MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Next development steps ("1.10")
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Quote:The decision to switch to package-based development and distribution (i.e. MyBB 2.0), increasing quality and development efficiency (and decreasing the number of issues by doing so) was based on technical experience alone when the turning down of feature requests because of 1.x limitations is excluded; this is not chasing the next shiny thing.

Meh, I get it. Just not sure if it's more important than a responsive theme and maybe just start with Twig or another theme package. I'm already catching a lot of crap at HF for example for making a huge leap in my 1.8x upgrade. You can expect similar backlash from the MyBB community if you alter too much at once. That's just my experience and opinion.

Quote:The current mailing system has been, and still is, problematic and replacing it with a well-tested alternative would eliminate a class of issues associated with it.

Mail system I can agree with. Easy enough to implement with almost no changes to plugins or the site functionality. One of the easy ones imho.

Quote:Highly difficult without a proper templating engine (Twig was chosen); limitations of the current one is often mentioned by theme creators.

Yes, Twig is nice, I've used it. No complaints about the choice.

Quote:Keeping up to date with constantly evolving standards is difficult, but maintaining support for versions and code that have been deprecated/reached end of life (eg: PHP 5.2, 5.3, 5.4) several years back isn't the answer either.

I won't make that argument either. I think software standards should take a lead from services standards. IMHO if you keep up to date with services then everything else will fall into place. Most of the home based MyBB admins are likely not running their own servers and use shared hosting. It would be good for MyBB to have the minimum requirements updated. Sysadmins should be skilled enough to deal with whatever MyBB does.
(2017-11-17, 08:45 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Keeping up to date with constantly evolving standards is difficult, but maintaining support for versions and code that have been deprecated/reached end of life (eg: PHP 5.2, 5.3, 5.4) several years back isn't the answer either.

I won't make that argument either. I think software standards should take a lead from services standards. IMHO if you keep up to date with services then everything else will fall into place. Most of the home based MyBB admins are likely not running their own servers and use shared hosting. It would be good for MyBB to have the minimum requirements updated. Sysadmins should be skilled enough to deal with whatever MyBB does.

I'll have to say I am actually going back on my earlier stance of leaving the PHP version alone. We should at least require 5.4 if not 5.5--
A template system would be a godsend, it doesn't matter if it's Twig, or even something which looks similar to what there is now. A template system is important. It's not only flexible, but it's faster than eval could ever hope to be.
As for standards and code reuse from other projects, it not only saves time, but it makes it easier for people to trace control flows, thus cutting down on the number of potential security exploits, eliminate bugs, roll releases out faster, etc.

PHP 5.6 has real variadics including the splat operator, the exponentiation operator, use function, and async queries for PgSQL. 5.5 has support for finally, the password API and generators.
Each version MyBB stays behind on is a version you can't use functionality from, another list of gotchas you've got to watch for, and it exposes people to security issues.

If someone runs MyBB on PHP 5.2 and gets hacked, then that'll be MyBB's fault to them.
All these versions whether it's 5.4 or 5.5 are EOL, a good start would be something that's actively supported.

One of the main reasons 2.0 is dead is probably because Euan, etc. have been extremely busy since 2016, not blaming him for it, but it shows how fragile 2.0 development is to begin with. One or two people getting busy can completely stop things from moving.

Practically nothing has been done this year. Just dead. Maybe, a few bits and pieces here and there, but even that was mostly at the start of the year and really recently. 2.0 is just dead. It's not even necessarily about chasing standards and never getting there. It's literally dead.

An entire year and only a few weeks or so worth of work has been done.
(2017-11-18, 03:16 AM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]One of the main reasons 2.0 is dead is probably because Euan, etc. have been extremely busy since 2016, not blaming him for it, but it shows how fragile 2.0 development is to begin with. One or two people getting busy can completely stop things from moving.

Practically nothing has been done this year. Just dead. Maybe, a few bits and pieces here and there, but even that was mostly at the start of the year and really recently. 2.0 is just dead. It's not even necessarily about chasing standards and never getting there. It's literally dead.

An entire year and only a few weeks or so worth of work has been done.

I have checked the github lately, and it's dead. Barely any work is being done at all, and it just goes to show that this project needs more people working on it, or far, far less objectives to reach new milestones.
https://github.com/mybb/mybb2/commit/a8e...53ec7584ad

Part of the problem is how much code they spend on trivial tasks. Over two thousand lines for a task system, that much code is just staggering, that's around the size of a small forum. I could do the same thing with Go Channels in... Wait for it. Five lines. Granted, with a lot less fluff and a little less neat, but still. Five lines for a task system.

PHP's a more limited language, so the solution is unlikely to be as neat and short as channels, but surely there's a better way.

Speaking of which, I am curious as to whether MyBB would have to do another rewrite after 2.0 when PHP is finally async. The world's moving in that direction, and the PHP Core Devs apparently have plans for that. Any language without async these days is third rate, so I am very curious to see what happens.

Blocking an entire core every-time you query the database until it returns (or the OS forces a costly context switch to give the other processes / threads fair usage) is a horrible, horrible waste of resources and isn't acceptable in the slightest. It's good that there are plans to rectify it.
Focus on making it mobile friendly please. That's the most important thing.
We are. Most probably next version will be 1.9 which will be mobile friendly.

Check this out: https://community.mybb.com/thread-214721...pid1292765
Hi All,
Any idea when mybb will be fully compatible with PHP 7?

Thanks
(2018-05-30, 02:21 AM)computing Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,
Any idea when mybb will be fully compatible with PHP 7?

Thanks

MyBB 1.8.15 should already be fully compatible with PHP 7.0. If you're encountering any errors, it would be a good idea to open a support thread for them.
Any reason why you choose swift mailer over phpMailer?
Pages: 1 2 3 4