MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods section idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yeh, no one said we removed any functionality - Just changed to be faster or better
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
labrocca Wrote:It's the time consumption. You are probably one of the fastest coders mybb has. I am quite possibly one of the slowest. I tend to spend a lot of time figuring out functions and how I can get them to work in my head. I don't have perfect mental code logic. Looking at what Tikitiki says is needed for conversion does look like it can be easy. What concerns me is the time for testing and also checking out everything that 1.4 touches. I tend to read over the code my code interacts with.
Yes, it's more tedious than difficult.

For example, search plugins for TABLE_PREFIX and delete them. It's not hard, but a little repetitive.

Most of the time, you're just doing a search & replace.

labrocca Wrote:I also have a LOT of small plugins.
Same here - most of them are private though Toungue

labrocca Wrote:As for the on/off yes/no being removed...I can understand 1.4 of mybb removing it from their own core system but to remove the on/off yes/no functions of mybb for plugins might not be in the best interest of their community. Let's just say officially they release 1.4 with the compatibility but request all future plugins use 1/0 instead and that any updates make the change as well. That imho would help ease some of the work. I am more than happy to make any future plugins with the 1/0 method and always considered the yes/no on/off method to be a bit weird....it's not the usual binary true/false technique I normally see.
Functionality is still there, just you use 1/0 to represent yes/no and on/off options.

If it's going to be a search & replace type thing we need to do. I can create a search & replace script to convert the mods from 1.2 to 1.4. However, if the plugin that needs to be converted is quite big it may take hours. 0_o
rcpalace Wrote:
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:
labrocca Wrote:It's the time consumption. You are probably one of the fastest coders mybb has. I am quite possibly one of the slowest. I tend to spend a lot of time figuring out functions and how I can get them to work in my head. I don't have perfect mental code logic. Looking at what Tikitiki says is needed for conversion does look like it can be easy. What concerns me is the time for testing and also checking out everything that 1.4 touches. I tend to read over the code my code interacts with.
Yes, it's more tedious than difficult.

For example, search plugins for TABLE_PREFIX and delete them. It's not hard, but a little repetitive.

Most of the time, you're just doing a search & replace.

labrocca Wrote:I also have a LOT of small plugins.
Same here - most of them are private though Toungue

labrocca Wrote:As for the on/off yes/no being removed...I can understand 1.4 of mybb removing it from their own core system but to remove the on/off yes/no functions of mybb for plugins might not be in the best interest of their community. Let's just say officially they release 1.4 with the compatibility but request all future plugins use 1/0 instead and that any updates make the change as well. That imho would help ease some of the work. I am more than happy to make any future plugins with the 1/0 method and always considered the yes/no on/off method to be a bit weird....it's not the usual binary true/false technique I normally see.
Functionality is still there, just you use 1/0 to represent yes/no and on/off options.

If it's going to be a search & replace type thing we need to do. I can create a search & replace script to convert the mods from 1.2 to 1.4. However, if the plugin that needs to be converted is quite big it may take hours. 0_o

Many of the changes are indeed search & replace but there are also many additions, and other changes that you simple can't "search & replace" - especially if we're talking about ACP plugins
Ah, I see. As long as the changes where for the best. Big Grin
rcpalace Wrote:If it's going to be a search & replace type thing we need to do. I can create a search & replace script to convert the mods from 1.2 to 1.4. However, if the plugin that needs to be converted is quite big it may take hours. 0_o
...and also, the search and replace should be manually done.

For example, TABLE_PREFIX will need to be removed before certain queries, but if you use $db->query, you'll have to keep it there.

What I meant by search and replace is the typical Search & Replace dialog most decent text editors offer.
So.... is there an actual answer for this suggestion?
I don't think there ever was an answer, but maybe I missed the memo. I'm guessing a 'no', but don't take my word for it.
yottabytewizard Wrote:So.... is there an actual answer for this suggestion?
Your original question/suggestion was already answered in the second post:
Tikitiki Wrote:1.4 isn't even released to the public and you already want to know which plugins will work with MyBB 1.4?

My guess would be next to 0.
?

As for plugins which support multiple versions of MyBB, I think there's a general disagreement for the suggestion.
Pages: 1 2 3