MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 Development Blog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2018-07-01, 01:28 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-01, 01:12 PM)WallBB Wrote: [ -> ]I posted because in the previous post only referring one designer name can give wrong implication

Alright, I have edited my post, not just to make you happy but if it is being proved that there are 'many' responsive themes available and maintained by many excellent theme designers - my point of that post is even more established.

Thank you for making me more than right Big Grin

Yes, there are responsive themes available for MyBB and that too from lot of designers Smile
Lots of people are waiting for MyBB 1.9, keep up the good work team. Smile
I'm stunned by some of the responses. Breaks my heart to read them. I can respect differing views but I really think some members here are not being realistic about today's webmaster standards for mobile compliance which have been floating around 2+ years.

The MyBB software is lagging behind. To even insinuate that admins using MyBB are responsible for the standards of MyBB on their own is mind-boggling to me. It sounds like this project is dead and we should just fork to continue active development if we want things done in a timely manner.

The arguments I'm reading are blowing me away. I can't even argue back because I'm pretty sure I'll flip out and just log out forever.

This is the kind of thing that causes forks to happen when the development of a project by the team is failing. Arguments have been to "do it yourself" and hey, that's a real possibility. Maybe it's time I do that then.
Your expressions and understanding workflows are out of my knowledge. It has never been said we will do nothing, we know the requirements and standards and infact the default responsive theme is already WIP.

Its not a child toy to hand it over whenever the child starts crying for it. The work is under progress and it will definitely take that much time what exactly it requires.

On the contrary I am surprised to see such approach from a veteran member like you towards MyBB team to show lollipops to run fast. MyBB developers are not your hired developers running behind money, they are volunteers developing an open source software out of their own wish spending their personal free times in exchange of nothing.

If you wanna fork the project feel fee to go ahead, it will be interesting to see how you will make it a success over the official one following which development twist.
(2018-07-01, 02:27 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm stunned by some of the responses.  Breaks my heart to read them.  I can respect differing views but I really think some members here are not being realistic about today's webmaster standards for mobile compliance which have been floating around 2+ years.

The MyBB software is lagging behind.  To even insinuate that admins using MyBB are responsible for the standards of MyBB on their own is mind-boggling to me.  It sounds like this project is dead and we should just fork to continue active development if we want things done in a timely manner.  

The arguments I'm reading are blowing me away.  I can't even argue back because I'm pretty sure I'll flip out and just log out forever.  

This is the kind of thing that causes forks to happen when the development of a project by the team is failing. Arguments have been to "do it yourself" and hey, that's a real possibility.  Maybe it's time I do that then.

Honestly, I can't understand your hostility towards the latest news. We've been working hard to build a responsive default theme which is what you have asked in the first place; there are other good enhancements already in place and planned for 1.9; development levels haven't been this high since years. On the other hand, you keep on claiming MyBB is dead and you should fork it for its own good; but I still can't see any contribution from you in the current 1.9 workflow, suggestions aside. That's kind of frustrating.
(2018-07-01, 02:27 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]The MyBB software is lagging behind.  

This is just it. Even phpBB managed to hack ProSilver to make it responsive. And they managed to get it out well before now.

MyBB as a project have made a lot of mistakes in the last few years. Now's the time to fix them.

(2018-07-01, 02:46 PM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]If you wanna fork the project feel fee to go ahead, it will be interesting to see how you will make it a success over the official one following which development twist.

Can we not be competitive about this, please? The way this is worded, you're basically asking for an open-source project "stacks-on".
First: Sorry for the slow/late response to this on my part. I spent all weekend out of town soaking up the rare warm weather that the UK is currently experiencing Toungue

I've already posted a very brief response to a very similar thread here: https://community.mybb.com/thread-218367...pid1307862

Since it was brought up here, I want to explain some of the thinking behind the idea of replacing SCEditor:

SCEditor has worked ok for 1.8, but there are several issues with it. First and foremost, development on SCEditor is slow (even by MyBB standards...) and there are many bugs and issues that people have reported to us over the years since 1.8 was released. Some of the issues are minor, but the one that is a real issue for myself is how poorly it works on mobile. As 1.9 is focused on adding a responsive theme and ensuring that MyBB works great on mobile devices, leaving an editor that lags during typing in place just seems like a really bad idea to me. I often use an iPad Pro to browse this site, and whilst typing in SCEditor I can type a response then sit and wait whilst it draws the text I've actually written into the rich text box. The very brief testing that I did of TinyMCE held up much better, with the editor being far more responsive on both my phone and iPad.

As I said in the other post that I linked above, I am currently working on writing another development update thread as I did when work on 1.9 began. In it I plan to cover what we have achieved so far and what is left to actually do. Hopefully that will help provide some more insight into the process and give a boost of confidence.
(2018-07-01, 04:47 PM)Shade Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-01, 02:27 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]This is the kind of thing that causes forks to happen when the development of a project by the team is failing. Arguments have been to "do it yourself" and hey, that's a real possibility.  Maybe it's time I do that then.

