MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can anyone reccomend a paid webhost?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For Dreamhost: Chris B (provides hosting via reseller) and a coupon = GOOD.

Also:
NEVER and I repeat.... NEVVVVEEEEERRRRRR use Dot5Hosting. They are THE WORST host you could ever imagine. They have the worst panel ,the worst support, very limited access.... The list goes on.
Two words to remember when it comes to hosting. Cheap and reliable, very rarely do they go well together.

A host that offers unlimited "this and that" for a couple of dollars is just asking for trouble. Besides, when did they ever invent an unlimited hard drive?!!! Everyone wants as much bandwidth as possible for a couple of dollars, but hand on heart, I bet you don`t even use any where near those kind of figures. Anyways, a provider would likely be having a heart attack if you came anywhere near it!!!

If your websites mean a lot to you, then pay the extra for decent home for them. I mean web hosting is so cheap now-a-days, for the cost of a big mac combo you can get a web hosting account.

Before looking at a host and deciding "wow for a dollar I can get 10,000gb of diskspace". Think again, they might be gone next week or more than likely they are massive oversellers. During the summer months, a lot of students take up reseller plans and offer "awesome" services, only by September they simply vanish and so does your website, because they have lost interest.

Spend time reviewing potential hosts, send them emails. You can never send enough presales emails. You can often get a good feeling about a host just by the response. Look up their company name on google, see if there are tons of complaints or not.

Ive been hosting websites since 1998 and been burned several times by hosts. Ive suffered the vanishing act too. I woke up one morning, my sites were down, account gone, ended up finding out the host hadnt paid their upstream provider bills. Since then Ive become a bit wiser and now manage my own servers for myself and to clients.
I's unmetered, so it's as much as the server can handle... Yeah there's a cap somewhere in there, that you certainly don't know about and take that into account.
i think i suggested, once that a category forum be set up for this once, it was shot down, i think it was a random chat thing
I went with hostgator....

Today I tried to log onto ftp and access my index page and was unable to. I found out I received an email saying I needed to call them to verify my account.

Apparently because I am on satellite internet and due to the fact all traffic is routed through the Germantown Maryland NOC makes me appear 1000 miles away from where I really am (My billing address).

So they needed to verify my account for fraud purposes. The operator said he'd let someone know to unlock my account now that I verified it. I called them a little over a half an hour ago and my account still isn't unlocked.

I wonder how long it takes?Toungue

Now they want me to pay an additional $7.96 totaling $15.92 for invoices. I already paid the $7.96 for the hosting plan when I signed up.

My card isn't showing anything that has been refunded and their billing system confirms that.

This is what they told me:

Quote:Hello,

Thanks for verifying your order with us. Since your first invoice was refunded pending your verification, please login to hostgator/billing and pay the due invoice on your account. Once paid, please reply back so we can activate the account on the server.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Under billing it's saying I owe an additional $7.96 totaling $15.92 which $7.96 has already been paid. It seems like they are trying to double charge me.

All this is the result of my ip address making me appear 1000 miles away from my billing address just because traffic on our satellite internet is routed through the Maryland network operations center.

Thank You,
^ For double billing, I'm sure you can consult them, if you can show proof that you've paid them before (ie a receipt).
ZiNgA BuRgA Wrote:^ For double billing, I'm sure you can consult them, if you can show proof that you've paid them before (ie a receipt).

I found out they did refund my card pending verification, so I went ahead and paid the due $7.96 and requested my account be re-activated.

I haven't heard anything again in over 12 hours and my account is still locked.Sad

Looks like if they don't respond to my ticket and re-activate my account, I'll have to phone them up again.
Pages: 1 2 3