MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My site got crashed. Help me choose good host.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. I am using MyBB for past one month and my website got crashed today. I am using fatcow shared hosting and I have 5000+ registered members till yet. And I hope to cross 20,000 members by next month. My forum is an educational forum and there are about 100 sections inside it. Obviously everything is free and non profit so I am little tight on budget. 
Any host which can handle 50,000 users and 200 forum sections with 1000 members online would do my job. Please note, price is as important as performance for me. 
Or you can suggest me if I buy a VPS, what configuration should i use?
one host is offering me VPS with these configuration: OpenStack KVM

1 vCore
2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
10 GB SSD
Local RAID 10

Should i consider it?
PS: Any help is highly appreciated.
All I will say is, go for a reputed host and don't try unestablished ones. It is not worth the risk.
Reputed hosts like whom? Fatcow has been a old friend but it's not meeting my requirements now.
I don't want to name hosts. Someone else will take the honour.

You can check hosting related forums for reputed names, reviews and offers.
You should run minimum with 2 cores... better 4 and 64 bit system
8-12gb ram should be fine for your requirements...

Configuration for example nginx, mariadb or pgsql, php71 as fpm, redis ... there are many ways to configure a system and many different suggestion. (I rly suggest you to not run apache)
You can optimize realy many things thrue nginx and are able to optimize a good system to additional with good configured cloudflare.

This are based on my expirience.

If you need some more advice or help with server technics or optimizing feel free to pm me or ask here. I can recommand some hoster too if you like, i testet many over the years.
I use thc servers never had any problems with them

https://www.thcservers.com/portal/
Nice affiliate link, i report this post, ask ppl if they like to get this information like me... side not you linked a very costy hoster...

You will pay Monthly $74.95 for
CPU: 4 Core
RAM: 5120 MB
Disk Space: 220 GB

Relay? I wish you where a customer of me.

I will pay arround 17$
CPU: Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4 - 4 dedicated cores
RAM: 12 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)
HDD: 60 GB SSD / 480 GB SAS

and arround 32$ for
CPU: Intel® Xeon® E5-2680V4 - 4 dedicated cores
RAM: 24 GB DDR4 RAM (ECC)
HDD: 120 GB SSD / 960 GB SAS

But i see this so extremly often here on the board and dont understand why.
There are so much good hoster but every time someone tell us the hoster i see extreme prices like yours...

PS.: i dont click your affiliate for this.
If you want there are man providers who have cheap pricing but they always have a catch like your VPS is OVZ and you can't use too much resources(you get in your plan), but there are also some hosts who have cheap but promising servers like SSDBlaze,
you can get a 2GB server with 15GB SSD RAID1 and 500GB bandwidth only for $3.99 /monthly
Their VPS are powered by KVM so its best option for me i myself have two servers from them and they all are working fine without a single problem.

Check here https://ssdblaze.com/servers/
(2017-08-19, 06:39 PM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]You should run minimum with 2 cores... better 4 and 64 bit system

Utter crap.

You can run a forum with 1k members online with at least half that; if you're conservative, a quarter of that.

Yes, 1 core and 2GB of RAM will do the job - but would require caching. Which, tbph, you'd be wanting to do anyway. With an SSD.
(2017-08-23, 07:47 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-19, 06:39 PM)broatcast Wrote: [ -> ]You should run minimum with 2 cores... better 4 and 64 bit system

Utter crap.

You can run a forum with 1k members online with at least half that; if you're conservative, a quarter of that.

Yes, 1 core and 2GB of RAM will do the job - but would require caching. Which, tbph, you'd be wanting to do anyway. With an SSD.

I know this is possiblem with much and many optimizing on mybb and on server side..

But you get what you say and read?

He already run:

1 vCore
2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
10 GB SSD
Local RAID 10

!!!

And you recommand him a server with the same specs or less? This is "Utter crap"...
He have already 100 sections and will expand up to 200 wich needs realy realy much core optimizing and caching.

Addidtional think about that most user have 10~15 plugins sometimes more ... arround 60%-75% of them are realy bad coded, byside the engine it self is not the best. Now if you calculate 1000k views at same time!!!! not on the day!!!! (read what he say) a single core will not be able to handle this...

Note he asked for a server who can handle its future requirements not his actualy requirements.

Give your best and challange me with a crapy apache on single core with mysql, without CF and show me how your single core server with 2gigs ram can handle this... you will get 20$ then.

Ps.: i'am not working in this bussines since yester day... and bring many server-, software- and infrastructure knowledge with me.
Pages: 1 2