MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Should MyBB become a paid platform?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I prefer this platform over XenForo and VBulletin. What I hate about it is the bugs that come after each update, that it's not mobile friendly and that it doesn't have inbuilt SEO.

This is because it's a free software.

If it was a paid platform MyBB would be better because people work much harder when they're earning money. Why not charge $50-$100 per license and work harder on it? VBulletin and XenForo are not much better than this software despite their expensiveness so you could easily outcompete them.
(2017-12-14, 07:01 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer this platform over XenForo and VBulletin. What I hate about it is the bugs that come after each update, that it's not mobile friendly and that it doesn't have inbuilt SEO.

If it was a paid platform MyBB would be better because people work much harder when they're earning money. Why not charge $50-$100 per license and work harder on it? VBulletin and XenForo are not much better than this software despite their expensiveness so you could easily outcompete them.

That's a very complicated question. If you make it paid you could end up realizing that the market is saturated and you have no customers.

IMHO if they get 1.10 straight they could ask for donations, but the model to go for a software like this is looking for a sponshorship, either from a large company, NGO, public institution... but that's difficult.

Forums didn't evolve that much because social media took it all, but now social media is falling again and forums still have one thing over social media: Organized information in a very suitable design for debates. Has anyone tried to organize debates over facebook? It's a nightmare. Or even twitter, it's very frustrating.

Let's not loose our hope. MyBB needs to tackle the mobile problem first, and move from there.
Well, it's hard to say, MyBB is free software and it should stay that way because if we change that we will have a lot of looses in users and all, and on the other hand, If we seprate MyBB to paid and free software it will loose quality.

It's best this way in my opinion.
MyBB always will be free. It's part of what makes MyBB what it is.
I don't understand the recurring mobile / seo complaints. It's been mobile for a long time (with gomobile addon and other custom themes, and everybody can learn a bit of CSS to customize). It's had SEO URLs for an even longer time (even before Google SEO, there was another addon). Whoever wanted these things, has already had it for years now.
(2017-12-14, 08:11 PM)iagovar Wrote: [ -> ]Forums didn't evolve that much because social media took it all, but now social media is falling again and forums still have one thing over social media: Organized information in a very suitable design for debates. Has anyone tried to organize debates over facebook? It's a nightmare. Or even twitter, it's very frustrating.

Forums and social networking sites are different types of websites. Forums will never fall because like you said, they're very suitable for debates and storage of information. Reddit is much more similar to a forum than a social network and look at how popular it is.

Anyway, I really hope they make it responsive soon because it's crucial for websites nowadays.

(2017-12-14, 09:03 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the recurring mobile / seo complaints. It's been mobile for a long time (with gomobile addon

It hasn't been updated since 2014 and it doesn't look good.
No it should remain free, that is why I chose it.

Yes there are niggles after each update, but you can usually sort them out. It's the best free forum software out there and I need free as my forum is run on a tight budget from my pocket.

I'm also not convinced that paid for forum software is any better by what I have seen.

Keep it free, it's the spirit of MyBB.
(2017-12-14, 08:11 PM)iagovar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-14, 07:01 PM)lomazzo Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer this platform over XenForo and VBulletin. What I hate about it is the bugs that come after each update, that it's not mobile friendly and that it doesn't have inbuilt SEO.

That's a very complicated question. If you make it paid you could end up realizing that the market is saturated and you have no customers.

IMHO if they get 1.10 straight they could ask for donations, but the model to go for a software like this is looking for a sponshorship, either from a large company, NGO, public institution... but that's difficult.

Forums didn't evolve that much because social media took it all, but now social media is falling again and forums still have one thing over social media: Organized information in a very suitable design for debates. Has anyone tried to organize debates over facebook? It's a nightmare. Or even twitter, it's very frustrating.

Let's not loose our hope. MyBB needs to tackle the mobile problem first, and move from there.

Man, that is a great comment.
(2017-12-14, 08:43 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB always will be free. It's part of what makes MyBB what it is.

Big Grin  MyBB is free .
(2017-12-14, 09:03 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand the recurring mobile / seo complaints. It's been mobile for a long time (with gomobile addon and other custom themes, and everybody can learn a bit of CSS to customize). It's had SEO URLs for an even longer time (even before Google SEO, there was another addon). Whoever wanted these things, has already had it for years now.

Exactly and there are lots of free MyBB themes and plugins which can make forums great. I am not sure what OP had in mind.
Pages: 1 2