MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: serverhosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. i have a question what server hosting you recommend and how do i add the mybb files here
Hello,
There is no easy answer to your question of a hosting service because it depends on the visitors and growth of you upcoming forum.

I would recommend to start with a managed webspace that meets the following requirements
- PHP
- MySQL database server
- Mail (SMTP) service (for mail notifications)

There are several hosting servers out there, so maybe you wish to choose a domestic one.
In case your forum will grow fast, you can upgrade the hosting to the next level that fits utilisation and bandwith.

Files can be uploaded using FTP client. FTP connection details are provided by the hoster.

Do you also wish to set up a new domain name?
Just check available hosting services and compare the features and pricing.

[ExiTuS]
Like mentioned earlier and if to go to any imaginable details there is no easy anwer.
Myself I had more or less same question about a week ago. But I wasn't setting up everything from the scratch but migrating.
But if to assume your forum is for small community and you just learning I would go for any cheapest shared hosting with c panel provided.
Myself I migrated to namecheap.... Even I beleive some people would laugh at me.

Pros
Dirt cheap, excellent server specs for the money.

Cons.
Slow customer service (but I've seen much worse), brobably not the greatest loading times.

If you go that way installing MyBB is really easy.
Go to Cpanel then to softaculous, choose MyBB
All you would have to choose is admin username and password.
The rest will be automated.
From there you can start playing around with your forum.
Good Luck
(2021-02-04, 01:42 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Like mentioned earlier and if to go to any imaginable details there is no easy anwer.
Myself I had more or less same question about a week ago. But I wasn't setting up everything from the scratch but migrating.
But if to assume your forum is for small community and you just learning I would go for any cheapest shared hosting with c panel provided.
Myself I migrated to namecheap.... Even I beleive some people would laugh at me.

Pros

Cons.
Slow customer service (but I've seen much worse), brobably not the greatest loading times.

Good Luck

Not to dispute your experience, but for anyone making that decision - installing by Softaculous or other automated scripts not recommended.  Searching this site will yield more results, but here's one:

https://community.mybb.com/thread-216393...pid1299452
(2021-02-04, 11:27 AM)nixer55 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-02-04, 01:42 AM)Alhimika Wrote: [ -> ]Like mentioned earlier and if to go to any imaginable details there is no easy anwer.

Pros

Cons.

Good Luck

Not to dispute your experience, but for anyone making that decision - installing by Softaculous or other automated scripts not recommended.  Searching this site will yield more results, but here's one:

https://community.mybb.com/thread-216393...pid1299452

Sorry myself I do not see any difference if installing using softaculous or MyBB install script.
For me the only difference softaculous creates DB for you as well. 
Besides not everyone is a coder ( I am not) and Cpanel with softaculous is a very good startting point to get your forum running while you learn more 

Besides softaculous backups are really easy and very good thing to have
From my experience there have been a lot of threads over the years from installations created by Softaculous not working as expected, they're not always up to date have seemingly created issues on several people's boards in the past.

I would say that if you're serious about running a community, it would be beneficial to learn how to do things like basic file management. I can see the benefit in a 1-click install for something like WordPress, but a community will generally be more hands on than a blog.
I'd agree with Matt, in that I have seen Softaculous installations fail or have 'quirks' a couple of times.
With regards to your hosting this would entirely depend on your needs and your website size, as well as your overall skill level (as to whether you go for a managed or unmanged solution).

I can recommend Digital Ocean VPS, otherwise you may want to look at a hosting solution such as Hostinger, Ionos, etc.
Gents with all my respect.... But you have to consider topicstarter experience. Or lets say his possilbe experience. Or lack of any experience

If to imagine topicstarter is a carpertenter, bricklayer florist or whatevere other trade.
If that's the case your recommendation will sound like a Chinese language
There is a reason cPanel and softaculous are so popular.
Probably for the likes of topicstarter this is the only option to get his forum up and running at least somehow and if there will be some problems can be adressed later on.

Not many people gonna spend coulle of weeks time just to learn install side of things and something can be done in one click.
We not in early 90s after all.
Makes sense to a degree, but then when the Softaculous installation causes problem, which they have on numerous occasions, it's then going to create a problem the user still won't have the knowledge to solve, so has really only moved the problem somewhere else.

I also still think it's wise to gain some degree of basic knowledge of how to maintain a website before you try doing so, in the same say you'd need to know how to do any other job (such as carpentry, bricklaying or floristry) before trying to do it with no knowledge on actually how to.

I think these one-click installers give a false illusion that running a website is easy and won't require any knowledge to maintain, which isn't the case and just leads to struggles further along the line. If it's something you're going to do long term you'll have to learn it at some point.

Could probably be debated all day and I can see both sides, but from my experience here, I've often come back to threads like this in the past a few weeks later and the site doesn't exist any more. I think it is important for people to understand that they will have to gain some technical knowledge to run a site properly before they invest time and money into something they realistically can't maintain.
Plus, we do have documentation available to help with the install process - https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/#installer

It's also worth mentioning that I have just a couple of days ago finished fixing a forum that was installed using Softaculous and had a number of issues such as models not loading, delete buttons not working on the standard MyBB theme with no plugins and no modifications. I then switched and done a manual install which completed without an error.

I do understand everyone's technical levels are different, but give it a shot with the documentation and if you get stuck we are always here to help out.
Pages: 1 2