MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: It's 2018 and there is no official MyBB mobile/responsive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can the team explain this? 

The user made responsive/mobile themes all have major issues.

How is there anything more important than having MyBB display "properly" in mobile. Well more than half of web page views are from mobile these days. 

At a total loss as to any plausible reason this isn't top priority. It's embarrassing.
I suggest you should probably read up on 1.9 and 1.10 before continuing to make threads about this.

I’ll summarise for you:

We all agree we should have a responsive theme but we are working on 1.9 which will bring a new default responsive theme and changing over to Twig. All templates have been converted to Twig and Justin is currently working on the responsive theme.
In simpler words, it will be ready in a few months. According to the lead developer, you might even get an alpha build in a month to play with.
MyBB 1.8 is considered as bug fix only now. It's just not getting much more new features, and changes .
MyBB 1.9 is comming "soon" (nobody knows when it would be ready, but it's comming slowly). In new MyBB there would be responsive theme, some really needed changes and new editor. Also if it is really big problem for you, just search in community mods - there are some themes, if I remember correctly some of them are responsive Big Grin
The majority of themes in the mods sections that claim to be responsive are not, they are at best hacks on table design. The one or 2 that truly are responsive have not been updated for a while, and will give problems as the original poster stated.
It's 2018 and users are still creating identical threads to those of which already exist. What is the point of this thread? To vent your frustration? There's nothing encouraging about this post that will want to make the team work harder. Have you checked up on the status of 1.9x? Or maybe just the responsive theme being made by Justin?

"Can you explain this (thread)?"
(2018-08-27, 05:36 AM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest you should probably read up on 1.9 and 1.10 before continuing to make threads about this.

I’ll summarise for you:

We all agree we should have a responsive theme but we are working on 1.9 which will bring a new default responsive theme and changing over to Twig. All templates have been converted to Twig and Justin is currently working on the responsive theme.
I know you guys are doing this on donated time and effort. MyBB is truly monumental. Well beyond the effort I've ever put out freely .

But working on 1.9 and 1.10 when there's not even a mobile theme for 1.8?. it's incredible to me. I can't comprehend it.

It shouldn't even be questionable. There's simply no other higher priority. Justin has been working on a mobile theme for a year now.

Of course I'm frustrated. It's 2018 and I'm working with these broken, screwed up, user made mobile themes. It's truly embarrassing for me and for MyBB.
(2018-08-27, 06:47 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-27, 05:36 AM)Ben Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest you should probably read up on 1.9 and 1.10 before continuing to make threads about this.

I’ll summarise for you:

I know you guys are doing this on donated time and effort. MyBB is truly monumental. Well beyond the effort I've ever put out freely .

But working on 1.9 and 1.10 when there's  not even a mobile theme for 1.8?. it's incredible to me. I can't comprehend it.

It shouldn't even be questionable. There's simply no other higher priority. Justin has been working on a mobile theme for a year now.

Of course I'm frustrated. It's 2018 and I'm working with these broken, screwed up, user made mobile themes. It's truly embarrassing for me and for MyBB.

1.9 is an upgrade for 1.8 that adds a responsive theme. That's its biggest feature. We've been making pretty good progress on 1.9 so far, and we expect a release really soon - an Alpha release is planned for September if all goes well. Justin also has a live 1.9 site running the 1.9 codebase that shows the new theme as it currently stands (though it isn't yet quite complete): https://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-1.9/index.php

It makes no sense for us to work on a brand new theme on the old theme system, then write a new theme system and rewrite the theme again though, hence the move to twig and the theme system update in 1.9 alongside the new theme.

There is no work on 1.10 - it will be the next major feature release after 1.10. The only reason 1.10 has ever been mentioned is to describe and explain our commitment to steadily advancing the 1.x line with new features and enhancements.
(2018-08-27, 07:09 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-27, 06:47 PM)DrXotick Wrote: [ -> ]

I’ll summarise for you:

But working on 1.9 and 1.10 when there's  not even a mobile theme for 1.8?. it's incredible to me. I can't comprehend it.

1.9 is an upgrade for 1.8 that adds a responsive theme. That's its biggest feature. We've been making pretty good progress on 1.9 so far, and we expect a release really soon - an Alpha release is planned for September if all goes well. Justin also has a live 1.9 site running the 1.9 codebase that shows the new theme as it currently stands (though it isn't yet quite complete): https://mybb.jsoltesz.com/mybb-1.9/index.php

It makes no sense for us to work on a brand new theme on the old theme system, then write a new theme system and rewrite the theme again though, hence the move to twig and the theme system update in 1.9 alongside the new theme.

There is no work on 1.10 - it will be the next major feature release after 1.10. The only reason 1.10 has ever been mentioned is to describe and explain our commitment to steadily advancing the 1.x line with new features and enhancements.

It is great to know that in September we will have alpha Wink
(2018-08-27, 12:59 PM)Ashley1 Wrote: [ -> ]The majority of themes in the mods sections that claim to be responsive are not, they are at best hacks on table design. The one or 2 that truly are responsive have not been updated for a while, and will give problems as the original poster stated.

The biggest reason most of themes are using table hacks is compatibility with plugins. Once you create tableless design, you see all plugins breaking on themes because of compatibility and support becomes a nightmare.
If the default design is tableless, then supporting plugins will be quite easy.
Hopefully we will see 1.9 alpha by September.
I have written my theme since mybb 1.8.14 arrives the same day i have uploaded due i have it finished for 1.8.13 a day before next major release.

And yes it is very hard to mantain all plugins, mods and more due it is responsive and tableless but many plugins breaks and it is a tootache to deal with all that stuff.

We have to wait for an official mybb responsive design Smile

But you can give a try to DNT Advantage it is free and acomplish all that many months ago Smile
Pages: 1 2