MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disappearing Text in the Editor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I have been chasing this issue for a while now and can't find a fix!

Some members (but not all) when they begin to post a reply to a thread, the text they have typed into the Editor suddenly disappears?

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it .... I actually have never had it happen (the same as many members have not) but some do!

Before I go into the in's and out's of it .... is this a known thing or something which no one else gets?

Running:

php 7.4.33 (as I can't get on 8 as yet due to old plugins which I am trying to sort out)

One plugin in particular "My Insert Buttons" .... If I remove that completely then the issue seems to go away (but I am not sure due to lack of feedback).

But the members of that forum want to keep the "Imgur" upload button which comes with that plugin in the Editor, so I have looked at the code of the plugin and want to embed a button into the Editor for it without using a plugin.
I am not quite there yet .... I can see what each file does but not how it embeds into the scEditor??

I don't know .... do you have any idea please Confused

OH also .... there are NO errors created regarding the issue!

Not via the forum software nor the server!
Disappears, or becomes so small you can hardly see it?  Put the post in edit mode and turn on view source to check.
@lost puppy I know this problem too

what style do these users use?
I don't have the plugin you mentioned installed
In my opinion it occurs when the editor has already loaded, you start writing, but the page is still loading something, the browser shows that it is still loading

@nixer55 it disappears really, you write, and then the field is empty again
I'm not sure if you're open to this, but I'm using Rin Editor for my website:
https://github.com/martec/Rin-Editor

it also has the Imgur upload button that comes with it as well.
You can check it out here as an example: https://mybb.vn/Thread-test-test-more-ta...180#pid180
On my board it wasn't a problem with the editor but with the integration of Bootstrap
Now that I have installed Bootstrap locally, the problem no longer occurs
Thanks for the replies Smile 

@nixer55, as @bv64 has said, the text disappears completely (or this is what I am told as it has never happened to me and adding the fact that I have no errors to look at, it makes it difficult to fix).

@bv64
The members mainly use just a near default MyBB (only css changes to the colour, images etc and a few additional buttons). We do have BootBB as an option for mobile, small tablet users but only about 5 use it.
It effects uses of which ever theme (mobile, tablet, laptop or desktop).
One reported that they stop the "Disappearing Text" by clicking the 'X' on their browser and then typing (so it does seem to be a loading issue).

I have tried some things to speed up the loading time of the Editor (such as removing all large Smilies and cutting down the amount of them to under 250 and this seems to have helped reduce the number of times the problem happens to members).

If I uninstall the "My Insert Buttons" then it seems to stop happening but the members really want to keep the 'Imgur' upload button that comes with that plugin, so I need to find another way?

The last thing I have just tried was changing some file version links in 'CodeButtons' which seemed rather wrong to me ... an image (this is in the BootBB templates but it was the same in the Default templates):

[Image: Screenshot-from-2023-12-21-10-50-29.png]

https://postimg.cc/s1Pc3cjT

You see where it states using version 1822 rather than 1832 and next line version 1832 rather than 1837. I changed those to the higher versions and it seems to have sped up loading (from reports) but not fixed the problem.
are there scripts loaded from external links in headerinclude template?

on mybb-default theme I couldn't recreate the problem cause mybb doesn't load external JS or CSS
To add:

When I inspected my loading time for the Editor (we don't use the 'Quick reply') it was approx 2.16 sec and after changes it is now approx 1.2 sec and I think that is why the problem has never happened to me (the vps is in the UK and so am I but most members are in the US or Canada)

(2023-12-22, 11:59 AM)bv64 Wrote: [ -> ]are there scripts loaded from external links in headerinclude template?

on mybb-default theme I couldn't recreate the problem cause mybb doesn't load external JS or CSS

The only additions to that template are :

<link rel="preconnect" href="https://fonts.googleapis.com">
<link rel="preconnect" href="https://fonts.gstatic.com" crossorigin>
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Dancing+Script:wght@500;700&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">

which is grabbing a font (but the problem was active before I added that).

When I say that we mainly use the Default theme, it is not the actual default (we have that as an option as well) but seems to be a 'child' of the Default.
In ACP it looks this this:
  • BootBB
  • Default-forum (<< this is indented below the Default and has it's own templates and theme)
all templates up to date?
for codebuttons you'd showed us, it wasn't

make sure which style the users with problem use and which device and where they live and many more

always difficult when, as an admin, you cannot test the problem yourself and are dependent on feedback
(2023-12-22, 09:11 PM)bv64 Wrote: [ -> ]all templates up to date?
for codebuttons you'd showed us, it wasn't

make sure which style the users with problem use and which device and where they live and many more

always difficult when, as an admin, you cannot test the problem yourself and are dependent on feedback

Thanks for the help and advice mate, I will check through all the altered templates and see if I can spot anything out of place!

The problem happens to members no matter what OS, browser or device combination (I did ask) they have in use but it does seem linked to loading time for the Editor (just had a thought .... we never used the "Attachment" box option in the past but that was put into use no long before the problem started?).
Pages: 1 2