MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [split: transparency] Denied Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2017-11-22, 06:43 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I also just want to add that whilst there haven't been many staff responses to this thread, it is being discussed. We will make a comment once we've reached an official position that we all agree on, but as I'm sure you can accept that may take a while.
Where its being discussed? Secret garden, secret room underground or elsewhere?
This proves that there is hidden dev-related discussion taking place somwhere. Open developement, open source, open everything; just different definition of being open.
As its now, MyBB starts to fall out of the scope of definition of open standards.
(2017-11-23, 10:26 AM)devs Wrote: [ -> ]Where its being discussed? Secret garden, secret room underground or elsewhere?
This proves that there is hidden dev-related discussion taking place somwhere. Open developement, open source, open everything; just different definition of being open.
As its now, MyBB starts to fall out of the scope of definition of open standards.

I fail to see how a private discussion about MyBB policy is "dev-related" as you said. It's policy, not development.
The rent on the secret underground room got too expensive so we had to stop using it, but yes, as this is a MyBB.com-specific policy, obviously there will be internal discussion about it as well as public community discussion, so we can discuss people's concerns and suggestions in a more structured manner before feeding back.
(2017-11-23, 10:39 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]The rent on the secret underground room got too expensive so we had to stop using it, but yes, as this is a MyBB.com-specific policy, obviously there will be internal discussion about it as well as public community discussion, so we can discuss people's concerns and suggestions in a more structured manner before feeding back.

Thats an essence why MyBB is in state its now....... 
Discussions regarding script (as a whole) has to be open; No exceptions from this should exist nor should be taken into planning.....
Otherwise stop calling MyBB open project.....
I'm pretty sure you'll find all the forum software teams, and indeed any software run by a core group of people, will have some form of communication channel that is private to them.

I don't think discussing this is really the aim of this thread though.
(2017-11-23, 02:46 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure you'll find all the forum software teams, and indeed any software run by a core group of people, will have some form of communication channel that is private to them.
Sure thing, but this channel is not meant to house development-related discussion.....

Quote:I don't think discussing this is really the aim of this thread though.
Why do you think so?
I kind of agree that too much behind-the-scenes discussions are being made then decisions based on those discussions happen and the community is left to have an aftermath feedback. Where was the original discussion about this policy for example? I don't recall ever there being any community input about it. Just one day it was changed.
(2017-11-23, 04:15 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I kind of agree that too much behind-the-scenes discussions are being made then decisions based on those discussions happen and the community is left to have an aftermath feedback.  Where was the original discussion about this policy for example?  I don't recall ever there being any community input about it.  Just one day it was changed.

That discussion happened many years back, when the team kept a lot of decisions and discussions private and behind closed doors. There is probably some record hidden somewhere, but I'm not sure where (and the majority of the staff who were involved have likely long since moved on).

As said above, this discussion is specific to the site, not development or the software at all. Any development or project discussions happen in the open - either on the forum, on GitHub, or on Discord. I don't know how many times I have to repeat the same thing to you "devs", but seriously your whole attitude is really grinding my gears by now.
No grinding of gears is intended. Apologies if my comments were taken for an attitude.
@labrocca Euan was probably referring to @devs, who is definitely not understanding the recurring point we have been explaining for like 2 months now.
Pages: 1 2