MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: DEBATE: Windows 95 as a webserver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
SinisterSlay Wrote:
Tikitiki Wrote:There's no way you could have made that in paint; Unless of course your trying to be smart and you copy and pasted an image you made in photoshop or got off the internet into paint and said "I made it in paint"

I don't even know hwo to use photoshop, let alone acutally havning it, and its not hard, yeah just patience, the character is from Rakion, i jsut sat till she posed, the screenshot and then using eraser i cut her out, then used laso to finish the job. go tthe background from plenet renders, pasted it in, grabbed my now cut character, cut off the sword, put it in another BMP file, out lined it with black, then deleted the picture leaving black outline, i thined it down to about a 2 pxel line but still in same curve, the tip was about 6 pixles at a point, then i used photo and fax viewer to blur it, pasted it on the whit epart of the image, then place sthe background over top of it, then place sthe character overtop of all that, and done, took about 2 days to do. Obviously not constnatly working on it, maybe in total about 3 hours?

See. You didn't make it in paint, you edited it in paint
Right, you didn't actually draw it then. The guy I was talking about drew it from scratch.
yes I made it in paint, most people don't draw that stuff.

If i had access to the originals I'd show u, but there are on my 95's desktop, which is on the C drive, which is strictly fobidden to access over a network, even I can't access it from my LAN, let alone a WAN. This is done cause their is a nifty virus in existance that surfs the net, and infects computer sthat have their C drive shared, ther eis no defense, it effects all windows machine, the virus itself doesn't do anything anymore, it was scheduled to attack I believe MS's server in 1998, the virus infects you then never does anything. Any computer connected to the internet can carry it (including linux) and send it around without knowing, it actually infects you ive your C drive is shared. XP is especially vulnerable cause it has system shares.
SinisterSlay Wrote:yes I made it in paint, most people don't draw that stuff.

If i had access to the originals I'd show u, but there are on my 95's desktop, which is on the C drive, which is strictly fobidden to access over a network, even I can't access it from my LAN, let alone a WAN. This is done cause their is a nifty virus in existance that surfs the net, and infects computer sthat have their C drive shared, ther eis no defense, it effects all windows machine, the virus itself doesn't do anything anymore, it was scheduled to attack I believe MS's server in 1998, the virus infects you then never does anything. Any computer connected to the internet can carry it (including linux) and send it around without knowing, it actually infects you ive your C drive is shared. XP is especially vulnerable cause it has system shares.

See theres another problem with 95 as a server. No permissions. My server gives every used local and ftp access to there web files. When I login I have permissions to the hole system.

Though's Pic's are made every day by people. I have friends that draw them on paper then scan them in and add colour and tweak them using photoshop. Some make them right on the computer.
Snake Wrote:See theres another problem with 95 as a server. No permissions.

That problem isn't limited to 95, every version of windows has inherited it.

Now ive thought about this and ive come to the conclusion that the only reason one would run windows 95 as a web server would be to show off. Also, the only reason one would defend the decision without actually saying its just for kicks is also to show off. Hell, thinking about it its the sort of thing I'd do for fun. Wouldn't use it for anything important though.
Oh, Trevor. Do I have to come to your defense?
Well, I can defend approximately one of your statements. If each instance of Internet Explorer is started seperately, they will indeed be run as seperate processes. I have confirmed this in Windows XP, and it works the same way in Windows 95 if I recall correctly.

I have to disagree with everything else you've said.
Paint is completely useless. Photoshop and The Gimp are far superior.
The difference between Notepad in Windows 95 and Windows XP is the ability to change the font. If you don't like the default font, change it or download a better text editor.

I have Linux experience. I installed Ubuntu Linux on my PC alongside Windows and had very few problems. When I did have problems, the community was always there to help.
Good luck trying to get help with Windows 95 software.
I found the CLI very useful. If you had the desire to learn something new, you would find it very powerful.
Nothing would run as root unless I told it to and provided my password. And sudo makes running a program as root very easy. You don't even have to switch users.
I got Apache, PHP, and MySQL running in no time thanks to APT and the Ubuntu repositories. APT has both a CLI and GUI interface, so it's easy to use even if you don't understand apt-get commands.
I managed to install MediaWiki on my server, and I imagine I could easily install forum software on it as well.

If you would just take the time to learn something new, you'd find that there's a lot better stuff out there than you've been using.
Andrew Caul Wrote:Oh, Trevor. Do I have to come to your defense?
Well, I can defend approximately one of your statements. If each instance of Internet Explorer is started seperately, they will indeed be run as seperate processes. I have confirmed this in Windows XP, and it works the same way in Windows 95 if I recall correctly.

Actually everyone is incorrect there. I read it in PC Magazine. There's an option somewhere along the lines of "Open a new process for every I.E. Window". It just depends on what you've set it to.
MiNT Wrote:
Snake Wrote:See theres another problem with 95 as a server. No permissions.

