MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Status Updates [In Dev]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2020-03-12, 02:26 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Oh for sure! The issue is that if you view this alert, and someone new likes it, it will send a new one saying "Gamerboy and 5 others have liked your status." So every time someone new likes your status, you would get a new alert with the updated list.

You could try by deleting unread alerts referring to that status.

Definitely the PM system has some limitations for what you want. Obviously a option to choose Myalerts over default alers is a must.

Another option would be to build your own alert system instead of use the PM system, but I won't reinvent the wheel myself.
(2020-03-11, 07:30 AM)Whiteneo Wrote: [ -> ]And @Omar G i have the Profile System already finished and working into my site but i am working into the next major version so if you want to get it let me know to sent you the files for you can give it an eye Smile

(2020-03-11, 05:30 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]@Omar: Thank you, much appreciated! And regarding the guest redirect, that will be fixed before release (among a few other things). And contributions are absolutely 100% welcome! I had a few people contribute to BAM, and it was very helpful during the process. Smile

Sure I could get a chance to contribute once you make it public (Github, etc.) Otherwise, I'd rather not compromise to something I might not deliver.
I'll have the code up on github in the next couple of weeks. I'm working around the clock, so it will be coming very soon. Smile

Regarding alerts, I have a feeling that is more or less going to be my approach @Omar G. I thought about using jgrowl to do built in alerts. Depending on how beta testing goes, I haven't quite ruled that out yet. I think it would be neat, even if it was just available as a built-in alternative to be enabled by a setting. It'd be a little tricky to do the ajax for these and have them auto-refresh, however.

No matter how hard I work on built in alerts, MyAlerts will do it better. I do want to make sure that the built in alerts are, at the very least, sufficient. They've been working great for everything outside of the like functionality, so we will see how the added notifications stack up. We're going to have to test it and see, I suppose.

Anyway, thank you for the feedback. I'll implement it and see how it goes, and I will have a beta on github as soon as the ajax stuff is finished! Smile
this looks really neat
is it possible to make it so people can comment on your thread also?
(2020-03-12, 04:07 PM)8guawong Wrote: [ -> ]this looks really neat

Thank you for the feedback! Smile

When you say comment on your thread, do you mean commenting on the comments? 

As of now, any status can be replied to. I don't really plan on adding nested replies because this makes the look and feel overall very tight on the portal page (where I'm already using alternative templates and CSS to make it look better), among other places where there isn't a ton of space. You'll see what I mean when more screenshots get released in the coming weeks. 

That being said, the good news is that it's actually designed in such a way to allow this to be added in the future, but that is probably beyond the scope of this first release.
@Darth Apple i use both systems pms native of mybb and MyAlerts if available of course into my Thankyou MyBB System plugin since the first released version, it was working into 1.6.x with the alerts version too and was very different to fetch it.

You can use the code, due i have imomemented for Thankyou Like System and many others because it's not difficult to do due Euan T leaves the guide and the code is intuitive Smile

But anyways if you need help with anything i can give you a hand on anything you need Wink

All my current systems works perfectly with ajax and are highly optimized in many repos i have so maybe i can contribute with the code if you wish Smile
Awesome, I'll definitely take a look @White Neo.

The plugin development is going very well. There is a long list of small things that need to be done before release (and alerts need to be rebuilt). Right now, I'm doing a lot of work on the templates and finishing the ajax-related work. Once this is complete, I'll push the development code on Github! Smile

A few more things that I need some feedback on:
  • If the number of statuses liked and status post count were in the postbit, would you use this feature or disable it? (Edit: This won't be done before the development code gets pushed, but I will likely add this before the final release. Your feedback will determine whether this is enabled or disabled by default).
  • If a special page for status updates from buddies only were to be implemented, would you expect users on your forum to use this feature? (This would likely be more useful for larger forums. Smaller communities might not benefit from this as much).
  • Small detail, but this is important nonetheless. On the profile, would you rather these display on the right column or the left column?
(2020-03-13, 01:04 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]
  • If the number of statuses liked and status post count were in the postbit, would you use this feature or disable it?

Tho people tend to like this information to be available in posts I personally won't use it. It adds no overall value whatsoever. Since these are "statuses" and not "comments" probably adding the last status similar to how Pirata Nervo plugin works (or worked).

(2020-03-13, 01:04 AM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]
  • If a special page for status updates from buddies only were to be implemented, would you expect users on your forum to use this feature?

Like a facebook wall? Probably, especially if available within the profile itself.
I'm fairly excited about the postbit feature. It already does this as a matter of fact (along with having a link to the popup modal, shown in the screenshot). Before release, I'd ideally like to have a setting in the user CP to enable or disable this as well. Not sure if that will be ready in time for beta or not.

And I agree @Omar. I don't think it would be particularly useful, tbh. Outlandish requests happen, so I wanted to get a feel for what people wanted before I pushed any code. We know how it is... Toungue

In any case, I just finished getting everything to a 100% ajax system for everything that has to do with statuses. A few things won't become ajax (pagination on the alerts page, for example). But outside of that, it's working fairly well. That was the single biggest hurdle to jump past, so it looks like dev code is running about a week ahead of schedule and should be pushed to github sometime next week! Smile

------

Edit: Regarding the profile wall with buddy-only display settings? I was thinking something along the lines of having the "community status history" page do it. There'd be a setting, checkbox, or something of the sort to switch between all statuses, and buddy-only statuses. However, I'm open to other ideas with it as well. If we put it in the profile, would it be a "only buddies can write me statuses" setting? If so, that's definitely doable (and probably a good feature nonetheless).
(2020-03-12, 04:11 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-12, 04:07 PM)8guawong Wrote: [ -> ]this looks really neat

Thank you for the feedback! Smile

When you say comment on your thread, do you mean commenting on the comments? 

As of now, any status can be replied to. I don't really plan on adding nested replies because this makes the look and feel overall very tight on the portal page (where I'm already using alternative templates and CSS to make it look better), among other places where there isn't a ton of space. You'll see what I mean when more screenshots get released in the coming weeks. 

That being said, the good news is that it's actually designed in such a way to allow this to be added in the future, but that is probably beyond the scope of this first release.

hi Darth Apple please look at the picture that i have mocked up to get an idea of what i meant
so if people want to do a short reply they just use comment and use the reply if they want to write more
Pages: 1 2 3