MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need computer tech help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm working on some computers at school that have been reported to be getting things like Adware, Spyware, and severe Viruses. I've checked all of the reported computers and the only protection on all of them, even the brand new ones, is an old, outdated version of Command AntiVirus for Windows. I think they are not properly protected. I need a second opinion before I can report what the error is to the school. What do you guys think is wrong with the computers?
It's likely that, if the AntiVirus is outdated, then they have gotten a newer virus that the AntiVirus didn't know about.

You could always get AVG and run it to see if it's infected.
i use avg good and free but i also got norton

i say tell them to protect it becuase they expect you to do work on it
Download AVG http://free.grisoft.com and Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware (both free) and run them both. If one computer has a virus, depending on the virus it could have spread through the network. My advice it get the schools IT person to check and quarantine the reported PCs on the network.
I've checked all school computers. They all have the very first version of Command AntiVirus for Windows on them and that's there only protection. They tried a free demonstration of Antivirus Pro on one computer and that listed all of the viruses on that computer, but since it was a free demo, nothing could be done about it and the school just changed back to the old Command Antvirus for Windows. BTW there was one top level threat and several level four level three threats.
avg puts them in the virus vualt and lets you delete trojons
I use Avast... works very very well!
Its ok recommending these programs to install, but you have to be careful, being on a network you will have license issues, for example, you wont be able to use AVG, here is the licence bit you need to know about

Quote:Licensing

* AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single computer use only. The use of AVG Free within any organization (including non-profit organizations) or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.
* AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is not for use with any type of OEM bundling with software, hardware components, or any other services.
* Your use of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition shall be in accordance with and is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition License Agreement that accompanies AVG Free.

You need to check around for virus scanners and spyware programs to remove the majority of your problems, but in doing so you need to check licencing first, a school network is not considered as a private use computer, so many free programs are not infact free.
Ya you may want to talk to your school about getting a network firewall and also funding for a new virus program.Wink
Ultimately it shouldn't be the student's responsibility to secure and fix these PCs. There should be a trained professional on-site who can do all of this for you. If they are expecting you to do this then I see where their first security fault lies. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5