MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How is Google doing this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a little freaked, I think Big Brother is on to me.

My forum/site opened yesterday and I submitted it to Google, now Google has been showing in my online list all day and everytime somebody posts a new message, you can bet Google's reading it.

For example I posted a message at 10:30 and when I checked online it said GoogleBot, 10:30, Reading my post! I thought maybe it was a fluke but I tried again with a new topic and the bot was instantly there!

I'm thinking it might be because I turned RSS on? If Google is tracking the feed, but imagine how many times it would be doing that per hour - it would be insane on my server, how is Google doing this?
That's how Google indexes your site. It visits all the links it can and records the content for its search engine.

You submitted your site to Google so I cannot believe you are shocked this would happen...

Google visits my website at least once every day.
I'm suprised that its found the new threads right after I post them, I mean seconds ... this is what suprises me.

I knew from other experiences it visits every so often, but its finding threads incredibly fast - its shocking. I post them, check online list and Google is already reading it.
Google indexes forum posts?

No. Wai.
SimpleRules Wrote:I'm suprised that its found the new threads right after I post them, I mean seconds ... this is what suprises me.

I knew from other experiences it visits every so often, but its finding threads incredibly fast - its shocking. I post them, check online list and Google is already reading it.
If Google is already indexing your site at the time, then the new threads will appear in a lot of sections of the forum (index, forumdisplay, portal etc) so there are more chances of Google finding it.
I believe that Google promotes new sites to the first page of the search results. It is the opposite of the "sandbox effect" -- where results from your site appear on page 20+ for a given search keyterm. Google goes this in order to give your community an inital push because a new site cannot compete head-to-head with an established site. However, after a few months, you'll notice that your results in the SERPS will drop to a more appropriate level. While you're on the "Google Holiday" take advantage of it -- create posts that are rich in keyterms in order to attract organic search engine traffic from Google.
Nite Wrote:I believe that Google promotes new sites to the first page of the search results. It is the opposite of the "sandbox effect" -- where results from your site appear on page 20+ for a given search keyterm. Google goes this in order to give your community an inital push because a new site cannot compete head-to-head with an established site. However, after a few months, you'll notice that your results in the SERPS will drop to a more appropriate level. While you're on the "Google Holiday" take advantage of it -- create posts that are rich in keyterms in order to attract organic search engine traffic from Google.
That is not correct at all.

Google's indexing process is completely separate from its ranking process. Google has thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of bots visiting many sites each second. It's perfectly normal for any site to have Google index it every day.

Google's aim is to give the best results for your search. Putting new sites up the top is not going to make results better, and Google expects the webmaster to make his site climb the search by getting links from other websites.
The point isn't Google finding my site or finding pages, its how it find new threads and new posts instantly.

Even if Google wasn't on my forum before, the minute I post a new thread, Google shows up in the online list and its reading the thread.
So you submit your site to Google and now you are complaining because it's actually doing a good job of crawling your site? I don't get it. You can block google with a robots.txt if you want.
I really wouldn't worry about it, at least your site is being indexed.
Pages: 1 2