MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Validation check on Contact Us page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2021-08-09, 08:12 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]What PHP version are you using ? I did test my latest commit in PHP 8 and it worked just fine. I think you will need a tleast PHP 7.0 for this plugin to work properly.

When I go to the MyBB admin page, it says I'm on PHP 5.6.40.

When I go to my web host client portal, then go to Databases, then go to PHP My Admin, it says this:

[*]Database client version: libmysql - 5.6.43
[*]PHP extension: mysqli[Image: dot.gif] curl[Image: dot.gif] mbstring[Image: dot.gif]
[*]PHP version: 7.3.28

What is the difference between these?  Why are these different?

And how do I upgrade PHP?  Do I ask my web host to do that?  They upgraded it to 5.6 a few weeks ago.

Are there any other risks involved?

Should I ask for PHP 7 or PHP 8?
You should ask your host provider to enable PHP 7 for you, then activate it. If you use something like CPanel this can be done (if enabled) by you. Next is a sample guide of how to do this (if enabled):
https://www.name.com/support/articles/36...hin-cPanel
I asked them to upgrade the PHP version.

They said that my version of MyBB required PHP 5.6.

I am on MyBB 1.8.12.

According to this, it appears higher versions of PHP are supported, including the recommended 7.4?

https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/install/requirements/

Should I refer them to this?
(2021-08-10, 03:22 AM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Should I refer them to this?

Yes, you could tell them PHP 5 has no official support too.

Additionally, the requirements of your software is none of their concern in this matter, their comment is irrelevant.
(2021-08-10, 03:32 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-08-10, 03:22 AM)nuraman00 Wrote: [ -> ]Should I refer them to this?

Yes, you could tell them PHP 5 has no official support too.

Additionally, the requirements of your software is none of their concern in this matter, their comment is irrelevant.

They enabled PHP 7.4 through cPanel.

I'm seeing this error now on my forum home page.  I can't load it:

++++++++

MyBB Internal Error
MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue.

Error Type:
MyBB Error (44)
Error Message:
MyBB was unable to load the SQL extension. Please contact the MyBB Group for support. MyBB Website

++++++++++=

What should I do?
Edit your ./inc/config.php and change the value for $config['database']['type'] to mysqli, it's probably set to mysql currently.
Also read the following:
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/errors/
(2021-08-10, 08:17 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Edit your ./inc/config.php and change the value for $config['database']['type'] to mysqli, it's probably set to mysql currently.

Thanks, you were right. I changed it.

And I set it back to PHP 7.4.22 again.

Now I see this on both my main site, and the admin console:

++++++++++

MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.

++++++++++

I can't find where the warnings are logged.

(2021-08-10, 08:55 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Also read the following:
https://docs.mybb.com/1.8/faq/errors/

I'm noticing a few more issues, after the PHP 7.4 upgrade.

1) Posts made via the quick editor appear to hang. But if I open another tab and go to the main page, I see the posts have been submitted.

2) The thread titles remain bold, indicating that I haven't read all the posts in that thread. But I know I have, and I've clicked on those threads repeatedly. They don't go away, they still stay bold.

EDIT: I temporarily switched it back to 5.6. No issues with the above, anymore.

Nor any warnings shown on the main forum page.
You could try using PHP 7.0, 7.1, or 7.2 instead of 7.4

The higher the version the most likely you will find issues with some plugins. With 7.0 you should be fine, even if the oldest officially supported version is 7.4.
(2021-08-11, 07:24 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]You could try using PHP 7.0, 7.1, or 7.2 instead of 7.4

The higher the version the most likely you will find issues with some plugins. With 7.0 you should be fine, even if the oldest officially supported version is 7.4.

Thank you.

I went with 7.0.

No warnings this time on the main forum page.

I did the settings for All Groups; No Forums; No for First Post Only (since I don't want this captcha feature when posting at all); and Yes for Contact Page.

I sent a test email, I see the captcha.

Everything looks good.

Let's see if this reduces the spam I was getting through the Contact Us Page, and solves the original problem.
Pages: 1 2 3