MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMF2 avatar merge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all! I'm trying to convert my SMF 2.0.15 forum to Mybb,
everything seems to be converted fine, except avatars...
What is interesting, it adds correct avatar dimensions and avatar file name
to mybb_users table, but it didn't add the avatar file by itself to /uploads/avatars dir.
So after the merge, all users avatars contains broken link.
If I check avatar file name in mybb_user database and then
copy it manually from SMF avatar dir - it shows avatar OK,
otherwise user profiles contain avatar link to non existing file.

It shows an error in merge log --
Quote:Error could not find the avatar (ID: XXX)

Any help?
as error log says, Merge system could not find SMF avatars during the conversion.

how about SMF forum attachments ? are they imported to MyBB ?

however, I am not sure that SMF avatars import perfectly to MyBB .. Sad
How they should be imported?
I've just added path to my SMF avatars dir on avatars merge page (/var/www/html/attachments/).
I tried to import it several times with changing directories, SMF avatar options... But had no luck.
sorry, I haven't converted from SMF in recent times
when I tried last time, attachments & avatars import has not worked ..

tried looking through a number of related threads in this community
so far could not find a possible solution for it ..

can you confirm that posts attachments import worked fine ..
Attachments imported fine for me (Thank Heaven!).
But avatars not. It imported avatars dimensions and file names (which now are different than in SMF)
to mybb_users database table, but not files by itself. Probably I'll try to see new file name and copy
each avatar manually from SMF... It'll be pretty annoying but sometimes I have some free time Smile

IMO it would be better if it didn't change file names, because then I'll be able to just copy SMF avatars dir to Mybb...

BTW, also some quotes are broken after merge (all quotes which are quote in quote)... Also it didn't imported correct quote link...
SMF merge scripts are not fully working for now... But anyway, I'll try to use MyBB with fixing all those things manually.

BTW, I heavilly dislike that fact, that now I need to edit my forum code via browser window... With all those ugly 403 mod_security errors, etc.
And not via fast, usable and stable vim editor in terminal... It's really a some kind of nightmare.
IMO it is not the best idea at all, to have your theme files jailed in browser and in mysql database, because I can say for sure
that if it used regular php files on server side, then I spend at least three times less time (but I think even x10 less time!) to create my theme...
Mybb should also be able to import such files to database, so no features will be missed with such solution.

This "browser window" solution limits developer options VERY MUCH, because it is impossible to use regular "if ($something['very']['good']) " php expressions
and user should play with A LOT OF FUNNY templates in his browser window for every f**cken button!
Such solution is only good for people which sell Mybb themes, because only some crazy guys like me will dare to create
their themes with all those 1k of templates... others will just pay some money. But despite this, some Mybb features are great.
I fixed broken quotes with MyCodes, very useful functionality.

But this 1k+ of funny browser window templates — is really some kind of nightmare.

IMO it was created by some Windows®© fanboys, which never saw or tried to use any good file editor,
only their favorite and ugly notepad.exe, which they tried to port into their ugly browsers (probably IE), while using Windows®© Vista
(most advanced used Windows ®© 10)… Big Grin

While this is present in Mybb, I'll never add MyBB copyright to my forum, because making money for MyBB
theme makers and advertising of this ugly template feature — is not my target at all.
The entire theme system is being overhauled in the upcoming MyBB 1.9 release. Templates will be moved to the file-system and will use the Twig template engine - making rapid development of themes in your favorite editor very much possible. I too very much lament the browser-editor experience but there are a few plugins that help make it better - try FASTyle, by Shade:

https://www.mybboost.com/thread-release-fastyle-2-2
(2020-03-12, 04:19 PM)..kawaii Wrote: [ -> ]The entire theme system is being overhauled in the upcoming MyBB 1.9 release. Templates will be moved to the file-system and will use the Twig template engine - making rapid development of themes in your favorite editor very much possible. I too very much lament the browser-editor experience but there are a few plugins that help make it better - try FASTyle, by Shade:

https://www.mybboost.com/thread-release-fastyle-2-2
Thanks! After installing this plugin, my nervous system feels much better...
Of course, it's still not my favorite fast and stable console vim editor
[Image: pRmRpog.png?1]
Which is always available for me via my drop-down terminal with F1 hotkey... But it's still much better,
than ugly default, slow notepad.exe, without any useful functionality.

But nevertheless, IMO some of MyBB features really shows its "Windows developers" roots.
For example, neither of MyBB editors support *NIX X11 PRIMARY selection (including template editor,
WYSIWYG editor and even FASTyle plugin doesn't support it too, so it's some kind of problem in core
MyBB code, it seems). Primary selection is very handy thing in free desktop environment,
It allows you to paste every selected with mouse text into any text input form of your desktop,
including web browser, console, etc. You just select text and there is no need to press ctrl+c to copy it,
then you just paste it with middle mouse click, it's secondary selection.
And it's also very strange, because primary selection used to work for me with all forums/sites except MyBB.
Regular selection copy nothing in MyBB (it doesn't add text to PRIMARY selection, as it should),
and middle mouse click just pastes from regular clipboard...
^ you can also try using Template Editor plugin
I may consider adding this to FASTyle. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2