MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: program to search in text inside files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
anyone know about a program that searches in text inside files?

the build in feature in windows search only in txt files, and I want to search also in php, html etc.
What do you mean the built in Windows one only works with txt files? Just open your PHP or HTML file in Wordpad or something and use it's search...
I want to search in a bunch of files at once
See, now this is why Windows needs grep Toungue
Notepad++ does it quite well, I was just using it at work today.

MrDoom Wrote:See, now this is why Windows needs grep Toungue

The Microsoft justification for not including these types of tools is because they can't figure out how to use them themselves Toungue

kidding.
Dreamweaver!
I've come across this problem time after time, it's so frustrating.

Majority of the times that I've really needed to find something in a bunch of files, I end up uploading all the files to my server (runs Linux) and do a grep search from there.
Will probably be 40 times faster than anything M$ made could do anyway, so in the end it's probably better for me. Big Grin
umm...windows own search does search at least inside xls-files...just used it yesterday, I'd expect it to be able to use all office formats then as well..
there might be a setting in a registry somewhere that will allow you to add all those other fileformats like php, asp, cfm and all that are essentially just text....

EDIT: Found this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309173 in about 2 secs of googling
DennisTT Wrote:Notepad++ does it quite well, I was just using it at work today.
Kimmo Wrote:Found this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309173 in about 2 secs of googling

thanks a lot - both of you!

I'm not sure how to do the changes in the registry so for now, I'll go with notepad++.
but if someone could make me a ".reg" file, I would be grateful
Pages: 1 2