MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Curious thought...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Simply a curious thought if anyone has ever contemplated converting the mybb core pkg to say a discography repository.

ie:

categories become genres * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

sub categories become sub genres * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

forums become labels  * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

sub forums become sub labels * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

threads become album listings * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

thread rating becomes album rating * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

posts become relating album reviews and or discussions * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

announcements become say something of the sort like say: hot off the press, the fresh wax, album shout out (pre-release/release), etc, etc  * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

calendar can still be used for event listings

reputation becomes fist bumps (lol) * these are just example names for the purpose of discussion

* while we could go on and list every little section and the conversion name but again this would take up a lot of space and we really are not also trying to complicate a simple discussion and question further

** also for this question we won't list or discuss say any of the possible user group conversions as I merely am asking a simple question and starting a simple discussion.

etc, etc..., just curious if anyone has thought about, done it..., or whatever else related to such a thought.., asking simply as I am curious about the thought and the humour of it. Wink  

( while it should not need to be said, let us simply remember the mindset of keeping in mind to keep the topic and relating convo clean )

( also note: before anyone starts off about it, a simple reminder while the license allows you to fork the software and it is rather simple to do as history has shown, we should also not try to add that topic any further to this conversation. So for this conversation we will look at this thread topic as say a discussion of simply anyone whom has had a thought about a personal conversion of the sort, has done a personal conversion of the sort, etc, etc. )

*** you will notice throughout conversation in this thread I will say for the purpose of discussion and that is because this is simply a discussion, not an active planning for a project. * see the point is to get the creatives juices in the mind flowing and thinking on things like this because this relates to any sort of say project you would like to do that may require you to highly edit and or fork mybb in that project. * see in the old days of mybb, a lot of people gave young projects flack for forking even though the license did allow it and I think such flack cause some projects to lose interest or others to not start off due to the community flack that often seems common. The entire point of allowing for forks is so that people can say find inspiration and learn and grow with a product and if in the process of their adventure with such they decide they have a project that is outside the spectrum of the existing product they can then do so in a variant/fork as the license allows and it really still is all about the sharing and gathering of knowledge. Forks do not take away from the core product if anything they pay homage to it and are often credited immensely as well as those individuals often contribute to the existing product prior to and while working on else.  This is something I love about the idea is that any user can do such and it is as simple as hey, do you have some core enhancement you want to see in the core but say it will not be added in the main core, well chances are you can start forking it and well if other users find interest they join and well it happens..., and should happen without core community flack as that is the kind of creative mindset the oss community is about. So whether it is a massive re-write like this initial thread is discussing for sake of example or even just a something small like a few nice core enhancements and say a new responsive front-end and back-end or whatever say the project idea that requires a fork entails..., if you can give back to the existing community at the same time that is even better, if the project cannot that is still ok and this is something to remember: if the mind is active the possibilities are limitless. I think what the aim of this discussion overall is talking about a project thought and all it would entail simply as a creative base to maybe inspire folks in the community to imagine their potential and if you dream it up you may be able to build it, and if not all is within your capabilities that is not a reason to not follow your inspirations, that is what oss communities are for, finding like minded users that may possess the contributions that you do not. And if one day you look back at this discussion and find for whatever reason that it caused you to follow your ideas, then please pay it forward and light the fire and desire to inspire! Wink
Hey,
My forum (still in theme development) is such a kind of repository similar to your thought:

The board is separated in two main forums with two different languages, so international:
1. Home country (native language)
2. International (english)
(Buttons will lead you to either 1. or 2. and auto switch the language)

Subforums:
- Country/County
- - City/region
- - > Each thread represents an event to discuss, where thread rating is used to rate the event.

But I do not abuse announcements for e.g. new events/threads or something like this. And the reputation system still keeps at the function for rate users.

[ExiTuS]
(2019-09-05, 09:10 AM)[ExiTuS] Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,
My forum (still in theme development) is such a kind of repository similar to your thought:

The board is separated in two main forums with two different languages, so international:
1. Home country (native language)
2. International (english)
(Buttons will lead you to either 1. or 2. and auto switch the language)

Subforums:
- Country/County
- - City/region
- - > Each thread represents an event to discuss, where thread rating is used to rate the event.

But I do not abuse announcements for e.g. new events/threads or something like this. And the reputation system still keeps at the function for rate users.

