MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Things needed to run Mybb in VPS or Dedicated Server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is probably a out of league question for me. But I am asking for one of my friend here.

In order to run Mybb from a VPS or dedicated server, what things are needed? I know that php, apache, mysql are needed but anything else?
In general you want these things;
  • a webserver such as nginx or Apache
  • PHP, or preferably PHP-FPM
  • any required PHP extensions
  • a database server such as PostgreSQL or MySQL/MariaDB
  • optionally a cache server too such as memcached
See this page of our documentation for more information: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/
Alternatively, you can hire someone like Kawaii if you don't want to do it yourself. There are a lot of things that can go wrong while managing a VPS. Managing MyBB is comparatively easy.
(2019-02-20, 01:04 AM)meetdilip Wrote: [ -> ]Alternatively, you can hire someone like Kawaii if you don't want to do it yourself. There are a lot of things that can go wrong while managing a VPS. Managing MyBB is comparatively easy.

I am not trying to do anything. I am asking for a friend.

And I am learning Linux myself so I am guessing when my time will come to upgrade I shall be ready.

(2019-02-19, 06:39 PM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]In general you want these things;
  • a webserver such as nginx or Apache
  • PHP, or preferably PHP-FPM
  • any required PHP extensions
  • a database server such as PostgreSQL or MySQL/MariaDB
  • optionally a cache server too such as memcached
See this page of our documentation for more information: https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/

I just didn't understand the cache server portion. What's it utility apart from speeding up I guess? Its necessary?
You don’t need a cache server. Caching isn’t 100% necessary unless your board is massive.
(2019-02-20, 03:48 AM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]I just didn't understand the cache server portion. What's it utility apart from speeding up I guess? Its necessary?

Cache server is optional as I said - it's a lot better to use something like memcached for your forum's cache instead of putting that unnecessary load on the database (the default cache storage location in MyBB). Nice to have but certainly not required.

You might also want to consider how you send emails from a VPS too. Unless you want the task of maintaining a mail server too (and all the caveats that come with that such as blacklists and IP reputation) you'll need to consider offloading your email to external SMTP services.
(2019-02-20, 09:17 AM)kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-20, 03:48 AM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]I just didn't understand the cache server portion. What's it utility apart from speeding up I guess? Its necessary?

Cache server is optional as I said - it's a lot better to use something like memcached for your forum's cache instead of putting that unnecessary load on the database (the default cache storage location in MyBB). Nice to have but certainly not required.

You might also want to consider how you send emails from a VPS too. Unless you want the task of maintaining a mail server too (and all the caveats that come with that such as blacklists and IP reputation) you'll need to consider offloading your email to external SMTP services.

Thanks for the advice. I will tell to look into that too.

Since, I am learning Linux, so can I PM you some time to ask some queries myself? Will that be okay?
(2019-02-20, 09:28 AM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the advice. I will tell to look into that too.

Since, I am learning Linux, so can I PM you some time to ask some queries myself? Will that be okay?

Sure, I don't mind that.
(2019-02-20, 09:28 AM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]

Speaking of external email services that allow you to keep your website name in the email address, such as mine, [email protected], consider using Zoho.com external email service.
It's cheap and reliable. 

Along with that, I highly recommend using an external nameserver service as well. 
This prevents your nameservers being "controlled" by a hosting service, which may charge expensive fees.
I recommend NameSilo.com for this.

By moving those 2 services to external sources gives you the freedom to switch hosting or VPS providers without having to switch those 2 services all over again and again.
(2019-02-20, 10:21 AM)Serpius Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-02-20, 09:28 AM)vk_knight Wrote: [ -> ]

Speaking of external email services that allow you to keep your website name in the email address, such as mine, [email protected], consider using Zoho.com external email service.
It's cheap and reliable. 

Along with that, I highly recommend using an external nameserver service as well. 
This prevents your nameservers being "controlled" by a hosting service, which may charge expensive fees.
I recommend NameSilo.com for this.

By moving those 2 services to external sources gives you the freedom to switch hosting or VPS providers without having to switch those 2 services all over again and again.

Helpful as always. Thanks Serpius.

As I know that you are using VPS, so are you doing all the work yourself or you have a managed host?
Pages: 1 2