MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Permissions System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm very unhappy with MyBB's permision system. I have these private "Staff" forums, although regular users can not see topics, they can see the actual forum on the forum index. I've done everything I can do in the permssions area to disable people other than "Staff" to view those forums. But -- no success.

If there's a simple code modification, or that this will be fixed in Gold, I'd be glad to hear it. Smile
Open your admin panel, go to:
Board Settings -> Change -> Forum Home Options -> Hide Private Forums?

Set that to yes and your staff forum will be hidden on the index.
The only problem is that if u do that ALL private forums will be hidden. While it whould be better to choose which forums whould be individualy hidden depending on what the admin wants. so u can for example half of the private forum hidden and half visible in main page but not accessible
eXaulz Wrote:I'm very unhappy with MyBB's permision system. I have these private "Staff" forums, although regular users can not see topics, they can see the actual forum on the forum index. I've done everything I can do in the permssions area to disable people other than "Staff" to view those forums. But -- no success.

If there's a simple code modification, or that this will be fixed in Gold, I'd be glad to hear it. Smile

If you have them setup correct the forum should be hidden for everyone but staff. On any forums that I have, there is always one hidden forum, i've had no problems making it hidden. Put the staff forum under it's own category, and make sure the usergroups aren't able to see them [all but the staff group(s)]. When doing the permissions, be sure "Use Custom Settings Below" is marked, otherwise it won't work.
exaulz,

Please do as HomeDawg has said, then afterwards do this:

ACP -> Maintanance -> Cache Manager -> "forumpermissions" -> Rebuild Cache

Then refresh your forum and it should work.

Quote:The only problem is that if u do that ALL private forums will be hidden. While it whould be better to choose which forums whould be individualy hidden depending on what the admin wants. so u can for example half of the private forum hidden and half visible in main page but not accessible

If he chooses for certain groups to not be able to view them, then whats the point for him to allow those other boards to be visible, but unaccessible? You'd be better off creating a forum just for guests or the like stating any specific instructions for them to see the other forums.
cause he might want for example some boards to be unaccessible but visible that they exist so guests to see them and make them register but certain boards like Moderators forum for example that normal users should not know that it exists
...then why not do what I said? With the current permission system, you either see the forum or you don't. There is no grey, and it's rather a obsolete feature if a guest can see a forum, but can't access it. As, an admin would likely make a forum invicible from certain groups as they don't want them to see the topics/threads/polls/content on that forum...

but unfortunately, mybb's system makes it so that you see the topic's title and a link to that thread on the index page, which negates the administrators decision of making that forum un-viewable.
The system is good i didnt complained. but assuming that in every forum there was a check box like Is this forum hidden Yes or No it whould be even better
Cory Wrote:but unfortunately, mybb's system makes it so that you see the topic's title and a link to that thread on the index page, which negates the administrators decision of making that forum un-viewable.

Wink
As Cory said, rebuilding the caches should do the trick.
Pages: 1 2