MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Are these upgrade instructions a joke?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2017-06-23, 04:38 AM)Gipetto Wrote: [ -> ]Am I missing something?
Apparently so.  Blindly copying everything is where your problem started.
Yes, it would be helpful for the upgrade instructions to "lower the bar" for those who would "blindly copy" everything.
However, that would require instructions on how to use "your" ftp client - you are expected to know that already. 
And that is not in the purview of this software.

Good advice was given to create a custom image folder for your custom images.
(2017-06-23, 06:22 AM)Gipetto Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think about myBB day in and out. Its a couple times a year that I notice an update and apply it. Each time having to re-read the instructions and remember that I've been burned by them before.

Without commenting on the aspects of this thread that have folks energized, I think this point speaks to the situation for a large number of users. I spend so little time playing in the admin area of my server, that it mostly just represents an opportunity to screw something up.

Each time I read the MyBB upgrade instructions I immediately think of 50 other things I would rather do, because I need to set about 4 hours aside to relearn all the information required.
(2017-08-26, 11:56 PM)Roger R Wrote: [ -> ]Without commenting on the aspects of this thread that have folks energized, I think this point speaks to the situation for a large number of users. I spend so little time playing in the admin area of my server, that it mostly just represents an opportunity to screw something up.

Each time I read the MyBB upgrade instructions I immediately think of 50 other things I would rather do, because I need to set about 4 hours aside to relearn all the information required.

I'm not sure what you expect. Running a forum is a technical job. Would you rather have comprehensive documentation which details how not to screw up, or documentation which sacrifices that for simplicity?
It's kind of a rookie mistake.
It indicates that one does not know how to effectively use their FTP client.
One needs to pay attention and choose carefully:

[attachment=39251]
Pages: 1 2 3