MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why No Ads in MyBB Official Site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Why no Ads in MYBB Official site. it free and Open source but they can place the ads in site to get some revenue to cover the price of hosting, domains and other stuff, so they can make MYBB to get level with the fund received from Ads earning. They can put clean ads like Google adsense.

It just a Questions. Even I like browsing without ads Smile Toungue
Advertisements are super annoying and most people using this site are most likely using advert blocker plugins anyway.
(2018-01-19, 09:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Advertisements are super annoying and most people using this site are most likely using advert blocker plugins anyway.

Why not try it for a month? Put one on the header and the footer. I'm sure you could at least get $100-200 a month?
(2018-01-20, 06:55 AM)TaylorCTU Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-19, 09:06 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Advertisements are super annoying and most people using this site are most likely using advert blocker plugins anyway.

Why not try it for a month? Put one on the header and the footer. I'm sure you could at least get $100-200 a month?

That kind of decision would be up to the management team in the end, but I don't think there's any chance it's going to happen.
I would like to see this happen because MyBB is free and the team works for free so it would be nice for the team to be making a little money also it will help with hosting, domain, etc...

I support this.
We used to have sponsored links ages ago and they likely didn't bring enough in to make it worth continuing. I think we've been making progress on getting donations set up (has been difficult due to us not being registered, as well as Chris' tax situation working in the U.S.) but I think we'd much prefer that sort of revenue stream than serving ads anyway.
If MyBB used Google Adsense it'd be immediately blocked at the networking level on my router (my network has a zero tolerance policy for advertising and tracking servers - we have both a DNS Filter and a DPI Filter to block advertisements from reaching client endpoints). You'll find many of the biggest users of MyBB's forum are adblock/uBlock users, tradational advertising likely wouldn't bring in the big bucks. If MyBB wants to advertise they could do "sponsored stickies" let's say $100/day or something crazy.
I doubt ads would bring any great value in. I'm sure most people use Addblock or Ublock.

I don't see an add anywhere on the web and if I do I just add a custom block to filter them out.

I say stick to what they say on the home page "Free never tasted so good"
(2018-01-22, 04:05 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]I say stick to what they say on the home page "Free never tasted so good"

Free never tasted like pudding.

In seriousness though: the link to the "Free never tasted so good" page on the docs site is broken.
Dat picture Rolleyes

To be honest though, as much as I'm sure Chris would love to have all his costs covered, I don't think he'd want to ruin the site with ads to be able to do that regardless of whether most people would block them anyway.

(Will look at getting the docs page fixed)
Pages: 1 2