MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Preventing new replies in closed threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When a moderator closes a thread, most users will see a prominent Thread Closed label, with a padlock icon, and they will be prevented from posting new replies. That, of course, is exactly how it should be.

But other moderators don't see the Thread Closed label, and are free to make further posts to the thread.

Is there any way of changing that? So, when a moderator arrives at a closed thread, it looks and behaves just as it would to an ordinary user?

If that's not possible (or if it's very difficult), can I at least display some sort of warning or message to inform the moderator that the thread is closed?

I've looked at what I think are the relevant templates, but I'm having difficulty working out how they work.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
(2018-07-31, 08:57 AM)Mike QS Wrote: [ -> ]When a moderator closes a thread, most users will see a prominent Thread Closed label, with a padlock icon, and they will be prevented from posting new replies. That, of course, is exactly how it should be.

But other moderators don't see the Thread Closed label, and are free to make further posts to the thread.

Is there any way of changing that? So, when a moderator arrives at a closed thread, it looks and behaves just as it would to an ordinary user?

If that's not possible (or if it's very difficult), can I at least display some sort of warning or message to inform the moderator that the thread is closed?

I've looked at what I think are the relevant templates, but I'm having difficulty working out how they work.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

You may have already looked at this, but it's worth double checking this in your AdminCP.

You can do this as a group or as per user. 
If you only have one moderator, then, it's best to do it individually. 
But, if you have a group moderating a forum, then it's best to do User Group permissions.

[Image: 6759049eebd6014e2162ac2a61f4e36d.png]
Thank you both for your very fast replies.

Serpius, I've now checked all the settings both for individual users and for groups, but I can't see anything that would allow or prevent moderators posting in closed threads. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, I guess it can't be done within the Admin CP.

Sarisisop, thanks for the link. I've read that entire thread, and although I don't think it will directly solve my problem, it did help me understand the issue a bit better. I'll have a close look at the relevant templates to see if I can come up with something myself.

Thanks again.

Mike

I've been digging around a bit more, and have found something interesting, but I'm not sure where to go next.

In admin/forum_management.lang.php, there are a whole bunch of language variables that seem to be related to moderators' permissions, but which don't correspond to any settings in the Admin CP.

The language variable that seems particularly relevant to my problem is can_post_closed_threads. The actual text of the variable is "Can post in closed threads?" (this is the British English language pack, but I don't see that makes any difference). I've looked everywhere in the Admin CP, but can't see any setting that relates to this option.

There are several other variables to which this also applies, such as "Can use custom moderator tools?" and "Can move threads to another forum this user doesn't moderate?". I'm not particularly interested in using these options at the moment, but I am curious as to why they are in the language file, but I can't see them anywhere in the user interface.

If anyone can throw any light on this, it might help me to solve my original problem. In particular, is it possible to "expose" these options in some way, or even to directly edit them within the database?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
(2018-07-31, 02:12 PM)Mike QS Wrote: [ -> ]I've been digging around a bit more, and have found something interesting, but I'm not sure where to go next.

In admin/forum_management.lang.php, there are a whole bunch of language variables that seem to be related to moderators' permissions, but which don't correspond to any settings in the Admin CP.

The language variable that seems particularly relevant to my problem is can_post_closed_threads. The actual text of the variable is "Can post in closed threads?" (this is the British English language pack, but I don't see that makes any difference). I've looked everywhere in the Admin CP, but can't see any setting that relates to this option.

There are several other variables to which this also applies, such as "Can use custom moderator tools?" and "Can move threads to another forum this user doesn't moderate?". I'm not particularly interested in using these options at the moment, but I am curious as to why they are in the language file, but I can't see them anywhere in the user interface.

If anyone can throw any light on this, it might help me to solve my original problem. In particular, is it possible to "expose" these options in some way, or even to directly edit them within the database?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

If you go to Forums & Posts > Forum Management and click "Options" next to a forum and choose "Moderators" you can add a member or a group to moderate that forum.

Once you choose say a member to moderate that forum you will see the options you mention.

Smile
Sarisisop, thanks for your reply.

I did exactly what you said. I can now see all the options for the moderator, including "Can post in closed threads?". I cleared this checkbox and then clicked Save Moderator.

But nothing has changed. When I log in as a member of Moderators, I can still post in the closed thread. I also removed a few other option (e.g. "Can soft delete posts?") as a test. But these options are also still available to the moderator.

I tried the above for both the entire moderator group and for one individual moderator. I also tried it at the category level and the forum level. Same result in all cases.

When I go back to the Edit Moderator page, the checkboxes are still cleared, so they are obviously being saved. But they are not being acted on.

Do you know if there is any way I can - as it were - look behind the scenes, to see if the options have been correctly set? Presumably they are stored in the database, but I wouldn't know where to start looking.

Thanks for your on-going help.

Mike
I think you could be confusing "Moderators" with "Forum Moderators"

"Moderators" can do everything but "Forum Moderators" can only do what is checked in the boxs.

Don't use a Moderator as a Forum Moderator if you see what I mean. Let's say member Dave is in the group Newbie, you can add Dave or the group Newbie as moderators of a chosen forum.

If Dave is already in in the "Moderator" group then he will still be able to do everything.

Make a new group called Dave's Gang and make that group a moderator of a forum or as many as you like, choose the permissions you want that group to have. Put Dave in that group and he will only be able to do what you choose, but if you make him a "Normal Moderator he will be able to do everything.

I think that's the best way I could explain it.

Remember  "Moderators" see all and can do all.

"Forum Moderators" can only do what you choose.

Hope that helps.
(2018-08-01, 03:09 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]I think you could be confusing "Moderators" with "Forum Moderators"

"Moderators" can do everything but "Forum Moderators" can only do what is checked in the boxs.

Don't use a Moderator as a Forum Moderator if you see what I mean. Let's say member Dave is in the group Newbie, you can add Dave or the group Newbie as moderators of a chosen forum.

If Dave is already in in the "Moderator" group then he will still be able to do everything.

Make a new group called Dave's Gang and make that group a moderator of a forum or as many as you like, choose the permissions you want that group to have. Put Dave in that group and he will only be able to do what you choose, but if you make him a "Normal Moderator he will be able to do everything.

I think that's the best way I could explain it.

Remember  "Moderators" see all and can do all.

"Forum Moderators" can only do what you choose.

Hope that helps.

That is mostly true... let me explain...

On my website we have a forum called 'Staff'. Non-staff users cannot see the forum.

I set up that forum where the Moderators can view and post in that forum.

However, the Moderators do not have permission to delete, modify, sticky or close any threads in the 'Staff' forum. 
That means the Moderators cannot "do it all" in that forum. 
Only my Admin and I (in the Owner group) can do it all.
(2018-08-01, 03:09 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]I think you could be confusing "Moderators" with "Forum Moderators"

You are absolutely right. I was confusing them. I'm still not completely sure I understand the issue, but your explanation will help. I've got enough information now to work out how to proceed. Many thanks.

Thanks also to Serpius for the additional clarity.

Mike
(2018-08-01, 05:22 PM)Mike QS Wrote: [ -> ]

You are absolutely right. I was confusing them. I'm still not completely sure I understand the issue, but your explanation will help. I've got enough information now to work out how to proceed. Many thanks.

Thanks also to Serpius for the additional clarity.

Mike

You're welcome.

Have a play around with it. I tried not to make it too confusing. But like Serpius I also have another group "Forum Helpers" they have some rights but not as many as a moderator.
Pages: 1 2