MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multiple Thread Prefixes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2017-12-11, 07:33 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]I believe so. The tags could possibly be used to populate the meta keywords HTML element too.

The keywords meta tag is largely irrelevant these days - I'm not aware of a single search engine that makes use of it in their search ranking algorithms.
(2017-12-11, 07:59 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-11, 07:33 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]I believe so. The tags could possibly be used to populate the meta keywords HTML element too.

The keywords meta tag is largely irrelevant these days - I'm not aware of a single search engine that makes use of it in their search ranking algorithms.

Hm that's odd, I'd heard that they were still useful so that search engines could correctly catalogue a page, is this no longer the case?
(2017-12-12, 09:10 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-11, 07:59 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]

Hm that's odd, I'd heard that they were still useful so that search engines could correctly catalogue a page, is this no longer the case?

Nope, as far as I know Google in particular have all but ignored it for a while. This blog post from 2009 explains it a little: https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2009/0...a-tag.html

There's also a list of meta tags that Google understands: https://support.google.com/webmasters/an...9812?hl=en
There's probably a search engine out there which supports it, but the problem with users suggesting meta tags, is that you give Google all the reason to penalize you for something stupid, and it won't even give you much of a benefit if it does work.
I was searching for this and I support this myself.

As someone running a media and gaming discussion based interest forum there are many multi platform games and one prefix isn't enough when there are all combinations of 10-15 game consoles that games are on.
Also some media are distributed over Movies / TV series / Books etc it would just be nice to have dedicated discussion threads on all forms of media for something like the different things in the marvel universe etc.

Currently I'm using [Multi Platform] for games but its still not enough to show players what system a game is on I am thinking of adding the platforms to every thread title but it would have to be added manually for EVERY thread and then hardly everyone will actively manually type it it when making the thread making that virtually impossible to police if we get a lot of game threads in the future being made.
If we went a single prefix and combinations it would be a huge list of prefix combinations and would just be stupid and unfilterable.
Users also don't know all the systems a game is on as it is.

Some games are only on PS4 / XBOne or PC / PS4 or even PC / XBOne or all consoles or just on Vita / PS4 etc etc etc.
It's a nightmare to show this info to people as games can own or not any number of console,s some play on a specific console some on PC, some on handheld and want to know what games are relevant on their main platform of choice.
We also don't want to duplicate threads for every system as a game its story and gameplay should be discussed as a whole and not based platform etc.

A example using Skyrim one of the most current multi platform games of this age this is what we would have:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim [PC] [PS3] [PS4] [Switch] [Xbox 360] [Xbox One] 

I know in the templates you 'could' edit the code so prefix would be suffix if you change the tag order in threadlist or possibly lime a br su the prefix and title become duel line with the prefix on the first or second line etc which would be exactly what would work with us.
For multi platform and topic discussions that have many combinations (gaming is a good example) multiple prefixes is a must to be able to filter the info properly.
The example above it would end up looking like:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
[PC] [PS3] [PS4] [Switch] [Xbox 360] [Xbox One] 

Which leads me to the search system which needs to be able to handle multiple prefix combinations 1 or many to search by as a if it includes needs to only be able to match just one of the prefixes you are multiples you are searching by or must match all of the prefixes you are searching by together as a conditional.

Even software lists for Linux / OSX / Windows can use it as well as Android / IOS software its something thats growing more some only on one thing some only on the other some the same on both and more discussions in these areas it should be standard to avoid duplication with all the cross compatibility.

Even VR HTC / Oculus / other brands could use it in discussions about what games need what VR headsets in a VR forum discussion.

And many other things can really go nuts with prefixes and filtering.

It's one of those features no one does or does rightly and most people would use if done very well and one of those core things which would really make MyBB stand out from the other forum software out there.
I would like to bump this topic, mainly because I feel it is an extremely useful feature that should be implemented but also because there was not a yes or no given regarding implementation other than the 1.10 prefix. Does this mean this is something being pushed for 1.10 release? Or its only a possibility it will come with 1.10?
(2018-11-12, 11:18 PM)isoldehn Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to bump this topic, mainly because I feel it is an extremely useful feature that should be implemented but also because there was not a yes or no given regarding implementation other than the 1.10 prefix. Does this mean this is something being pushed for 1.10 release? Or its only a possibility it will come with 1.10?

Why wait for this to be implemented for 1.10.xx series?

Why not do this for the 1.9.xx series?
Probably basing it on importance. I don’t see this as a high issue that needs done ASAP compared to some of the things coming with 1.9. Perhaps just not enough time to get it done yet.
Hi,

Your feature suggestion has been accepted as a planned feature to be implemented in MyBB. Thanks for your contribution!

https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3497
1.9 is feature locked (meaning no other new features will be added). This would be a 1.10 feature instead, as it will need a couple of database edits along with work to migrate existing prefixes to the new database structure.
Pages: 1 2 3