[...]you keep on claiming MyBB is dead and you should fork it for its own good; but I still can't see any contribution from you in the current 1.9 workflow, suggestions aside. That's kind of frustrating.

I'm guilty of not having done enough for 1.9 development, but I assure that every time I get a break, I am working on something MyBB related— I just work too much.

But still, I have to agree with Shade here.

labrocca, this isn't the first time I've heard you mention forking the project and heading in a different direction. But you don't contribute to 1.9, you rarely ever give the "how" of what you are suggesting, and finally, you are condescending to other users about their own opinion.

With all due respect, you need to take a look at how you approach "rallying the community."
I can understand where labrocca is coming from as far as the theme being responsive. I feel in reality 1.8 should have shipped with a responsive theme, not having it was a mistake on managements part at that time. That was my biggest disappointment with MyBB. Then you keep in mind how long everyone waited for 2.0 only to be scraped I can understand where he's coming from.

But I also want to say I'm very happy with the progress made on 1.9. I've been keeping up on Github and see the work the dev team has put in. This is the most active I've seen the team in years. It's been a long wait, but seeing the progress on Justin's demo site today truly makes me feel we could see the beta in no time.
(2018-07-03, 12:58 AM)marcgo15 Wrote: [ -> ]I can understand where labrocca is coming from as far as the theme being responsive. I feel in reality 1.8 should have shipped with a responsive theme, not having it  was a mistake on managements part at that time. That was my biggest disappointment with MyBB. Then you keep in mind how long everyone waited for 2.0 only to be scraped I can understand where he's coming from.

But I also want to say I'm very happy with the progress made on 1.9. I've been keeping up on Github and see the work the dev team has put in. This is the most active I've seen the team in years. It's been a long wait, but seeing the progress on Justin's demo site today truly makes me feel we could see the beta in no time.

I agree with everything you have said. Constant complaining and moaning towards the team is going to the complete opposite of what people are trying to achieve and going to de-motivate some members.

If people want to be helpful then feel free to create some pull requests towards the project on GitHub to help us release faster. Give the team some appreciation for what we are achieving on the progress of 1.9.
(2018-07-01, 02:27 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I'm stunned by some of the responses. Breaks my heart to read them. I can respect differing views but I really think some members here are not being realistic about today's webmaster standards for mobile compliance which have been floating around 2+ years.

The MyBB software is lagging behind. To even insinuate that admins using MyBB are responsible for the standards of MyBB on their own is mind-boggling to me. It sounds like this project is dead and we should just fork to continue active development if we want things done in a timely manner.

The arguments I'm reading are blowing me away. I can't even argue back because I'm pretty sure I'll flip out and just log out forever.

This is the kind of thing that causes forks to happen when the development of a project by the team is failing. Arguments have been to "do it yourself" and hey, that's a real possibility. Maybe it's time I do that then.

I think a lot of have to agree it is frustrating around the slowness of the development and i have to ask @labrocca i know you have done some good development in the past i would like to see you involved in helping more with 1.9 to get it going.

(2018-07-03, 11:59 AM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with everything you have said. Constant complaining and moaning towards the team is going to the complete opposite of what people are trying to achieve and going to de-motivate some members.

If people want to be helpful then feel free to create some pull requests towards the project on GitHub to help us release faster. Give the team some appreciation for what we are achieving on the progress of 1.9.

I note that you are now part of the community Ben and hopefully helping out. I have to agree with your comments and those of others here the negative talk is not going anywhere and posting in threads such as these takes time away from other tasks.

It is unfortunate that the community is lacking in good active leadership and design staff but what can we do about that personally i just dropped MyBB from three projects due to the lack of responsive design and whilst i had done about 70% of a theme to suit one project some simple things around hardcoded images annoyed me too much.

I am hoping 1.9 comes soon but given the need to redo themes and plugins to suit using it now is just too much work and with no release date close it means designers have to find other options and move away from the community.

This is what i think @labrocca is hinting at by saying the project is dead

There is no option to start working on themes and plugins now so that progression factor is lost.

I do understand that this is a voluntary community and as such it is damn hard to coordinate and get things done in a timely manner and a lack of documentation around where the development of 1.9 is at makes it hard to do anything but await a vague possibility of 1.9 coming out.

i have debated around where and how i can help given i sit at the PC everyday doing bugger all now and the odd project when i get asked too. honestly i have been out of the coding for over 7 years so am trying to get back into it slowly. if we had more documentation or direction then i guess others could also jump in and help

just my views and frustrations i do hope the Team keeps progressing things
Pages: 1 2 3 4