MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: HOW TO: Automated database backups (1 line of code + cPanel)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Does no one have any clue about this? I might just have to give up, but it would be great if I could set up a cron job to do this.
Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I can't believe I forgot to put that in the tutorial... you have to change the permissions for the folder you are saving the backup and make it writable. CHMOD it to 777.

Also, you do not use quotes in the file. Your first example is correct.
Its a good tut but it's not explained very well for those newbies Toungue
Hmmm...I could have sworn I tried changing the chmod, but I'll do it again just to make sure. Big Grin

edit: OK, that worked...but one thing I did a bit different, since not everyone has access to anything below the root directory. I just chmoded the directory to 733, where it could be written and executed but not read by the public...and the backup went through just fine. Thanks for the tutorial and help.
Jag100 Wrote:Its a good tut but it's not explained very well for those newbies Toungue
I tried my best at this as I went through it myself and documented everything I did, I need to work on adding the "common sense" steps though. Wink

judel Wrote:Hmmm...I could have sworn I tried changing the chmod, but I'll do it again just to make sure. Big Grin

edit: OK, that worked...but one thing I did a bit different, since not everyone has access to anything below the root directory. I just chmoded the directory to 733, where it could be written and executed but not read by the public...and the backup went through just fine. Thanks for the tutorial and help.
Sorry about that, like I said I haven't used a web host with anything other than cPanel in years so I'm basing it on what I know. Wink
Hey! I have common sense, and I know my way around a computer...but if you write step by step instructions, you cannot leave anything out. LOL...I've never dealt with cron jobs before, so I needed to be spoon fed. And if I needed that, you can bet others will too! But like I said, it finally worked and I appreciate the help! Toungue
I didn't mean any disrespect, I had the quotes around common sense because it was common sense to me but I should have taken into account that this tutorial wasn't for me. This tutorial was written for newbs, by a newb. Wink
Well, this is one newb that is glad you created this thread. LOL...I can now rest easy in case some stupid hacker finds my forum, since I have a backup running every 12 hours. Wink
Well, darn! I spoke too soon. After upgrading my mysql server from 4.0 to 4.1, I can no longer do the backup through a cron job. I keep getting the following error.

/usr/bin/mysqldump: File '/usr/share/mysql/charsets/?.conf' not found
(Errcode: 2)
/usr/bin/mysqldump: Character set '#33' is not a compiled character set
and is not specified in the '/usr/share/mysql/charsets/Index' file
/usr/bin/mysqldump: Got error: 1251: Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client when
trying to connect

I've searched google and found it all over the place but could find no solution, other than a lot of people get this error with 4.1 but not 4.0. Has anyone who is using 4.1 been able to do the mysqldump?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9