MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Wrong and Irrelevant Search Results
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Can probably just reupload the whole of ./admin/ from a fresh download, but it would have been uploaded from a 1.4 or 1.6 download originally to be like this in the first place which is strange.
I just did. It indeed is pretty weird as I consider myself not as rookie, I use MyBB probably more than a decade. I work meticulously, backup everytime I make changes etc. I don't know what causes all of these issues and it's probably not just fixed and I'll be seeing more errors/problems whilst my board growing up. I'm a bit obsessive about coding so it's better late than never. That's why I'll just freshly install MyBB, again, will be even more careful this time. Hope that it won't happen again.

Thanks all for your time and effort!
(2021-09-15, 11:24 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Under ACP > Configuration > Search System, the Minimum Search Word Length setting appears to be set to 15. It's 0 by default, but means it's stripping out any search terms shorter than 15 characters. This is why it's then returning everything.

I think that if there are zero keywords that meet the minimum characters criteria then an error should be rendered.

If users don't type at least one keyword that meets the requirement then why is the search being processed at all ?

IIRC, this wasn't the case before.
(2021-09-15, 08:06 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-09-15, 11:24 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]Under ACP > Configuration > Search System, the Minimum Search Word Length setting appears to be set to 15. It's 0 by default, but means it's stripping out any search terms shorter than 15 characters. This is why it's then returning everything.

I think that if there are zero keywords that meet the minimum characters criteria then an error should be rendered.

If users don't type at least one keyword that meets the requirement then why is the search being processed at all ?

IIRC, this wasn't the case before.

Exactly. It's sad that I have to start over before figuring out what really happened but sometimes gotta admit the defeat.
The search has always supported not using any keywords, as there's other search fields on the form. For example you could find threads from a certain user in certain forums with a certain prefix. The keywords have always been optional. The only issue here was that setting, any keywords shorter than 15 characters would get stripped, it just needed to be set back to 0 and would have worked fine.
(2021-09-15, 09:09 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]The search has always supported not using any keywords, as there's other search fields on the form. For example you could find threads from a certain user in certain forums with a certain prefix. The keywords have always been optional. The only issue here was that setting, any keywords shorter than 15 characters would get stripped, it just needed to be set back to 0 and would have worked fine.

It is set to 0 now but the problem (in my opinion at least) is that I can make a search blank and with 1 and 2 letters. In this case, it shows me all the threads, including irrelevant ones. But when I make a search with 3 letters, then it says I should use at least 4 letters. 4 letters and above is working fine, as long as it's only one word. So there's this another weird problem. It doesn't count spaces and other words. So lets say I make a search with "aaa abc defghi". It counts it 3 (only the a's), not others and shows me the error that I should use at least 4 letters (applies to every other situation with in this mind).
(2021-09-15, 09:09 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]The search has always supported not using any keywords, as there's other search fields on the form. For example you could find threads from a certain user in certain forums with a certain prefix. The keywords have always been optional. The only issue here was that setting, any keywords shorter than 15 characters would get stripped, it just needed to be set back to 0 and would have worked fine.

This was modified in PR #3459 :
https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/3459

I think this could be improved as to render the error only if any keyword was typed.
Pages: 1 2 3