MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How secure is MyBB ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since I am new to MyBB as of today, made a Site with it for a friend of mine, I would like to ask how Secure MyBB is compared to for example SMF Forums. Though MyBB looks a lot like IPB, and because I use IPB myself, I found it very nice to see a familiar face. Wink So to speak.

But how is the Security ? I am asking because I am responsible for my own Rootserver and for that matter, I always try to find if there would be any risks involving the use of a Software for my Server. I know that other free Software like phpBB is one of the biggest Security flaws ever when it comes to Forum Software, just like I would never install phpNuke as a Site System.

Anyone maybe knows a few things about this that could help me find out which is secure to use ? I have to say, what I saw so far about MyBB, I am impressed, honestly. Wink

Its a good piece of work. But I would like to know more if there is. Wink
Thanks for reading my n00b questions, but I am just brand new to MyBB. Smile

Greets

WarBirD
Security is our #1 priority as always. We haven't had any exploits reported for several months now which leads me to believe that in fact MyBB 1.2 does not have anymore (There could always be, but none that anyone has found, and they're probably not serious if we do find them).
Thank you. In case there will be such in the future, is there a special Forum Section here that would adress such issues ? So I could check on those things when they happen. Hopefully not of course.
Typically an announcement is made and a patch is released here on the MyBB site.
mybb is very secure if there is any kind of problem it be sort right away and a patch will be made Big Grin
It is very important that you are always updated to the latest release.

And from experience, MyBB is very secure. I'd definitely recommend it.
I recommend you join the mailing list. (Right on the Main Page) Once there is a new update you will be notified right when a update is released... I also have subscribed to the Announcements thread to get even sooner e-mails when a update is released.
One other thing to consider is that MyBB is relatively unknown or less used, compared to other systems such as SMF and phpBB, so, by nature, it's going to be targeted less and thus, more secure Toungue

But still, by itself, MyBB is very secure.
ZiNga BuRgA Wrote:One other thing to consider is that MyBB is relatively unknown or less used, compared to other systems such as SMF and phpBB, so, by nature, it's going to be targeted less and thus, more secure Toungue

But still, by itself, MyBB is very secure.

Would it then not be a even better Idea to remove the name of the Forum Software, from the footer entirely. Without people actually getting a name, they even more don´t know what to target, in case they search for a way to hack something or find a way to hack a forum.

I can understand that the Copyright and all that is important for the Showing who made it, and its not that this isnt deserved, but like the Forum Version number not visible, it would make sense to be able to disable all Indications of its origin. Its a drastic step but tbh, I think that would save a lot more possible attackers. But thats just my 2 cent. Wink So don´t bother.
Pages: 1 2