MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [split] List of Confirmed Features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Unfortunately We live in bad times for forums scripts. Facebook, twitter have conquered forums and there is lack of interested for users but also devs.
myBB devs, do what they can and more what the feel to do, patching and keep alive mybb for free and their spare time.
I wish I could give more happy news, but so far version 2 has long road ahead
(2017-08-03, 04:45 PM)dyrer Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately We live in bad times for forums scripts. Facebook, twitter have conquered forums and there is lack of interested for users but also devs.
myBB devs, do what they can and more what the feel to do, patching and keep alive mybb for free and their spare time.

Well, if I am calculating the development time since the initial announcement of the idea of MyBB... it's going on 6 years now. (starting in 2011)

WAY TOO LONG to develop a program, regardless if it's free and/or done on a volunteer basis.

This is one good way to see the usage of MyBB as 'THE' forum based software go down drastically.

I have seen many former admins who had used MyBB software throw their collective hands up in the air and give up on MyBB.

Many admins are now using paid versions of available forum based software and are far happier with their decision.

Just saying...
(2017-09-09, 12:30 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if I am calculating the development time since the initial announcement of the idea of MyBB... it's going on 6 years now. (starting in 2011)

WAY TOO LONG to develop a program, regardless if it's free and/or done on a volunteer basis.

This is one good way to see the usage of MyBB as 'THE' forum based software go down drastically.

I have seen many former admins who had used MyBB software throw their collective hands up in the air and give up on MyBB.

Many admins are now using paid versions of available forum based software and are far happier with their decision.

Just saying...

"Just saying..."

That doesn't really provide a solution. Pay me a salary and I'll work on MyBB full time. That's a solution.
(2017-09-09, 03:25 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Pay me a salary and I'll work on MyBB full time. That's a solution.

This is the exact reason platforms like XenForo and vBullsh-- err, vBulletin work the way that they do and why they have such frequent updates. Because they earn money and can afford to feed themselves, and their families.
(2017-09-09, 12:30 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-08-03, 04:45 PM)dyrer Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately We live in bad times for forums scripts. Facebook, twitter have conquered forums and there is lack of interested for users but also devs.

Well, if I am calculating the development time since the initial announcement of the idea of MyBB... it's going on 6 years now. (starting in 2011)

Just saying...

the entire mybb staff is comprised of all volunteers. we have lives outside of mybb where we work full-time, have kids, have a family life, like doing other things in our spare time, etc..

you're more than welcome to contribute code to mybb 2.0 if you'd like to expedite the release: https://github.com/mybb/mybb2
Here's a suggestion, create a crowdfunding campaign. Given MyBBs reputation, I'm sure many people are willing to support its growth. With donations, the new exposure may encourage other devs to join in on the project. Font Awesome 5 raised over $1m on a goal of $30k.

Serpius does provide fair concern though. Six years is an eternity online, there's much more indirect competition now. The desire for traditional forums has decreased, with people moving away from creating them all together. Platforms like Reddit, Quora, Discourse, and others fill the gap. Additionally, the use of mobile devices has turned people away from creating sites and instead into using what's available.

MyBB 2 may be the best free to use forum software, but the issue isn't how it will be received, it's if it will be received at all. Will people care once it's finished? Spread the word, raise some money. There's no shame in doing that, it would be much better than releasing it a few years down the road.
I very much want MyBB to succeed, but at this rate, I'm afraid 2.0 just might not come to see the light of day.

If it does come out, I'm afraid that by that time it will be horribly outdated, unless they keep up with evolving tech and standards during development.

This is not to blame the devs, though, as they are volunteers who do the best they can with the time and the means that they have.

Raising some money to temporarily speed up development might not be such a bad idea.
I agree with OP and darkorus.

MyBB has plenty of volunteers, look at the Extensions an themes being or have been released. A team of 17 people (according to Github's contributors list) should be no problem if there was coordination. The last commit from any of the 17 people (volunteers) was August 6th - over a month ago.

My honest opinion (that's all it is) that MyBB and it's team are not doing the "best" that they can do. Yes, they are volunteers, but that's hiding behind a pole. They could earn money from running ads, teaming up with hosts, and much more (It  is possible).

I know it's possible because my 1.7 MyBB forum with 3 users and roughly 15 posts got me accepted into AdSense. I alone made a good $20.00 for having the forum up for 5 months before I decided to enlist in the Army and took it down. 3 users, 15 posts = $20.00 in 5 months.

I love MyBB, I really do, however, more could be done such as MyBB owning a Patreon and offering exclusive things through that. Either it be a cool badge on these forums or Discord, or making signatures Patreon only, increasing the flood timer to 2 minutes for normal users and 30 seconds for Patreons. Offer Patreons faster support/priority support.

The thing is, yes, they are not getting paid - but they can be paying themselves via Patreon, AdSense, Affiliates and more.

AdSense = Targeting Guests (Include a notice saying "Please disable Ad Block if you enjoy MyBB and want to see it develop)

Patreon = Targeting those who are actively on the forums and suggesting/contributing to the forum through Ideas or simply recommending it to everyone who needs a system for a community.

Affialiates = Offer exclusive inside screenshots, demos, and things that make them want to be a part of the MyBB community.

Hell, partner up with MyBB forums where they can pay you guys to advertise/have an image advertisement on this site.

There are things that can be done, they just are not being done.
(2017-09-11, 04:41 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]$20.00 in 5 months.

Let's assume that's how much this place will make using Adsense. This takes into account people (like me) who block ads.

$20 divided by 15 = $1.33

Divided by 5 months = $0.26

Divided into weeks = $0.065 - so $0.07 for each developer a week.

Not all that much.

Edit: I am not even going to go into Patreon, and affiliates. I will say this: Affiliates will never work - this is not a promotion forum, you can't half-arse a solution because it "seems to work elsewhere".
(2017-09-11, 05:03 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-09-11, 04:41 AM)Zaqre Wrote: [ -> ]$20.00 in 5 months.

Let's assume that's how much this place will make using Adsense. This takes into account people (like me) who block ads.

$20 divided by 15 = $1.33

Divided by 5 months = $0.26

Divided into weeks = $0.065 - so $0.07 for each developer a week.

Not all that much.

Edit: I am not even going to go into Patreon, and affiliates. I will say this: Affiliates will never work - this is not a promotion forum, you can't half-arse a solution because it "seems to work elsewhere".

That's your problem that you block ads, if you actually cared and support a site/product, you'd disable it. And no, that $20.00 is nothing compared to what MyBB will generate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4