MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods section idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
labrocca Wrote:Sucks that so many mods supposedly won't be 1.4 compatible. This is kind of a shock to me. I just thought it was mainly mods with admincp parts included that would be the hardest to translate. Zinga and Tiki...you are a part of a small group that gets 1.4 code access. That hardly makes it fair imho. One day 1.4 seemingly will be released and all plugin authors will just have to scramble to update. That might actually cause a lot of burden imho. I was here for the 1.1x to 1.2x series change and it seemed a lot of authors simply didn't bother to update. Would be a shame to lose the 1.2x plugins because authors felt overwhelmed by the 1.4 release and demands to update.

Funny you mention this. I think you'll be finding out soon enough what the 1.4 code is.

I actually myself have not worked on any of my plugins yet either

Tikitiki Wrote:
Quote:"Making plugins ready for 1.4" article aside

Where is this article? I haven't seen it around.

User Submitted Tutorials. I wrote it. It's been there for a while now.
Quote:User Submitted Tutorials. I wrote it. It's been there for a while now.

I didn't get the memo...have to fire my secretary now.

Quote:I think you'll be finding out soon enough what the 1.4 code is.

The hammer is about to drop ehh...hopefully not while I am sick. I can barely stare at my screen let alone code. Do me a favor and wait a few days at least. Smile
labrocca Wrote:
Quote:I think you'll be finding out soon enough what the 1.4 code is.

The hammer is about to drop ehh...hopefully not while I am sick. I can barely stare at my screen let alone code. Do me a favor and wait a few days at least. Smile

Heh, The code won't be out for a while I don't think, but you should be getting a lots more personal with 1.4 soon enough.
Tikitiki Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
Tikitiki Wrote:Trust me.

Your plugins won't both work with 1.2 AND 1.4.
It's definitely possible to write MyBB 1.2/1.4 wrappers. I have a number of private plugins which work transparently on 1.2 and 1.4 Toungue

But I do think that there won't be too many plugins which incorporate this, so...

Yeah, I'm aware of that, seeing as I've done my own but 99.9% of mod authors won't bother

Ah, that stinks. I was nearly done with a photo gallery I'm completing. It's suppose to be a substitute instead of coppermine. All that work, only to find out it won't be compatible. Sad
It might be compatible o.0. We should have a 1.2 mode Toungue, like windows has a XP compatibility mode. Lol.
ahero4heor Wrote:It might be compatible o.0. We should have a 1.2 mode Toungue, like windows has a XP compatibility mode. Lol.

Free time isn't cheap these days. I designed the plugin to create the necessary files and folders and import the code required for each file along with a bunch of others -- all within one plugin file and one activation. It removes everything it created during deactivation except for the uploaded images for the Gallery. Of course you need to upload a few files, but not my point. If major changes haven't been made to the MyBB plugin system, I may be able to convert it easily. Let's hope. Smile
Regards.
rcpalace Wrote:Ah, that stinks. I was nearly done with a photo gallery I'm completing. It's suppose to be a substitute instead of coppermine. All that work, only to find out it won't be compatible. Sad

This is why I really have stopped most of my own plugin development on MYPS. I know there are many that wish I would do release after release but I can't afford to rewrite a lot of plugins when 1.4 comes out. I will need to spend time updating all my sites (30+), my themes (12+), and my plugins (20+).
If you look at Tikitiki's tutorial, you should be able to make most plugins 1.2/1.4 compatible, just like I've done for MyPlaza. MyPlaza isn't fully 1.4 compatible, but all I need to do is update about one or two wrappers and it mostly will be. The AdminCP requires a bit more work, but I suspect that that can also be wrapped up, to be transparently compatible between both versions.

I've actually thought about a plugin which adds a 1.2 compatibility mode switch, but the main issue is the yes/no -> 1/0 conversion in queries (would require a query parser to be written). Most other things can be made compatible though...

I can assure you that making your existing 1.2 plugins to be 1.4 compatible isn't (generally) going to be a daunting task...

Back on topic, I don't think allowing plugins to be under two version categories is that necessary.
Quote:I can assure you that making your existing 1.2 plugins to be 1.4 compatible isn't (generally) going to be a daunting task...

It's the time consumption. You are probably one of the fastest coders mybb has. I am quite possibly one of the slowest. I tend to spend a lot of time figuring out functions and how I can get them to work in my head. I don't have perfect mental code logic. Looking at what Tikitiki says is needed for conversion does look like it can be easy. What concerns me is the time for testing and also checking out everything that 1.4 touches. I tend to read over the code my code interacts with.

I also have a LOT of small plugins.

Quote:Back on topic, I don't think allowing plugins to be under two version categories is that necessary.

I agree.

As for the on/off yes/no being removed...I can understand 1.4 of mybb removing it from their own core system but to remove the on/off yes/no functions of mybb for plugins might not be in the best interest of their community. Let's just say officially they release 1.4 with the compatibility but request all future plugins use 1/0 instead and that any updates make the change as well. That imho would help ease some of the work. I am more than happy to make any future plugins with the 1/0 method and always considered the yes/no on/off method to be a bit weird....it's not the usual binary true/false technique I normally see.
labrocca Wrote:It's the time consumption. You are probably one of the fastest coders mybb has. I am quite possibly one of the slowest. I tend to spend a lot of time figuring out functions and how I can get them to work in my head. I don't have perfect mental code logic. Looking at what Tikitiki says is needed for conversion does look like it can be easy. What concerns me is the time for testing and also checking out everything that 1.4 touches. I tend to read over the code my code interacts with.
Yes, it's more tedious than difficult.

For example, search plugins for TABLE_PREFIX and delete them. It's not hard, but a little repetitive.

Most of the time, you're just doing a search & replace.

labrocca Wrote:I also have a LOT of small plugins.
Same here - most of them are private though Toungue

labrocca Wrote:As for the on/off yes/no being removed...I can understand 1.4 of mybb removing it from their own core system but to remove the on/off yes/no functions of mybb for plugins might not be in the best interest of their community. Let's just say officially they release 1.4 with the compatibility but request all future plugins use 1/0 instead and that any updates make the change as well. That imho would help ease some of the work. I am more than happy to make any future plugins with the 1/0 method and always considered the yes/no on/off method to be a bit weird....it's not the usual binary true/false technique I normally see.
Functionality is still there, just you use 1/0 to represent yes/no and on/off options.
Pages: 1 2 3