MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: vBulletin - 3.5 (update: beta 1 is out, discuss)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes...

Take a look

What caught my eye was the hooks and plugins thing...

Kier Wrote:It has long been a problem that while a major draw towards vBulletin has been the huge number of hacks and modifications available for the software, for the most part applying hacks to your vBulletin installation would invalidate your right to support.

The new plugin system is designed to allow modifications to the code to be made without editing the PHP files, meaning that not only can you still receive support, but upgrading vBulletin to a new version will leave your modifications intact, so you won't need to re-apply them every time.

At this time there are over four hundred locations where plugin code can run and we expect to add more in response to hack authors during the beta period, with the goal that all major hacks will migrate to the new plugin format.

How do you think this will effect MyBB; or all forum systems for that matter?
Inline Moderation...sounds familiar doesn't it? Wink

Their new features sound pretty high-tech.
The mod patent is great, no editing php thats cool
Yeah... how does that work?
Is it a bunch of functions that are called at certain points in their code? And you do something like funciton overloading to put in your code?
If it's functions at certain points, then Chris has already done that albeit a smaller number of points Smile
Truely, this is a time that I wish I had a vB license. I'd really love to take a look at the new coding and see how they are doing this stuff.
This won't just affect MyBB. It will affect IPB, phpbb, xmb and any other php powered forum softwares. As of now, vb is the only forum software that I heard that tries to make modifications compatible for all versions. I'd say, this is rather a spectacular undertaking as this is a rather big leap in forum development.
well i must admin/mod the features are mega cool but im sure someone can create a hack for mybb gold which means we that all of those features can be used my mybb aswell
I read about since I do own a vBulletin board on one of my sites. It's going to affect all forum softwares, that is new technology no other forum out there has anything like that. I think it might be slower that the current vb3.0.x software, I guess i'll know for sure later down the road.
Wow... those features, who thought of that...

This will leave the other forums behind in the commercial field.
Sure will

Might made buyign VB wurth the money at last.

Any simlar ideas from MyBB? Or are you going to finish GOLD and get that out and then look to this type of new technolgy?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6