MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Default theme not showing for guests.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I installed a theme on my forum (alpha gaming 1.8), but when i view it as a guest it only shows the default myBB theme.
I already went to Allowed User Groups in the theme settings, but there is no option for guests, only the rest.

what can i do to fix this?
What happens when you click "Force theme on users" in the theme selector list?

Odd guest behavior can sometimes be a cookie issue. Do you have more than one board on the same server?
(2020-04-23, 11:21 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]What happens when you click "Force theme on users" in the theme selector list?

Odd guest behavior can sometimes be a cookie issue. Do you have more than one board on the same server?

Thank you for the quick response,

The same happens when i force it to all users, when i'm logged in as admin it shows the theme, but when i log out it goes to the default one.

I will try to clean my cookies and refresh the page. No, i only have one forum, i even tried to reinstall all of myBB, with filezilla, but still the same issue.
Do you have a link you could share? And I'm assuming that the theme is in fact set as the default theme? Does this issue persist with a different test account?
(2020-04-23, 11:21 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]What happens when you click "Force theme on users" in the theme selector list?

Well apparently clearing cookies fixed the issue, is there a reason for this to happen? Can it happen to my users too?
Well, the cookies load based on a specific prefix if you're registered and load for your user. If you aren't logged in, it pulls from a cookie regardless of its prefix if it's named appropriately. If this cookie refers to an invalid theme or a theme that no longer exists, it kicks back to the MyBB default.

That's a bug. I spent hours trying to figure this out a few months back. If the issue persists for other users, changing the cookie prefix will usually fix the issue.
(2020-04-23, 11:36 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the cookies load based on a specific prefix if you're registered and load for your user. If you aren't logged in, it pulls from a cookie regardless of its prefix if it's named appropriately. If this cookie refers to an invalid theme or a theme that no longer exists, it kicks back to the MyBB default.

That's a bug. I spent hours trying to figure this out a few months back. If the issue persists for other users, changing the cookie prefix will usually fix the issue.

That makes sense, since i'm reworking the theme to fit my forum, i had to remove and install it a couple of times, since apparently the stylesheet is not working for me.

how can i change the cookie prefix then? i remenber seeing it in the config page of myBB in the first install, but didn't know you could change it later.
Yea, that'll do it. It was looking at a cookie where the theme was set to a specific theme, but that theme didn't exist anymore so it kicked back to the default. I ran into that exact issue a few months back. It looks at a different cookie if you're a guest for some reason.

You can change the cookie prefix in ACP -> Configuration -> Site Details.
(2020-04-23, 11:49 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]Yea, that'll do it. It was looking at a cookie where the theme was set to a specific theme, but that theme didn't exist anymore so it kicked back to the default. I ran into that exact issue a few months back. It looks at a different cookie if you're a guest for some reason.

You can change the cookie prefix in ACP -> Configuration -> Site Details.

Thank you so much for the help, i'm getting alot of problems with cookies apparently,

When installing themes, intead of the theme i installed, it appears as another whole theme i already uninstalled ages ago. could that also be a problem with cookies?  because that didn't help, plus i saw there is a "Cookie Prefix" option too, would that help in something? maybe helps sort out the cookies better?

sorry for all the questions, im a complete noob when it comes to hosting these kind of forums.

(PS: i already changed the domain, but it keeps happening as long i am messing with theme, then its starts with the "bugs" mentioned above.)
When you say it appears as a theme you uninstalled a while ago, what do you mean specifically? Could be a number of things. It's hard to tell without really taking a look.

In any case, if the cookie prefix settings were "wrong," it probably wouldn't let you log onto the forum, but resetting the prefix basically forces it to reload and re-create all cookies for all users on the forum. So it can help if bad cookies are causing issues from previous configurations. The downside is that it will also log everyone out of the forum and force them to re-log in, so it's not ideal to change it unless you have to.

I'd probably change it though, simply because clearing the cookies resolved certain issues on your end. If there were issues for you, I'd imagine some other users have had the same issues, so it's good to force them all to clear just to be safe. There may be some other issues going on as well, so it'll take some further looking into. Smile
Pages: 1 2