MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Are these upgrade instructions a joke?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2017-06-23, 05:31 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]please refrain from posting comments

OK I will Smile
Even formation in <h1> in the documentation for making backups! will change nothing at the fact if someone dont read the manuel at all.
Upgrade was from 1.8.4 to 1.8.12. So the diff update wasn't possible. Had to do a full upgrade - you all assumed wrong about the diff update.

I did completely read the instructions and ended up with the understanding of my FTP client that it would overwrite directories on the server. In this situation a backup would have only served as a way to restore deleted files. If you read the documentation not knowing that GUI ftp clients are smart about their overwrites those instructions are strawberry scary.

I do concede that a modern FTP client with sync features will not destroy the install.

I'll repeat so you guys can wet yourselves again.

I do concede that a modern FTP client with sync features will not destroy the install.

I ended up with an rsync from local to the server to only update changed files.
Here:

[attachment=39024]

and for the note:

[attachment=39025]
Thanks for not reading my posts.
For one so sanctimonious about reading you sure fail pretty well.

Not only have you mis-read me, you continue to double-down on your mistake.
No i dont, its just a fault on your side... if you upgrade and not upgrade which files get overwriten? Correct the core files! If this undo edits on your side... this consider of your own missunderstanding.
Cause if you make your modifications to core and not use the plugin engine you should know what you do, and again the folders get merged not overwritten, only core files get overwritten. If you use a software the wrong way that is not the fault of any documentation.

For example you have a 1.8.4 and upgrade to 1.8.12 you just can copy all folders and files over your existing files and folders.... core files get replaced, custom files just stay (avartars, uploads, smiles....) then running the upgrade script and all is fine... so i can't reproduce your failure cause its related to missunderstanding software and his usage. Like FTP, rsync or even MyBB.
Guys like just be careful with what files you overwrite and bam like problamo solved!
The last update I did overwrote a bunch of smilies. So I'm rightfully paranoid about the upgrade process. The instructions led to needing to restore files from a backup.

I'll continue to be paranoid when the upgrade of a semi-complex piece of software, software that doesn't properly separate out the core and custom files on the filesystem, and that doesn't provide a way to easily separate them (or at least I can't find the documentation on it), is a manual process. I don't think about myBB day in and out. Its a couple times a year that I notice an update and apply it. Each time having to re-read the instructions and remember that I've been burned by them before.

This is practically the only time I think about rudimentary things such as SFTP software.
So again, you missused a software wich drop a folder instead of merging them, what is default behavior for all ftp/sftp clients (so clearly missused) fault on your self and then say its the problem from the manual?
There is no reason to change the directory for anything cause its normaly never get overwritten... thats why i do not understand you problem. Or you just looking for an excuseion for your self?
If you've overwritten any default MyBB file, of course an upgrade will overwrite them. They're not supposed to be modified. The same applies to people who edit core files to add functionality instead of using the plugin system. In the ACP you can edit the smilies and specify the path to each one. Simple as that.

You won't lose any additional files when upgrading.

(2017-06-23, 05:42 AM)Gipetto Wrote: [ -> ]Upgrade was from 1.8.4 to 1.8.12.

You should upgrade as soon as a new release is available. Otherwise you put your forum and your users at risk.
Pages: 1 2 3