MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where do I find the MyBB SQL Error Language?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On occasion, I get the following error message on my forum:

MyBB SQL Error

MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.

SQL Error:
1040 - Too many connections
Query:
[READ] Unable to connect to MySQL server
If you're a visitor of this website, please wait a few minutes and try again. If this problem persists, please contact the site owner.

If you are the site owner, please check the MyBB Documentation for help resolving common issues, or get technical help on the MyBB Community Forums.

I have read on this forum that I need to contact my host to see why this is happening, so I will do that and hope GoDaddy can help me figure it out because I only had 7 guests and 1 member on when I got the message.  If anyone has additional insight beyond the host, please let me know so I can get this fixed.

What I need to know right now is where I find the file to change that language in the error message.  I want my website guests to have a better understanding of why they are seeing that message.  Please let me know.  Thanks.
The SQL error message come from MySQL and can't be translated.
To translate the MyBB part of the message ($error_message = "<p>MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.</p>";), you'll have to edit the inc/class_error.php file, which is a core file. So, don't do that.
If you're hosting with GoDaddy, it will be on an oversold shared host so you will likely keep getting the error. I would certainly never recommend hosting with a company like GoDaddy.

But yes, the "Too many connections" and "Unable to connect to MySQL server" comes from MySQL so you cna't change that. The rest of the message isn't really designed to be translated either, short of editing a core file as Crazycat said.
(2022-05-06, 10:29 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]If you're hosting with GoDaddy, it will be on an oversold shared host so you will likely keep getting the error. I would certainly never recommend hosting with a company like GoDaddy.

But yes, the "Too many connections" and "Unable to connect to MySQL server" comes from MySQL so you cna't change that. The rest of the message isn't really designed to be translated either, short of editing a core file as Crazycat said.

Will they tell me I need a dedicated server?  Will that solve the problem?  Which hosting company do you recommend to avoid this issue?
They’ll probably blame the software as that’s a common tactic from hosting companies like this. How big is your forum?
(2022-05-07, 12:25 AM)Matt Wrote: [ -> ]They’ll probably blame the software as that’s a common tactic from hosting companies like this. How big is your forum?

I had a forum for ten years and never got these error messages (to my knowledge), but it had other problems given it was so old and no longer supported, plus it would not work on a higher PHP version, which I upgraded to.  I have been using this one for about 6 months and love it except for wanting to resolve this.  I currently have 171 registered users.  I have 151 attachments taking up 19 MB.  I have 98 threads.
You will probably be fine with any hosting that a) costs more than $10 a month and b) is not provided by a domain registrar.
Talking from personal experience, like matt said they will probably blame the software. I used to be with godaddy few months back until it started giving me problems then they started blaming MyBB software and asked me to contact MyBB lol. Considering your forums not that big, you don’t need a dedicated server just buy a normal web hosting you can try either blazingfast or ionos they’re pretty good, been using those two companies for some time now.
What do you see in phpMyAdmin / Status tab?
I'm not sure if that is localized to your connection status, or of the server in general.
If it is localized, you can have a discussion with tech support on just what "too many connections" means in the context of a shared server.

Screenshot is on a VPS. You may see something different.

[attachment=45132]
Typically because shared servers are oversold, this error will happen because there's too much traffic to all the sites hosting on the server, so this error is thrown. It's not an issue with your site itself. There could be hundreds of sites on a single server all using the same resources.
Pages: 1 2