MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Actually release this product?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Don't let this be another MyBB 2.0 where you talk about it for almost 7 years and never release (MyBB 2.0 been discussed at least since late 2012).
Sorry Lunorian, where are all of those pull requests you've submitted to the 2.0 repo to speed things up?
Quit the 2.0 bitching. Be happy the team is giving us 1.10 and let's make the best of it.
(2017-11-24, 05:20 PM)Tactrus Wrote: [ -> ]Quit the 2.0 bitching. Be happy the team is giving us 1.10 and let's make the best of it.

They said they will, but they said the same about 2.0 then gave up. Sorry if I have a distrust anything will ever get finished.
(2017-11-24, 05:03 PM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]Don't let this be another MyBB 2.0 where you talk about it for almost 7 years and never release (MyBB 2.0 been discussed at least since late 2012).

I hardly think that posting this thread is the right way to go about this. :/

2.0 has not been cancelled, it has not been delayed due to the team thinking it would be funny to delay it, it has been delayed because the original time frame was not realistic. Especially since when originally announced 2.0 was just a concept with no implementation and from then has received less than it's fair share of attention compared with the ancient 1.x codebase.

Lunorian, I appreciate it is frustrating to see 2.0 potentially be delayed again with a new "bridge" (now 1.10) you are not alone in thinking this. I have seen the other side of the coin from previously being on the team and it is frustrating for us as volunteers to attempt to catch up with the community's unrealistic vision of 2.0 being released the next day. While we would very much like this to be the case, expectations need to be carefully managed. Done right by incrementally bringing 1.10 closer to what 2.0 will be may make the process of moving to 2.0 that bit easier. Smile

(2017-11-24, 05:11 PM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry Lunorian, where are all of those pull requests you've submitted to the 2.0 repo to speed things up?

Not just 2.0 - submitting PRs to fix issues with 1.x would also be helpful as others could then focus more on 2.0.
The problem with 2.0 is that the world is changing, the goalposts constantly getting changed.

Likes are already obsolete with reactions becoming a thing.
SASS might become obsolete with CSS4.
2.0's theme is fairly dated for the present time.
PHP's likely going to go async in the near future (for significant speed improvements) which'll mean more changes to take advantage of that.

The idea of the monolithic five year project just doesn't work.
In theory, a 1.10 should do a lot better, as it just needs to focus on the here and now.
(2017-11-24, 10:18 PM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with 2.0 is that the world is changing, the goalposts constantly getting changed.

PHP's likely going to go async in the near future (for significant speed improvements) which'll mean more changes to take advantage of that.

In theory, a 1.10 should do a lot better, as it just needs to focus on the here and now.

It just worries me that history will repeat itself.
(2017-11-29, 04:26 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-24, 10:18 PM)Azah Wrote: [ -> ]The problem with 2.0 is that the world is changing, the goalposts constantly getting changed.

It just worries me that history will repeat itself.
You could always just switch forum software.
(2017-11-29, 05:51 AM)mikeh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 04:26 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]It just worries me that history will repeat itself.

This 100%. There are people in the MyBB community who do nothing to contribute or actively further development of the project yet consistently complain about the "lack of progress". These people have no understanding or tolerance for the fact that the developers have tangible real lives to live - be it school, family or work commitments.

If you don't like the pace at which MyBB progresses then either do something about it yourself and start filing PRs or find a software more aligned to your expectations. Undecided
(2017-11-29, 02:14 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 05:51 AM)mikeh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-11-29, 04:26 AM)Lunorian Wrote: [ -> ]It just worries me that history will repeat itself.

This 100%. There are people in the MyBB community who do nothing to contribute or actively further development of the project yet consistently complain about the "lack of progress". These people have no understanding or tolerance for the fact that the developers have tangible real lives to live - be it school, family or work commitments.

If you don't like the pace at which MyBB progresses then either do something about it yourself and start filing PRs or find a software more aligned to your expectations. Undecided

Ah but when I submit a PR I get a response saying let's do it this more complicated way despite the fact it fixes the issue. That doesn't encourage me to contribute.
Pages: 1 2 3