MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why would MyBB remove features?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2018-01-09, 05:59 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously would you rather install a plugin or two to a bare stripped MyBB version or just install the bloated one?

I would rather add the plugins I want to the bare stripped version of MyBB.
(2018-01-11, 05:08 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-09, 05:59 PM)metulburr Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously would you rather install a plugin or two to a bare stripped MyBB version or just install the bloated one?

I would rather add the plugins I want to the bare stripped version of MyBB.

I don't see a reason for that. MyBB should be and is famous for being one of platforms which is really easy to use. And it should stay same.

I don't see a point of installing forum and need to upload 20 different plugins than. And let's be honest you need experience and knowledge to know all of that, where to search and how to use.
I think 1.8 right now is quite alright in terms of core features (except still lacking a proper alerts/notification system and conversation-based system instead of regular PMs; but both of these things will eventually be added to 1.1x, which is good).
(2018-01-11, 10:29 PM)Ikerepc Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see a point of installing forum and need to upload 20 different plugins than. And let's be honest you need experience and knowledge to know all of that, where to search and how to use.

Who uses 20 plugins?
(2018-01-12, 11:05 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-11, 10:29 PM)Ikerepc Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see a point of installing forum and need to upload 20 different plugins than. And let's be honest you need experience and knowledge to know all of that, where to search and how to use.

Who uses 20 plugins?

Lots of forums do. My own forum has around 16 custom plugins to provide various functions. Some plugins come in pairs also (i.e. one provides global functions for others to use). I've seen forums use as many as 40 in the past.

I do; forums are popular because they're modular. I don't need tabs, so it's a plugin so you can use it.
(2018-01-12, 11:05 PM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]

Who uses 20 plugins?

I have 58 plugins installed and activated. More installed but deactivated for various reasons. I also have who knows how many core edits and custom files
The calendar needs a fair bit of work and most people seem not to bother with it. So it's just extra work to maintain.

To me, it needs things like:
- ability to show upcoming events (not just birthdays) in like a list form. (Or for extra fancy layouts, maybe display a whole week in a block form.)
- ability to post events to the calendar from anywhere (so like if you were writing a topic you could have a box for "post to calendar on <date>" so you could add events quickly and easily).
- ability to link directly to posts (so this way if you were having a contest start date you could post it to the calendar and link directly to the topic).
- (if alerts are available) ability to send alerts out for events. (So like if you were planning on a gaming event like overwatch on the 20th you could post it to the calendar on the 5th then on the 13th it'd send out an alert. Then maybe again on the 18th it'd post again.)
- ability to show events for certain groups/members only. (So like if you wanted to have a live chat with staff members or you could post an event that only they could see. )

Maybe if the calendar gets pulled and turned into a plugin, then gets worked on, it could possibly get reintegrated into the core in a later version if people really like/use it.
(2018-01-14, 06:55 PM)VirusZero Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe if the calendar gets pulled and turned into a plugin, then gets worked on, it could possibly get reintegrated into the core in a later version if people really like/use it.
Or it could just remain a plugin, which has more advantages.
(2019-09-04, 01:36 AM)Kieutrang Wrote: [ -> ]I know some of you are going to say "we need a small simple version". The devs could fork a complicated version, and you guys can stick to the featureless MyBB, while those that like a lot of plugins/features could use the bloated MyBB. Seriously would you rather install a plugin or two to a bare stripped MyBB version or just install the bloated one?

MyBB is not being actively developed, you have to accept that. The best thing that can happen now is for a group of interested persons to fork MyBB instead of complaining about the uselessness of this team.
Pages: 1 2 3