MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: lol, phpBB finally gets a Gold release done.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
There's some stuff in phpBB3 that I like as well. I just found the bloat argument they made funny, since MyBB did it w/out any "bloating" issues.

I wasn't making fun of the people behind the software --- I was pointing out what I considered as a flaw in their thinking.

And this thread started because they *finally* got a Gold release after almost 7-8 RC's (some of which added new features after the code was supposed to be feature-frozen for the most part, such as those plugin hooks around RC5-6).
phpBB3 has some nice options for the admin, however, that's about all I'm willing to give Toungue

phpBB still sorely needs AJAX.
I used PhpBB2 first after I got off free-forum hosts. I still to this day dislike joining other forums that use PhpBB2 or PhpBB3, I just don't like it anymore...
mybb is more Professional style then phpbb and it does not crash or needs debugging.
Agreed. I like SMF too but When I install mods, I always get errors and I am a Mod-fanatic...never had the issue with MyBB except for when I installed the downloads mod...screwed up my ACP a bit...
I found it nice when I moved from IPB 1.3 that I no longer had to manually hard-code mods into my Forum.
I don't like IPB at all. It looks bulky to me as vbulletin does as well. The only thing I like about IPB is the social network type thing in the profile. Why? Because I have a theory that social networks like myspace and facebook is killing forums andto have it in a forum may just bring the forum interest back more but then again, its just my theory!

Another thing I dislike is when creating a board via IPB or VB, there are so many options to go through. I like a lot but not that much. MyBB offers just what I need.

I just can't get over the fact yall have it for free!!!!
Ah, well I want you all to know I wasn't trying to pick a fight here. I read through the thread again and now I get why some criticism was made. My bad.

I fell in love with MyBB because it offered this great plugins system. I know all about manually adding mods to templates and all, it's just tedious and MyBB just offers the same thing by one single touch of a button Smile I also love it because spammers have a very hard time spamming the forums, so far not even one spammer made it through. And it's so easy to customize as well. I never knew anything about templating but MyBB made it easy so I find myself constantly fiddling with templates and all. And yes, it never crashes or needs debugging. Very well put together piece of forum software.

I was actually contemplating to run phpBB3 or MyBB on the site I'm running. I used to work on another site about the same subject (actress Kaley Cuoco) and there we had a lot of forum trolls. They basically wrecked the forums there and left to never be seen again. So, I wanted a forum warning system to prevent crap like that on my own site and phpBB3 offered it. But it was still in beta and it's not very clever to install that stuff. Then a friend of mine said, why don't you try MyBB? It looks a bit like vBulletin, the software the other Kaley site used. I had a look at it and then saw this stuff about plugins and saw MyBB offered a forum warning system plugin. It also had an additional user settings plugin, which I also wanted. So I gave it a shot and actually liked it. So basically the ease of use of MyBB made me decide to use it instead of phpBB3. And yeah, I don't regret that decision for a second, it's great stuff.

Once again, I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. I should have read the entire thread first before I replied.
1.4 will have a warning system built-in BTW. Smile
I dont see a fight Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6