MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: convert myself back to admin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi, i am the only admin on our forum, i started to run the merge software and had to stop. when i checked i had been demoted from admin to moderator and only had access to the moderator cp, i had no idea how to reinstate myself so i had to rewind back to an archived database, and everything is back as it was.
i really want to do the merge but if i do and the same thing happens again where can i reinstate my admin status?
is it even possible to reinstate my admin status?
on the old forum that i was merging (xenforo2) i was mod.

www.lexus-world.com

mybb : 1.8.22 

i kinda panicked when it happened as i had no way in, the forum as suggested was closed so as mod i could only see the closed forum. is there any way ?

thanks for looking
Change your usergroup in the database, and check that your userid is well setted in inc/config.php : $config['super_admins']
(2022-05-03, 11:31 AM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Change your usergroup in the database, and check that your userid is well setted in inc/config.php : $config['super_admins']

hi, thanks for the answer .... can you expand? when i get demoted by the merge from admin to a mod can i still do that? is that on the server and if so could you point me in the right direction of how to find it on the database. super_admins show '1'
Userid 1 is super_admin by default.
Edit to add your userid. i.e.

$config['super_admins'] = '1,1384';

'Sly' is your current forum super-admin with userid=1.

This update query will set usergroup to administrator in phpMyAdmin.
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `usergroup`=4 WHERE `uid` = 1;

Curious as to what the current setting is.
i am user id 1 and am the only admin . i dont really know where to change it when it reverts me to mod. i am the originator of the myBB forum but the xenforo merge brought in the mods from that forum.

assume im stupid (yep i know, i may very well be) if i perform the merge again where can i go on the database to reset me to super admin? if that makes sense and if it doesnt please tell me

thanks very much for the input

(2022-05-03, 11:47 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Userid 1 is super_admin by default.

if you can tell me which file that is in i can expand it and take a screen shot ...... i found it earlier and saw the setting

[attachment=45110]

is this the right file?

(2022-05-03, 11:47 AM)HLFadmin Wrote: [ -> ]Userid 1 is super_admin by default.

can i show you what my settings are ?
[attachment=45112]

how will i be able to change the super admin user number? with the forum locked for merge only admin can unlock it and as the user numbers change during the emerge process i dont know what mine will be?
Since you are userid 1, there's no need to alter the config.php file.
Call up your database in phpMyAdmin. Elsewhere you mentioned you're in a Plesk environment, but I'm sure there's an equivalent.
Browse the mybb_users table for the record where uid=1. It should be the first record.
The columns usergroup and additionalgroups identify which groups the user belongs to with a single entry for usergroup and a comma delimited list for additionalgroups.

Default values for mybb groups is
Administrator is 4
Moderator is 6
Supermoderator is 3

What are the usergroup and additionalgroups values for user with uid=1 before making any changes? I'm curious.
I thought it was built in that superuser had admin and moderator properties already, but that may not be the case.
You want 4 in usergroup.

If it is a clean install and the merge process did not alter the group properties, you should have access to AdminCP.

Once you do have access, check to see that Administrator group properties include the last 3 checkmark values shown here.

[attachment=45113]

In a PM, you provided more clarity. Ok, I think I understand.
Do the merge, find the userid of your username, change the usergroup to 4 as stated above.
Edit the config.php file so that superuser is not 1 but is your userid.
for other people who may read this benefit (and mine) what i clarified was that once i have done the merge i will no longer be user 1 and as suggested in the merge directions the forum will be locked and only admin will be able to unlock it. as i will no longer be user 1 and no longer admin i wont be able to open the forum and wont have access to any of the CP so wont be able to see what my user number is to change it in

do how do i find the user id of my user name?
Even if the forum is locked (I think you mean closed), you can log in as a simple user. Look at the link to your profile (near the "Welcome back"), the uid part is your user id.

If you can't log in, use MySQL query: SELECT uid FROM mybb_users WHERE username='yournick'
(2022-05-04, 02:33 PM)Crazycat Wrote: [ -> ]Even if the forum is locked (I think you mean closed), you can log in as a simple user. Look at the link to your profile (near the "Welcome back"), the uid part is your user id.

If you can't log in, use MySQL query: SELECT uid FROM mybb_users WHERE username='yournick'

this is going to sound dumb (ok it is dumb) can you give me step by step how to do that ?

when the forum was closed last time i could not get in , had to rewind back to a previous back up
If you can't log in (weird, you probably missed something somewhere), you have to use the SQL query with phpmyadmin or whatever is the interface you use to access to your DB.

I don't know which step I can give you, there is only one step: execute the query to retrieve your uid.
Pages: 1 2