MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hosting Companies, suggestions, recommendations.......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have realized, the hard way, some hosting companies are more practical, friendlier, easier to use or cost effective than others.

And some are just plain ol horrible, and turn off every resource making it impossible to run message forums as-is, or even customized scripts.

So are there any MyBB or overall Message forum friendly hosting companies that wont break the bank? Any recommendations, good or bad experiences?

For my situation, I am going to launch a series of forums, but the one will be getting press in the media. Rough scenario - We are predicting, 6 months to 1 year there will be around 1000 members, and around 300 users online at the same time. Of course we can fall short or exceed earlier, so growth plan will have to be in place.

If this is the wrong place for this topic, please forgive me.

Thank you for all your help, and a great piece of software and community! Cool
I would recommend dreamhost.com - very friendly support, and good servers depending on what package you get. I would suggest a VPS at minimum if your going to get 300 users online at the same time.
From the basic information you have given then I would say Tikitiki is probably right and you should go for a VPS.

You can search for a host and get informed answers on your questions about various hosts over at Web Hosting Talk
I'm currently on Servage.net, they're the dogs bo***cks!! They answer your support queries within 3-5 minutes and are 24/7. :p
helpbtcm Wrote:and around 300 users online at the same time

With 300 users online you'll be very hard pressed to have a VPS pull that off. We have a few large boards that we host (vBulletin based) with 100+ users online, and these boards require servers with minimal customers on them. When I say servers we're talking about beefy Dual Proc Opterons with 4GB of RAM and 15K SCSIs.

A VPS with this many users wouldn't give you instant load times (< 0.5 seconds). When it comes down to it you have to pay to play with serious traffic like that, but at the same time you should be monotizing it to cover your costs.
Then what is the best vps hosting ?
Tikitiki Wrote:I would recommend dreamhost.com - very friendly support, and good servers depending on what package you get. I would suggest a VPS at minimum if your going to get 300 users online at the same time.

DreamHost has sort of a VPS plan, but I have problems with them, because of their ultra-liberal freedom of speech policies.

You see, their clients include the American Nazi Party, and since I'm Jewish, this presented a crisis of conscience.

I ended up moving to a VPS plan at HostICan (since migrated to a dedicated server). They are way better than DreamHost in terms of uptime, performance, and speed.

The various MyBB forums I run perform superbly there, and I'd recommend them ahead of DreamHost, HostGator and the others.
My VPS is from Solid Host. (MiNT and DrPoodle also have a VPS from them).
I second servage...Most of my mybb sites are there. Very very few problems in relation to their cheap price. I have 2 accounts there. One account uses at least 10GB per day of bandwidth. Smile
I use HostingZoom/ResellerZoom ... never had any troubles, they have all sorts of packages available, very good value and great support (it is outsourced though I think, not thats its affected quality).
Pages: 1 2