MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: lol, phpBB finally gets a Gold release done.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The only thing that makes me want to switch to phpBB is MyBB's lack of an smtp feature which I really need. Can't a small release with just smtp as the only added feature be released before 1.4? lol.

I hate saying this but right now I'm switching to phpBB until smtp arrives.
Funny that their comparison chart doesn't include Quick Reply anywhere. Toungue
yoink78 Wrote:The only thing that makes me want to switch to phpBB is MyBB's lack of an smtp feature which I really need. Can't a small release with just smtp as the only added feature be released before 1.4? lol.

The SMTP functionality isn't a small modification - it involved us rewriting all of our mail handling systems and developing mail handlers to support different kinds of SMTP servers (different authorisation methods mainly)

Unfortunately, it won't be coming to 1.2. You can probably find one of the modifications posted by users here, however and see if that works.
phpbb3 indeed is attractive, but some parts of it are really hard to use.
yoink78 Wrote:The only thing that makes me want to switch to phpBB is MyBB's lack of an smtp feature which I really need. Can't a small release with just smtp as the only added feature be released before 1.4? lol.

If we made releases for every single person who wanted a feature we would never finish any big releases, would we?

I could just imagine "MyBB 1.2.243643 Released!" "A friend of mine requested a feature so here it is! It is recommended to upgrade your board. Below is attached the 5 affected files to upgrade."
Yeah that's a very good point. It's from a 'majority vote' or from a feature that really needs to be implemented. Again, every forum software is different - and I think any forum software that implements features which aren't necessarily required is a bit stupid. So tikitiki is absolutely right on that one!
There should be a post somewhere in general support about making MyBB 1.2 work with SMTP. You could try and dig it out if you like.
I still don't like it and also it's about time too Toungue
I like phpBB and its lots of features but if there is something I honestly do not like of it, is its main theme. In my opinion, its horrible. phpBB combined with the IPB theme, would be a pretty awesome message board.
uhmm dunno but I like MyBB's default theme xD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6