MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: US Aid Figures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
You are aware that by refusing to factor the relative GDP of the countries you are comparing, you cannot make a fair and relative comparison. It would be like comparing the performance difference of a Skoda to a Ferrari without compensating for the BHP of the engine.

As you can see from that chart, in percentage terms against the Gross Domestic Income for the country, the US actually falls very low on the scale, and while I will admit that you do give the most cash away, that is only because you have so, so much to give away. This is why when making comparisons, you need to actually have properly comparable results, and not just numbers.

Still, this is not the place to debate this. This is about the US election, not fiscal comparison.
Debate away Big Grin
MrDoom Wrote:You are aware that by refusing to factor the relative GDP of the countries you are comparing, you cannot make a fair and relative comparison. It would be like comparing the performance difference of a Skoda to a Ferrari without compensating for the BHP of the engine.

As you can see from that chat, in percentage terms against the Gross Domestic Income for the country, the US actually falls very low on the scale, and while I will admit that you do give the most cash away, that is only because you have so, so much to give away. This is why when making comparisons, you need to actually have properly comparable results, and not just numbers.

Still, this is not the place to debate this. This is about the US election, not fiscal comparison.

Quote:You are aware that by refusing to factor the relative GDP of the countries you are comparing, you cannot make a fair and relative comparison.

I'm aware of this Mr.Doom. I'll explain why and let this rest.

The comparison is in the total donating figures. Pure and simple.
In the end, we give the most. That's the bottom line. People should be thankful, not expectant. Take away what we give and the world would hurt. It's the most and that should be enough.

And also don't forget, when you talk USA Donations Americans like Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, tons of movie stars, Church's, Fund raising, big business, late night "Feed the Children Ads", Missions etc... etc. in the USA that donates, you'd find that figure much much higher. Smile

I love politics Smile My initial response the first time was in response to what I considered an un-educated comment because in the end, his choice could hurt individual countries in an economic impact pretty hard. Admittedly however, I'm for his choice in Obama. My point was to just open the door so he could peek at the other side and see what we see and the repercussions of this choice. It will have impact. I would expect outsiders to be saying Hillary. Bill and NAFTA says something about exporting America.

Regards
It's a good job then that you didn't take up your love as a profession. You simply can't win an argument by saying I am right and you are wrong, you need proof (in the form of, preferably independent, normalised figures) and reason (in the form of a sound case, backed up with said proof).

Incidentally, no-one is arguing that the US gives the most aid in pure monetary terms, we are arguing more with your statement that you give the most (since that is a subjective statement unless backed up, something you failed to do).

* MrD. dons his flame retardant suit.
hemi Wrote:Each country in the world had their own currencies and controlled their own fate. Their choice to buy into the American system was theirs throughout time.
My fault, I took you seriously ^^
Didn't know we were talking about an uchronian setting.

Quote:
Quote:And anyway, I still remember the yellow food aid parcels airdropped in Afghanistan, looking like cluster bomblets.
I would say you should be thankful you got fed!
I'll thank you with my middle finger, the undamaged one. I'm sure you don't mind.
In medio stat virtus, as they say.
Huh? Are you middle-eastern darkteller? I assume you are.

Some people can be really screwed up, and that's the thing. I don't think we should have gotten into the war, and I think it's about time we get out. A lot of people didn't want this, I know I didn't...

darkteller Wrote:
Quote:
Quote:And anyway, I still remember the yellow food aid parcels airdropped in Afghanistan, looking like cluster bomblets.
I would say you should be thankful you got fed!
I'll thank you with my middle finger, the undamaged one. I'm sure you don't mind.
In medio stat virtus, as they say.

A little out of line, but agreeable. With all we've taken from others and all we've given neither surmounts another. I think we have no respect, sometimes. We just want what's best for our and others' countries. Sometimes, it just doesn't happen that way.

The only thing I can say in defense, is that something is better than nothing, right?
I'm european. It was the reply he deserved ^^

I think americans should be grateful for the war on Iraq. I mean from an egoistic point of view (and unmoral, like Machiavelli teaches), that and any upcoming war is an effort in order to save the dollar. But this makes of US a terrorist nation (which is worse than a terrorist group), and I don't know how much far can go US in order to save it's economy.
What if US next attacks Iran (you can build as many casus belli as you please)? I think that US is governed by crazy and dangerous people, and before you'll realize, it will be too late.

