MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: private home server help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,

I was just wondering because here many of you must be having their own servers or at least tried! isn't??
I want to know is if i set up a new server on my personal computer! it means if i want to work server 24 hour my computer will remain switched ON! 24/7!
so it will not be effect i mean work for a computer machine for months without any restart or rest????

and how about BILL! what will be the maximum bill cast??
and well Internet isn't too much!! Tongue

so hope will help me!
FAISAL!@
I have set-up a few servers, care to be more specific about what you'd want it for?
Faisal Shah Wrote:so it will not be effect i mean work for a computer machine for months without any restart or rest????

It will probably slightly shorten the lifespan of components of your computer

Quote:How much damage can one computer cause?

One desktop computer left on all day for one year can result in more than 1500 pounds of CO2 being released into the atmosphere. It would take 100 to 500 trees to offset that amount of extra CO2.

Is it true that turning off my computer is bad for its hardware?

No. Studies conducted at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory have found that hard disks are not affected by frequent shutdowns. In fact, your hardware may actually last longer due to reduced heat stress and mechanical wear.
http://www.greencampus.harvard.edu/cerp/faq.php
Faisal Shah Wrote:Hi,

I was just wondering because here many of you must be having their own servers or at least tried! isn't??
I want to know is if i set up a new server on my personal computer! it means if i want to work server 24 hour my computer will remain switched ON! 24/7!
so it will not be effect i mean work for a computer machine for months without any restart or rest????

and how about BILL! what will be the maximum bill cast??
and well Internet isn't too much!! Tongue

so hope will help me!
FAISAL!@
The only server I've helped with is one set up for gaming events (LAN parties etc), but if you want a web server then you will need a fast internet connection (T1 or greater) and enough bandwidth.
Well,
Thanks a lot but the main thing i wanted to know what my computer will not get stop after a few days/ or weeks by itself! and may be some of it's hardware or software will get corrupted!!! by ITSELF!

so what will be the solution!
The solution depends on the question, what do you want it for?
You might not need a significant amount of bandwidth. What you have already may be sufficient. As MrDoom has been saying, it depends on what you intend to use it for
Faisal Shah Wrote:Well,
Thanks a lot but the main thing i wanted to know what my computer will not get stop after a few days/ or weeks by itself! and may be some of it's hardware or software will get corrupted!!! by ITSELF!

so what will be the solution!

Well!!!
It will be a personal server will some sites on it and some forum based communities Toungue

FAISAL!
So a web server then, jeesh, there are more types of servers you know. Hence the need for the clarification.

And what Operating System will it be running?
and as DrPoodle said you will need a fast internet connection
Pages: 1 2 3