MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problems with PHP8 -- tried a LOT of solutions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear MyBB community,

I sincerely hope one of you might be able to help me. 

With the start of 2023, my webhoster (one of the biggest here in Germany) forced me to switch from PHP 7.4 to PHP 8.0. This created several problems in my MyBB (not least due to plugins), but I was able to remedy most of them.

However, three crucial issues remain:
  • The "New" ribbons for forums and sub-forums do not disappear anymore despite no unread threads. The function "Mark all forums as read" does not solve this.
  • The post and thread counter for the whole board (at the bottom) has stopped working. Using the "Recount" tool in ACP does not help.
  • The thread view count for single threads only updates very sporadically.

Of course, I instantly thought of plugin or theme issues, so I deactivated every single plugin (even tried removing all files from the /plugin folder), and completely reverted to MyBB's master theme. 

The issues remain.

Next, I installed a completely new MyBB on a separate subdomain on my webspace, complete with a clean new database. No plugins, no modifications. Again, in this virgin MyBB, all problems remain.

I also tried setting my PHP settings to PHP 8.1 instead of 8.0...no changes.

So, having reached the end of my own ideas...could please someone help me? What could cause these problems?
A user on the German support forum has suspected that all of the abovementioned issues are related to the function "shutdown_query" in the PHP files...?
if you want non-free service , I can fix your problems.

Telegram : @MostafaShiraali
Discord : MostafaShiraali#7754
Thank you, but I would prefer working on this with the community first. It seems to be a larger issue (I've found several threads on the German board regarding this), so I hope the MyBB team has an interest in helping out.

I'd be very grateful.
Would you please contact me via (@noyle#4279) through MyBB's Discord server, to look into the issues you've posted here and on GitHub?

Issue identified in https://github.com/mybb/mybb/issues/4530...1373889203 and also see @Matt's comment below.
These things will all be caused by an error being thrown which prevents the shutdown functions running, but shouldn't be an issue on a clean install. For what it's worth, I'm seeing views update as expected on that board.
Thanks for your replies and your time, guys!

Matt Wrote:For what it's worth, I'm seeing views update as expected on that board.
But you see that as a guest, right? When I'm logging out, my thread views are also counted. However, when I log into my "Tester" account, thread views are no longer counted... Undecided (Even though the function "Count thread author's views" is ON.)

Also, I just uncovered a new bug, both on my original MyBB, as well as my clean new install:
The little "Online/Offline" circles next to an author's name are always put offline. For instance, in this screenshot, I am looking at the thread while logged in as "Tester", yet the little circle icon thinks I'm logged off...

[attachment=45691]

The same happens on my main MyBB, all users are only given an "Offline" icon at the moment. Do you guys think I should also put this as an issue into the GitHub? I don't want to be seen as a spammer...I mean, I can wait until some more fixes have happened in 1.8.34...?
It still sounds like an issue with an error being generated as the same issue was on another board for this reason.

At ACP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Options > Error Logging Medium enable log and email errors, I wouldn't be surprised if an error is being logged, as that would prevent call the things that are broken from working.
Hi Matt,
so, it seems like all the things I am encountering are connected to the same issue, which is already discussed vividly on the GitHub Smile

I think I'll refrain from additional bug reports for now, then...don't want to stress the eager team!
Hi OP,

Does your forum, the one that you have uploaded a /probeboard/error.log for, have any forum where guests are allowed to post or reply?
I'm having similar issues with our forum. A few days ago my web host decided to end support for PHP 7.4 and I had to switch over to PHP 8.0. The forum is still functioning, I have disabled all plugins but I'm still receiving lot's of errors like this:

Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 34 - File: global.php(961) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.26 (Linux)
Warning [2] Undefined variable $recentposts - Line: 17 - File: index.php(468) : eval()'d code PHP 8.0.26 (Linux)
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type bool - Line: 2710 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.0.26 (Linux)
Pages: 1 2