MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Create an "invite only" forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it possible to create an "invite only" forum?

TIA
you can use this free plugin

note : if you need plugin with more custom features that not exist for free , I can create for you non-free
(2023-12-13, 04:00 PM)Mostafa.Shiraali Wrote: [ -> ]you can use this free plugin

Thanks, though that appears to make the entire site "invite only", and I only want a specific forum.

I created a Group with the same permissions as "Moderators", but don't know how to add members to it.

Thx.
I do not know what do you want exactly ,because admin change user to Moderators manually , Because it is obvious that you have to make Moderators who you know.

Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> Edit user
in profile tab change "Primary User Group" or in some cases  you can add usergroup to  Additional User Groups
(2023-12-13, 06:13 PM)Mostafa.Shiraali Wrote: [ -> ]I do not know what do you want exactly ,because admin change user to Moderators manually , Because it is obvious that you have to make Moderators who you know.

Admin CP -> Users & Groups -> Edit user
in profile tab change "Primary User Group" or in some cases  you can add usergroup to  Additional User Groups

I don't want to make everyone with access to the forum "a Moderator".
if you are group leader of the new group you can invite others to this group via User CP --> Group Memberships

The group should of course be configured in such a way that no one can become a member on their own initiative
The simplest method would be to use the Forum Password setting, which would allow you to set a global password for the forum, which you then share it among all your specific users somehow. You could change the password frequently for security (if any).

Second way would be to give permission to specific groups only, then make that group a join-able groups so users can request membership. This would require manual acceptance of specific users. (@bv64 approach above)

If you prefer something like invitation codes as the plugin suggested above by @Mostafa.Shiraali, then yes, it should be easy and feasible to code such a feature but it is possible no such plugin exists as of yet.
I did what I think you want.

I made a new "User Group" and a forum section which only that group can see (post in etc).

Then added members to the new user group via:

ACP >> Users & Groups >> Find Users (find the one you wish to add to the new group) >> Options >> Edit Profile & Settings >> Profile (if the password is filled in, remove it) >>

then you will see a field "Primary User Group" and below is "Additional User Groups" << add them to your new group in there.
Below that is "Display User Group" << this is the group they show as on the whole forum.

Then click "Save User" at the bottom.

Now they will be able to see and interact with the new forum section (as long as the permissions for that new group, for that forum section, are correct)
(2023-12-14, 10:00 AM)lost puppy Wrote: [ -> ]I did what I think you want.

I made a new "User Group" and a forum section which only that group can see (post in etc).

Then added members to the new user group via:

ACP >> Users & Groups >> Find Users (find the one you wish to add to the new group) >> Options >> Edit Profile & Settings >> Profile (if the password is filled in, remove it) >>

then you will see a field "Primary User Group" and below is "Additional User Groups" << add them to your new group in there.
Below that is "Display User Group" << this is the group they show as on the whole forum.

Then click "Save User" at the bottom.

Now they will be able to see and interact with the new forum section (as long as the permissions for that new group, for that forum section, are correct)

This looks like what I need, but two things:

I followed your steps w/o changing the password using my own account. When done, my custom Group is not listed (Home page.)

I don't think this is due to not changing my password. At the bottom of Group settings, I checked the box: "Members can access the Moderator CP" (which I assumed let anyone with Moderator privileges or above to see the Group, and I'm an Admin. Yet nothing appears.

Is there a Group setting I missed? TIA.

(2023-12-13, 06:48 PM)bv64 Wrote: [ -> ]if you are group leader of the new group you can invite others to this group via User CP --> Group Memberships

The group should of course be configured in such a way that no one can become a member on their own initiative

Is "Group Promotions" the same as " Group Memberships" b/c I can't find such a setting. TIA
just found your edit to me, sorry for the late reply

please make sure you are group leader of your group

I've made three screenshots for you

first one shows the option in UserCP

there you should find the groups you lead

click on "View Member" and scroll down

then you see the option to add or invite users to this group

the board for this group should only be open for this group and not for others, check with a testaccount all other groups!

(2023-12-14, 12:41 PM)OysterMug Wrote: [ -> ]Is "Group Promotions" the same as " Group Memberships" b/c I can't find such a setting. TIA
you are in ACP, you should take a look at User CP in the Board
Pages: 1 2