MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: next step?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have uploaded my files using a FTP.

I'm confused about the next step ragarding "permission". I don't think I need to fill this out because I used FTP? Is this right?

I am missing something between the "permission" section and the "installer". How do I get to the "installer" section after I upload the files?

I have been trying to figure this out for a while. I am really new at this. If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it.
Hi,

In the FTP client, there is usually an option to set permissions (chmod) of a file. Typically, you right-click the file you wish to change permissions, then select Properties or Change Permissions.

What FTP client/program are you using?
Thanks Zinga

I am using Filezilla. When I right click on the uploaded file, there is no option to change permission. When I right click it opens the files. I have two separate folders- "Upload" and "Documentation". Is this how it should be?

There is a panel with "Permissions", but it does not react to a right/left click.
Right Click on a File -> File Attributes
MrDoom Wrote:Right Click on a File -> File Attributes

Thanks MrDoom. Just to be sure, I don't change any of the default file attributes...? For "numeric value", do I put 777? I aplologize for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Are there any instructions on installing mybb with a FTP? I couldn't find any.
If you put a number into the "numeric value" box the check boxes will rearrange themselves.

[wiki]Using FTP[/wiki]
[wiki]HowTo CHMOD[/wiki]
[wiki]CHMOD Files[/wiki]
Ok, this is really embarrasing. I looked at the links provided (I read those before), and I still can't figure out how to get to the "installer". I have chnged the permission to 777 under file attributes. I am reading the steps, but I can't find how it relates to filezilla.

What do I need to do after I change the permission in filezilla?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
You would go to the URL that you uploaded your forum to and add "/install/" to the end of it.
Ok..

That didn't work (got a 404 message), so I deleted everything and started from scratch. I uploaded mybb, extracted all files (no unzip option). Uploaded files to Filezilla. Clicked on "documentation" and "upload". Changed numeric value to 777 for both. Saw the files ("upload" and "documentation") in my webhost control panel/file manager. Typed in my URL, got a 404 message again. I think I may be missing something. Am I supposed to do something after adding 777 to the numeric value?

I'm feeling really challenged right now. All I want to do is install mybb!!! lol
You have to upload the contents of the upload folder. NOT the whole (upload & documentation) folders.
Pages: 1 2