[ExiTuS]

Nice, sounds like a decent setup, though what I was discussing in the initial thread is thinking simply for this discussion more on the overall idea of complete core edit not just a front-end theme edit as well, umm the mybb core install pkg can be re-themed & re-styled front-end and back-end simply in a few minutes if you know what you are doing ( hmm, oh yeah, I forgot that I never wrote a tutorial for that as it was not something folks asked for, but ah I am getting off subject ) .  Anyhoo, for this type of discussion and along the lines of the initial thread subject most likely the existing theme would not be what such a project would need in the end product so for this discussion I was not even starting to mention the theme side as the concept is about a core edit and of course one would most likely then add a custom theme to the project one would suppose. I will explain where the thought came from, I remember many years ago one of the community contributors and if memory serves former staff member mentioned something in a post about a core re-edit for a record project and the thought just came back to my mind just the other day all these years later and it got me thinking about it, hence, topic content of said thoughts was placed here as a general discussion along those lines. ie: turn a bbs core into a discography content management system.

* yeah oh, also I do hear you on the announcement part..., and it sounds like that makes sense in your setup but the reason why I mentioned that as I did in the original thread was simply because the thought was if it isn't really a forum anymore..., it might be nice to say use them as like a shout-out system, if that makes sense, like a hot off the press release notice system or what not. Like I said this convo is simply me tossing around thoughts and seeing other folks ideas when they think on the same subject matter, all this is simply intended as a sort of think-tank discussion, nothing set in stone

** thinking more on your event setup, I like that and yeah in something like this discussion that would be cool to say do something like that with say like event related by artist or something like that to think further on, hmm, see this is exactly why I started this discussion, thank you
Honestly I think this would be pretty simple to achieve with a primarily language changes, should be totally doable with very few edits.
(2019-09-05, 12:26 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly I think this would be pretty simple to achieve with a primarily language changes, should be totally doable with very few edits.

you think? interesting, I will have to ponder your conclusion as would it not be so nice to think what has been described would be as simple as you suggest, but, as suggested in the initial thread, this means even modifying the existing core  because there would no longer be things like post, thread, etc, etc, primarily.., your conclusion might not necessarily be accurate, as not so sure if done the way the discussion topic direction was thinking on that it would be as simple as only changing lang files, even every template would need to be editing to reflect the name changes as things like just for a simple example $post, $thread, etc, etc, would no longer be such if you read fully what the original thread states..., so when we read fully what the original thread states, we now understand that there are a massive amount more changes than just that for a personal project that has this sort of overall aim. But hey, I agree with you that it would be cool if your simple conclusion was so simple and a reality.
You could certainly go through the trouble of renaming every variable in the core to reflect this, but frankly it might be much simpler to only rename the front end facing (and admin) naming conventions through Lang files. That way you could maintain compatibility with any MyBB plug-ins as well (renaming variables might cause problems)
(2019-09-05, 12:51 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]You could certainly go through the trouble of renaming every variable in the core to reflect this, but frankly it might be much simpler to only rename the front end facing (and admin) naming conventions through Lang files. That way you could maintain compatibility  with any MyBB plug-ins as well (renaming variables might cause problems)

I am aware, of the tediousness, been there done that, not my frst rodeo in the least, but I do hear your points, and while that might also work, for the way this is described in the original thread, that is not the thought process, this is completely changing alot of things under the hood, so I highly doubt doing it half arsed would be optimal, though thanks for your input, I do appreciate the thoughts to toss around, all positive constructive sharing of on topic is exactly what the original thread suggest, so cool beans on that. Wink

Also this would not use mybb plugins as it would no longer be a bbs, nor mybb, while yes, while a fork also would have similar renames, the diff on those particular forks also would exist in some capacity, so on this unfortunately you are also incorrect, as even renaming under the hood , simply requires to take mybb plugins and rename under the hood of plugin also to reflect changes and the compatibility is restored..., granted the plugin license allows you to edit and port it, fairly sure we proved that with litebb and daddyobb, just saying, Wink but as this fact is off subject and not really relative to the subject matter at hand and  we should refrain from going off topic further and also since I already stated this personal project discussion is not about keep a bbs core as a bbs core, it is about the thoughts on say modifying a bbs core and making it a discography cms, thus existing mybb plugins for the most part might not be so relative. That is not to say that at least a few plugins would still be transitioning like say just for one example, pagd manager, perhaps even include somd variant into the cote, dunno see I think whaatever project this and the creators of it would have to determine since say for this discussion we keep talking about a say bbs to discography cms conversion, well then say the creators of said project would have to determine what existing mybb plugins are still viable and if the plugin license allow as oss then convert said plugs to the fork.

