MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Are forums dying or almost dead?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Forums are still viable and valuable.
The reason it's so hard to develop a new and useful forum from scratch is that almost every topic is covered.
Pick a topic or special interest and you'll probably find several forums already exist for that one subject.
And an established forum with an existing user base is going to trump a new unused trying-to-start-up forum.
(2014-07-28, 12:44 AM)CloudyBright Wrote: [ -> ]Forums are still viable and valuable.
The reason it's so hard to develop a new and useful forum from scratch is that almost every topic is covered.
Pick a topic or special interest and you'll probably find several forums already exist for that one subject.
And an established forum with an existing user base is going to trump a new unused trying-to-start-up forum.
Some people don't really try too hard to find a niche when they start a new forum.
For instance, many people start webmaster forums or general forums. Things which have been done by tons of forums.
I see this happen all the time and they almost never give me a reason to use their forum over every other forum which does the exact same thing.
Nope. People used to be terrified about this once social media started to gain popularity. OBVIOUSLY, forums are still a very popular thing! Smile
(2014-07-28, 01:13 AM)Spyda Wrote: [ -> ]Nope. People used to be terrified about this once social media started to gain popularity. OBVIOUSLY, forums are still a very popular thing! Smile
To be honest, most of the information which I see on social networks tends to be garbage, while forums actually give me tons of useful information and engaging discussions.
Axareal, disabling JavaScript is a total edge case. Fullstop. Normal users do not do this. Most normal users will leave a site if it breaks, so that's Discourse's problem.

Facebook is smashing profit expectations. They're not currently facing any trouble monetizing their userbase, and their market valuation is $200 billion. It's simply silly to be discussing Facebook's demise at this point.

I agree that forums tend to have higher-quality information. Simply put, the use-case for forums and for social networks is completely different. The only thing they have in common is communication with other people.
(2014-07-28, 01:34 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Axareal, disabling JavaScript is a total edge case. Fullstop. Normal users do not do this. Most normal users will leave a site if it breaks, so that's Discourse's problem.

Facebook is smashing profit expectations. They're not currently facing any trouble monetizing their userbase, and their market valuation is $200 billion. It's simply silly to be discussing Facebook's demise at this point.

I agree that forums tend to have higher-quality information. Simply put, the use-case for forums and for social networks is completely different. The only thing they have in common is communication with other people.
Fair enough. Either way, it doesn't sound great for Discourse. Maybe, they'll try something new in their own 2.0 or whatever their next version is.

Facebook had a net income of about $1.5 billion in 2013. They spent about $19 billion (over ten years of income, at their current rate) on WhatsApp, which is an insane amount to spend on a competitor (which was worth about $1.5 billion, investors estimate) especially, when they could build a similar system for a fraction of the price.

As for market valuation, I wouldn't really trust what investors think it's worth. Investors are currently leaping onto everything social and apps.
In my opinion, it's probably a bubble, but who knows.. I could be wrong.
Either way, we'll see in five - ten years or whenever something happens.

I still don't think they'll improve their groups system though. They seem more interested in communication, particularly mobile.
Quote:when they could build a similar system for a fraction of the price.

WhatsApp already has the penetration. I won't pretend to understand exactly why Facebook thought WhatsApp was worth so much, but it's likely that Facebook did their math on the acquisition. (Of course, Microsoft burned a huge amount on Nokia, so there is such a thing as bad acquisitions by smart companies.)

Either way, I think this is a bit off-topic ... whether or not WhatsApp was a bad acquisition, Facebook isn't going to go away any time soon.
I tend to avoid bashing Discourse's theme directly, as themes tend to be a matter of personal taste although, I also don't like it very much. It feels like they're trying too hard to be different.

Another point which people commonly use against social networks is privacy. Honestly, thinking that your information is private on the internet is silly to begin with especially, in a public place and I really doubt that the FB Staff or the NSA really care about your specific activity.

Honestly, if people didn't care about the privacy scandals enough to leave before then, I don't see how they will leave now or in the future over it.
As for forums, it's not too different. Any forum owner can just look in the database to view people's PMs, while Discourse has just dropped any illusions of privacy by making it a core feature for admins (Discourse admins are superadmins, as they have no concept of admin permissions).

Personally, I don't really care about what users discuss over PMs, as long as they aren't breaking the rules (spamming, breaking the law, insulting people, etc.) and so, I don't really make an active effort of actively moderating what they're doing on there.

One thing which social networks tend to have against them is poor moderation. Forums for the most part, tend to be very well moderated, with some exceptions, while social networks more or less let users do just about anything they want.
Sure, there's moderators (unless, it's Google) however, I doubt that they'll do anything unless, it's really serious.
I don't think so at the moment I don't use facebook for the same things I do on a forum
Social groups on Facebook etc... In my experience have always been dead. Seriously. Even groups with millions of members. Nothing going on. This thread has more life than the busiest of social networking group pages.

Not to say the future may not change... But as of now, they are beyond lame.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7