MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to Reinstall without losing any of my forum changes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I dont want to lose my layout or all the changes i made from it"s original state.
my plug ins or layout or color changes or members, ads anything!
I have it on a redirection from one long url to a shorter one right now, id like to keep the shorter one, and dont know how to install it ?
I have Bravenet, for host and or server,
I just want the shorter link for my Forum.
Can it be done, and how to or what would have to be done to do this?
So what exactly are you asking here? Is this "short url" just a redirect and if so, can it be modified to be linked to a server?
I think you mean move your MyBB Forums to another server without losing anything? If yes:

Close your Forums.

Back up your database

Copy all of your file and put them on your new website. Make sure you CHMOD the files that require CHMODing.

Create a new database on your new host, and then import the backup you made to that database.

Open inc/config.php and make the changes required to connect to the database you just made and imported your old database in.

And congrats, you have your Forum how it was in a different host/domain/url whatever. =]

If not, then please expand on your question. Thanks
sorry for not being more specific, or putting it right!

I dont want to lose any of the forum i have , or any of the changes i have made to it!

I originally had the forum provided from b r a v e n et, and changed it by installing it with my bb forum, by folder or file, menaing at the end of my long url , it looks like /forum/ at the end of the long url

so what i did is, came up with a name for my new forum from my bb, and used it for a new url,
I then, hosted this name on the same host mentioned above, and redirected the short url to the long one , so that my forum would still be operational , without having to change anything and still keep the new url which is alot shorter and not at the end of the long url originally, although it is umasked, cause it eventually was causing problems being masked, so the long url appears in the browser, even thought the short one still works ,and redirects towards the long url!
now , i just want the forum i have reinstalled on the shorter url , keep the host and leave the long url completely out of it!
alot of search engines and seo's wont utlize a redirected site, although i own both urls, it was just a after thought of doing this after being installed , due to changing the url, although, the the long url does have different site stuff and not a fourm, which is fine, i can just link to the forum from their and that would be okay,
does the short url provide dns? I think u and probably talking about a parked domain or something, are you?
i had a parked domain, then i activated it , after figuring out i can use it , without having it parked, i just used a redirect on my host option to the long url , it was orginally installed on which was jsut an extension of my original url, the original url is a long url, not to mention adding a slash forum/ at the end of it just made it longer, so i kept it while using the redirect option of the shorter url to the longer one, then it started causing probs so i unmasked the shorter url , and everything was fine!
since then i only want to seperate the two urls & the forum to run directly on the shorter url , without the connection or having anything to do with the
longer url and the /forum at the end of the url . on its own individual url .
what do u mean dns?
if ur short url doesnt accept or provide dns option then u can't replace your long url with the short one completely. redirecting will only make the short url go to the long url but if u set up the dns options u can make the short url act as the long url. Hope I'm making sense to u
Sounds to me like you need to follow the instructions detailed by DCR in post #3 above. If your shorter url is parked, you can easily get hosting for it and then transfer everything to that new hosting account. If you're using the same host, just get the same package as you currently have.
DCR Wrote:I think you mean move your MyBB Forums to another server without losing anything? If yes:

Close your Forums.

Back up your database

Copy all of your file and put them on your new website. Make sure you CHMOD the files that require CHMODing.

Create a new database on your new host, and then import the backup you made to that database.

Open inc/config.php and make the changes required to connect to the database you just made and imported your old database in.

And congrats, you have your Forum how it was in a different host/domain/url whatever. =]

If not, then please expand on your question. Thanks
NOT...
I want to use the existing My sql data base to install, the pre-existing foum on its own url, than on a redirect which it is now!
Well, if you're on the same host, then you should be able to use the same database. You just need to move your forum files over to your new hosting account with the new domain name.
Pages: 1 2