I was sarcastic to hemi, as it seems he has no knowledge at all of post-world war history. Should I mention the coupe d'etats in latin america, in middle east, in the far east, or even in Europe! (Papadopoulos, first european president from the CIA, or terrorist organizations like Gladio, or how many times US has tried to kill De Gaulle). Or a list of wars in the world caused by US? Or the money spent to fund pro-NATO parties in european countries, or terrorist groups in third world countries. Or the support to dictators pro-US?
When he talks about helping the world and superman acts, I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I think that any country could blame US for some crime perpretated.
Don't american know these things? (I assume you're american)

I can't understand why are all americans so proud of their nation.

Quote:is that something is better than nothing
It depends on what is that thing.

(and sorry for writing so much, and for my english)
Just to jump in and support Mr Doom here, he is completely right. You cannot make a comparison purely on the actual numerical amount...ever. Obviously more wealthy countries will spend more on aid than poorer countries, because they have more money!

The only comparable factor is the percentage given, in this case a percentage of the GDI, which Sweden wins (with just over 1%), and America comes in 21st. I can't see how you can argue that giving 0.17% of your nations wealth is better than giving 1.03% of the nations wealth...it's very simple statistics.
Quote:I'll thank you with my middle finger, the undamaged one. I'm sure you don't mind.

Why no Darkteller, I don't mind at all Smile I wasn't the one waiting for food, I'd be mad too if I was hungry and the only way I could get food is from the one perceived to be the enemy... They'd get my middle finger too Smile lol...

Percentages/ratios are used by countries as a way to extort more free money from the USA. Percentages wouldn't count if the free money wasn't there would it? 0 is null, all it means is we gave nothing then. Instead however, we gave the highest dollar amount. It means just what it states, nothing more, nothing less, The USA gave the most, period. It's a fact. It doesn't matter who has the most or least population. What matters is the money got there and The USA sent the most and the people receiving the aid should be grateful. I wouldn't help someone here at home if I knew I was going to help them and then they'd turn and spit in my face. That's ludicrous to think. I apply the same thought when we give money for Aid. Is this country going to be appreciative? Or, are they gonna bite the hand that feeds them. Any human wouldn't want to be turned on when committing an act of kindness.

I find it ironic smaller countries will do anything to find a way to show they can beat the United States at something. The USA is what everyone tries to compare themselves against. I should have expected no less from anyone here.

Some people take a small piece of the pie and think it's the biggest. When in all actuality, there's still almost a whole pie there that's much bigger than their small piece. The USA is the rest of the pie for a lot of people in this world due in part to our number 1 donating position. That's is truly what counts here. People got helped.

Now, I do understand what our Australian friend and others are saying, And I give Kudos to their countries people for their higher contribution ratios among population vs gov't dollars donated. However, until they can do better than 15 times worse than the United States or get even with in a realm of where we are, they should not comment imo. Even though comments are welcome Big Grin

Quote:(since that is a subjective statement unless backed up, something you failed to do).

Mr.Doom, please read the second to last bottom post on the 1st page and click the link. I proved my point beyond. We are the number one donating country dollar wise. I'm looking at total sum btw as I always have been. I really didnlt think it would take a rocket scientist to figure out I was talking talking total sum in the beginning either.

Regards
Quote:Now, I do understand what our Australian friend and others are saying, And I give Kudos to their countries people for their higher contribution ratios among population vs gov't dollars donated. However, until they can do better than 15 times worse than the United States or get even with in a realm of where we are, they should not comment imo.

So your way of thinking is that these countries who have a much less population of people should match or beat the US figures by dollar amounts?

That's absolutely ridiculous, and if they were even close to being able to doing this, just think of the shame America would have to live with, thinking countries much tinier than the US forking out more aid funds.

That's why percentages have been given, perhaps you should learn what the word means then maybe you'd understand.

Quote:they should not comment imo.

Since you can't or don't want to understand the concept of percentages, you should not be commenting imo.
hemi,

You have absolutely no understanding of statistics. The USA haven't given more, they have given less. Say the US and Sweden had the exact same economy. The Swedish have given 1% of that economy and yet the US has given 0.1%. I'm sure the people receiving the money are grateful, but the US are skimping out by seemingly offering a high amount which is actually a low amount if you take into consideration their economy.

I'm afraid the world doesn't quite work the way you think it does.
Pages: 1 2 3 4