That problem isn't limited to 95, every version of windows has inherited it.

Now ive thought about this and ive come to the conclusion that the only reason one would run windows 95 as a web server would be to show off. Also, the only reason one would defend the decision without actually saying its just for kicks is also to show off. Hell, thinking about it its the sort of thing I'd do for fun. Wouldn't use it for anything important though.

Quote 1:
You said you use permissions to have users access your server locally? so your saying your clients go to your server and use it like that? Strange web server.

Bulletproof FTP sets the permissions per folder, it even emulates commands to make you THINK it is a unix system, even allowing CHMOD, of which afterwards it discards your changes. With my account I have access to my entire system, except my C drive, of which, i could give permissions to, but I have no reason to.

Quote 2:
OMG, he got it right, debate is over i guess, finally someone figured it out.
Mod's, close this topic.

Andrew, STFU You dun know orange :p
Im'a pwn u!

And you CAN get windows 95 support, MSDN baby Smile
Also,, remember i complained to MS 2 years ago about removing IE 5.5 for windows 95 out of existance, and i got a personal email from an employee from MS giving me a link to a private download serve by MS that had IE 5.5 and IE 5.5SP2 for windows 95, of which i now provide on my server.
So yeah, you CAN get support.

in fact Andrew the only reason you are here is that you looked at the signature logs that I DESIGNED to read the apache access logs and filter them per folder. Soomething that cannot be done in Windows XP and from what i read, in Linux either because the file will be locked in memory by apache. So you essentially used the product of a Windows 95 only program, to find your way here to say windows 95 sucks. Maybe next time us eyou rall powerful Linux ways to get here eh.

Ok, for those of you that still think 95 inferior, though I can't see how since it has the same features, same functions, same abilities. For the people out there that don't know better, win 95 has nothing to do with permissions, that is all the file system.
How bout some pictures
http://www.trevorsarchives.selfip.net/fu...dStuff.jpg
First off the taskbar and startmenu, the staple of Windows. I can even right click the menus and configure them that way, just like later versions of windows, notice the quick launch, I can make any custom tool bar I want, just like XP.

I had to change resolutions for this picture, but I'm sur eyour high powered linux systems can view this no problem
http://www.trevorsarchives.selfip.net/fu...erties.jpg
My C drive only contains windows, and apache, apache was suposed to be on D drive but their installer sucks, i set D drive and it isntalled the documentation to D, and the program to C, so w/e. 1.44 GB's for an OS, thats a lot of changes from the original 60 megs 95 requires, how many floppies would that be eh?
This aint the Windows 95 you remember, this Is windows 95 C.
My D drive is all programs and the server folders themselves. 16 gigs, Not bad for a Windows 95 system and FAT32.
I left my server folder open so you could see the real path, cause no one else ever will, thanks to the security settings, and If I made a new Win 95 user, they couldn't view it either.
The programs folder and programs properties window is all source code and various resources for programming, the 95's second job. Except Darkstone, there are character skins in there Smile
notice Thumb nail preview? In case I want thumb nails like in XP, although unlike in XP, if there is an HTML page, it WILL show a preview. Also notice the sharing, a standard tab, and the web sharing tab, in web sharing I can set much more advanced permissions.
I'm sure you noticed Trevor's Music Mixer in teh background, thats my program, i made it so I could have a light weight music player at any time, especially on Windows 95, worked great on my laptop too, didn't kill the battery like winamp and WMP did.

I'd ask you to show me what your server is like but the blinking curser on a shell is pretty boring, can't really show much can you?

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna use my webserver to play some games Smile
http://www.trevorsarchives.selfip.net/do...tm2028.jpg

http://www.trevorsarchives.selfip.net/do...ent004.jpg
For those that don't know, thats Direct X8.

Oh yeah, lets not forget Active Movie, that great media player that can play any file type using codecs already on your system and if need be, download new ones (still can too) and loads quicker than you can dbl click an icon.
http://www.trevorsarchives.selfip.net/fu...amovie.jpg
Sure it doesn't have the features, you can make it loop between two points, and you can make it loop endlessly, you can make it go full screen, even at start up. done here
http://www.trevorsarchives.selfip.net/fu...deoTab.jpg
Right, firstly, don't use image tags for images that big. Secondly, you seem to be a little confused as to the role of a webserver given your last few screenshots.

And I'm sorry, I thought we were debating Windows 95 as itself, not some version full of hacks to make it work like newer versions of Windows.
Well my server plays games in it's own way... It acts as a server for our Friday LAN parts at work. Usually we have 10 or so local players then have 5 more VPN (Virtual Private Network) into our network to join the fun. We have been none at times to use our server as another playing console. Why don't you give Americas Army or Unreal Tournament a try on your sever.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13