MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade To MyBB 1.8.17 Pre-Release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well, I put MyBB 1.8.17 Pre-Release onto my TEST website and from what I can tell so far, nothing seems to be breaking or missing any coding stuff.

So, after 1 hour of checking things out, I installed this on my live website. I do not see any issues so far. I will be monitoring this for the next hour or so.

It's weird to see 2 different versions. It shows 1.8.16 (in green) as the Latest version, but it also shows 'Your Version' as 1.8.17 in the screenshot.

Yea, yea, I know it was stated that MyBB has NOT provided the "changeling documentation page". That would account for that.

UPDATE: Everything seems to be running fine. I have not found or nor have my users found anything amiss.
I will continue to monitor this, but it seems that the hotfix did fix the ongoing issues.

[Image: d1355ab0772d90463e66c326b89d4798.png]
I'm always afraid of upgrading MyBB.

Any features/changes worth mentioning on .17?

Thanks for sharing.
There is no additional features / changes in 1.8.17. This version is mainly to address the bugs introduced with 1.8.16.
The full list of fixes is detailed in announcement thread:
https://community.mybb.com/announcement-38.html
@effone
I was forced to use mybb backup file version 1.8.15
will this 1.8.17 version later solve my problem?

the problem in my website is currently failing update. the upgrade process does not run to the next process. just spinning on a continuous upgrade page
Where is this 1.8.17 to download ? I try find it, but nothing see :-)

Ahh - here https://community.mybb.com/announcement-38.html  :-)
@terzier you can try the new package for sure. Unzip and reupload (replace) all the files, don't use only changed files. It should work.
This package is better tested and even running in community forums (here). So far no major issues found.
@effone. sorry, do you mean, new package 1.8.16 or 1.8.17?
New package 1.8.17
effone I want to personally thank you for taking my advice on the Pre Release I hope this will become a common thing.
I am running it on my board as is as its mainly a hotfix.
And found the stars are back, reports work and would love testing done to give feedback.

It may be a bit hard to find in that section I would have missed it if I didn't notice Serpius's post here.
I would suggest making it a little more known to the community, how about adding it to the top of the forum section alongside the current release like this?

[Image: snPjw4T.png]

I was also trying to find a Official 1.8.17 Pre Release bug report and feedback thread for us to give feedback in a single thread that you guys could scan for bug reports instead of feedback everywhere on the forum as that is easier for you guys to see the reports coming in and more efficiently do fixes for the final, but seems this post by Serpius will be that thread.

Something to take onboard for future pre-releases.
* Have a dedicated thread or area for reports you can scan.
* Make the release more publicly shown than a thread somewhere on this forum which wouldn't be noticed as its in a unused forum section.
* admin area notices for future.

I praise you for doing this pre release its a step in the right direction and I know you guys may be apprehensive about more public acknowledgement and mainstream placement of the notice but it's well worth it in the end as you will get more testers people seeing and testing finding bugs for the final.
(2018-07-13, 10:12 AM)drguild Wrote: [ -> ]effone I want to personally thank you for taking my advice on the Pre Release I hope this will become a common thing.
I am running it on my board as is as its mainly a hotfix.
And found the stars are back, reports work and would love testing done to give feedback.

It may be a bit hard to find in that section I would have missed it if I didn't notice Serpius's post here.
I would suggest making it a little more known to the community, how about adding it to the top of the forum section alongside the current release like this?

[Image: snPjw4T.png]

I was also trying to find a Official 1.8.17 Pre Release bug report and feedback thread for us to give feedback in a single thread that you guys could scan for bug reports instead of feedback everywhere on the forum as that is easier for you guys to see the reports coming in and more efficiently do fixes for the final, but seems this post by Serpius will be that thread.

Something to take onboard for future pre-releases.
* Have a dedicated thread or area for reports you can scan.
* Make the release more publicly shown than a thread somewhere on this forum which wouldn't be noticed as its in a unused forum section.
* admin area notices for future.

I praise you for doing this pre release its a step in the right direction and I know you guys may be apprehensive about more public acknowledgement and mainstream placement of the notice but it's well worth it in the end as you will get more testers people seeing and testing finding bugs for the final.

I'd second DrGuild's suggestion in regards to making the Pre-Release Announcements a bit more prominent, especially in the main Community page.

That's a great suggestion to have a dedicated FORUM for the Pre-Release reports (AND Official Releases, too) because I noticed with the release of 1.8.16, there are multiple threads in different forums and those can be hard to keep track of all of the reports and issues. Many of those posts were repetitive because many users did not bother to check the other forums for answers.

If the admins of MyBB can contain those kinds of threads and posts into a single dedicated FORUM, then everyone will be forced to go to that forum and find the answers to their issues there.

I propose that the admins of MyBB consider these 2 forum additions.

Under the Development section - Create the Pre-Release forum and the Official Release forum. Do not put version numbers on those 2 forums. You can create sub-forums for specific version releases. For example: Pre-Release → 1.8.xx, Pre-Release → 1.9.xx. Same for the Official Release → 1.8.xx, Official Release → 1.9.xx

Keeping everything in it's place will enable all users to find the information quickly and hopefully will cut down on repetitive threads/posts in different forums that others might miss.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5