MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Approved Developer List
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to suggest in the Extend section that there be a link to a page that displays approved developers. Currently there is no way for users to really know who the approved developers are. If I cannot fulfill a request myself that I get private messaged, it gives me a better idea of who I can recommend.
According to Matt : "The developer group here is for core team member developers"
I am a programmer and I am active in making plugins and theme.
If this section is created in the menu, It causes new users They do not trust programmers like me.
If you want to add, I suggest there is a way for programmers to join as well.
thank you.
I agree with Mostafa, it took me a bit to trust him as there isn't much info out there but now we have been working together we have no issue. Obviously anyone shouldn't be able to just get the badges, but some new badges like plugin expert or theme expert without linking on the staff page could help people find competent devs easier.
(2022-02-16, 06:17 PM)Mostafa.Shiraali Wrote: [ -> ]According to Matt : "The developer group here is for core team member developers"
I am a programmer and I am active in making plugins and theme.
If this section is created in the menu, It causes new users They do not trust programmers like me.
If you want to add, I suggest there is a way for programmers to join as well.
thank you.

Ah, I may have misinterpreted your query. I thought you meant the "developer" group on the forums here to have the usergroup badge under your name, not the approved developer group. I don't think there's any visual identifier for that group on the forums, it's only for the Extend site.
How to define an "approved developer"?

On the one hand,
there are a couple of members who developed e.g. only one high-class-quality plugin or theme that makes him a candidate for being a great developer. Should such a member be preferred?
On the other hand,
there are a lot of members who develop a lot of cheap or low-class or just simple plugins or themes. Should these members be discredited?

It would make more sense to just build up a list of developers, who have ever contributed to MyBB extensions. So everyone can query the user profile and form an opinion in terms of quality and trust or if the user is already gone or still active.

[ExiTuS]
As far as I’m aware, the approved developer setting was supposed to allow you to upload to that Extend site without approval. But I don’t think we require approval for anything any more, so it’s usefulness is limited.
(2022-02-16, 11:28 PM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I’m aware, the approved developer setting was supposed to allow you to upload to that Extend site without approval.

Approved Developer should be able to post their thread in Plugin Releases without the thread needing to be approved. I am not certain if this is currently done as I haven't released a new plugin in quite some time.

Matt Wrote:But I don’t think we require approval for anything any more, so it’s usefulness is limited.

The problem with this approach is now users have to be more cautious of what they download. If no checking is taking place, it is a lot easier for a vulnerable submission to be added to the Extend section. By the time the vulnerability is discovered, there is the chance for hundreds of downloads to have taken place.

I strongly urge the staff to require approvals again for plugins if the author is not an approved developer. I understand that sometimes submissions might not always be approved the same day, but it helps keep everyone secure. One of the main duties I performed in my time as staff was trying to manage the queue of extensions. Perhaps Approved Developers could assist in the task of checking plugins. If you would rather it be done by official members of the team, then create a position for Extend Section Auditor. Members can then apply for it who do have the time and knowledge to check thoroughly.
I think the problem was we didn't have enough people to approve them quickly enough. I wasn't involved in that decision and not actually 100% sure that's the case, just remember reading it somewhere.
Would you be able to raise an internal issue where this can get discussed along with possible solutions I provided?
I certainly can, and have done Smile
Pages: 1 2