Also since this would not be say mybb or a bbs anymore the other thing that would be missing would be all references to "mybb"  as to not confuse one for the other, and that simply requires like 5 minutes in something like for example back in the day in dreamweaver to find and replace all specific refs in the entire dist repo pkg in a flash, I mean yes you still need to know the several variants to find in the entire repo but the process is super fast to do it regardless, then another like 2 minutes via finder to also find and replace in filename..., again super easy, in fact I think I did like six mybb version like that once just for giggles in like under 30 minutes just to see the functionality of it in action and I am only mentioning this example as just explaining yet some important factors that someone thinking of a project like this would think about before even starting such a project as such basics are the very first transitional steps when forking for personal or public regardless before any other modifications are factored or began. Again, not my first rodeo.
(2019-09-05, 04:41 AM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Simply a curious thought if anyone has ever contemplated converting the mybb core pkg to say a discography repository.

ie:

* while we could go on and list every little section and the conversion name but again this would take up a lot of space and we really are not also trying to complicate a simple discussion and question further

** also for this question we won't list or discuss say any of the possible user group conversions as I merely am asking a simple question and starting a simple discussion.

etc, etc..., just curious if anyone has thought about, done it..., or whatever else related to such a thought.., asking simply as I am curious about the thought and the humour of it. Wink  

Seems interesting.

What you've thought of might be a mix of a dedicate CMS + MyBB user management, from the front-end view. A CMS, such as Drupal and WordPress, will do better work with terminology than MyBB whose job is forums and discussions. Changes only with language entries are not enough, but touching many files in MyBB seems... so much work to do.

And I suppose you should also need structured data fields for storing discography (or other types, photo gallery?) meta information. Search will be massively different, too. So it's not simply a renaming variable thing.
(2019-09-05, 04:00 PM)noyle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-05, 04:41 AM)vintagedaddyo Wrote: [ -> ]Simply a curious thought if anyone has ever contemplated converting the mybb core pkg to say a discography repository.

ie:

Seems interesting.

What you've thought of might be a mix of a dedicate CMS + MyBB user management, from the front-end view. A CMS, such as Drupal and WordPress, will do better work with terminology than MyBB whose job is forums and discussions. Changes only with language entries are not enough, but touching many files in MyBB seems... so much work to do.

And I suppose you should also need structured data fields for storing discography (or other types, photo gallery?) meta information. Search will be massively different, too. So it's not simply a renaming variable thing.

Oh, I am very aware it is more than renaming things, as I stated this is not my first rodeo, nor first project nor even first or second fork, and yes you are correct that it would be alot of modifications, the reason only the basic ideas were listed in initial thread is to not complicate it too much for the discussion purpose as many would get lost if we started actually talking technical about all the various changes that would need to be made as many may have no understanding one of what that would entail, or are already getting lost on why the simple basics are mentioned. While yes you could say use the core as base and a secondary cms core as one way of doing such as you suggested, in theory that seems a little more prone to problems than just doing it with the core as base and modifying one single product for the needs. While yes one could also say fork, wordpress or mambo/joomla/elxis, etc, etc, been thete done that also, it is not really what the aim of this discussion is thinking on and as I have explained in some replies I have discussed already basic things that need to happen with forking before you modify the initial product further for custom project needs, those initial basic steps are not specific to this software and would also be required when forking and adding additional softwares to such. Also forking two rather than one when one can do the job is to me appearing to be the actual more work factor rather than sticking to the initial thought process of discussion with the one. But that is not to discount your valid points as they are also good considerations to factor and again such sharing of ideas is exactly what this discussion was started for. Cool beans and thank you for the thoughts. Oh, also just in case you don't know why I mention 3 cms together ie: mambo/joomla/elxis as an example is because they also are forks mambo -> joomla elxis Wink

Snipped unrelated posts.

@Serpius, lets keep this on topic. VintageDaddyo's reasons are his own, and bear no relevance on this thread.
Pages: 1 2