MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: To the MyBB Community....Would you ever...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ryan Ashbrook Wrote:As I stated in the other thread, if the work in question is quality work and the support for it is top notch support I see no reason to put a price on it.

Not everything in the world is free, this rule applies to the MyBB Modifications and Theming community as well.

It was bound to happen, people need to make money and if they can do that via making plugins and themes for MyBB (or any other BBS for that matter) then by all means, go right ahead.

The fact that MyBB itself is free is irrelevant to the topic at hand, look at phpBB, it's been free forever and sites like eXtreme Pixels are selling themes for $20 to $40 a pop.

And these are quality themes too, not your usual color change/switching some templates around (which are all to common nowadays, but that's a discussion for a later date). I'd gladly pay for something of quality work, regardless of the price of the product it's made for.

HUGE difference with phpbb as they ATLEAST have tons of people doing mods/plugins/themes for free. Here your gonna basically be held hostage by the few people doing the plugins if you dont know how to do it yourself. Sorry but i surely cant see how that is gonna help mybb grow. People looking for free will go elsewhere where they can get the extras for free as well. If they wanna pay they will go to IPB, UBB, or vB where all of the extras are already built in. Sorry but mybb has NOT made a name for itself like that just yet.
But you and the rest go on thinking otherwise. Just remember i told you so when growth here slows to a crawl. Not that i think YOU care anyways as you have your OWN BBS system and this will probably benifit yours as people go looking elsewhere.

No need to get nasty anymore and i do apologize for doing so with the name calling.

Oh and if the job is soo thankless then why even bother doing it? I keep hearing that YET i see tons of other sites that have managed to survive very well over the past 5yrs + and remain free. Need me to list them i will? Sorry but i cannot buy that excuse and again think a few are out to just make a quick buck. Has ZERO to do with appreciation even though a few are trying like hell to turn it into that so they can get people to feel sorry for them. I think a few need to browse the phpbb site and the sites who theme/mod for that system. Learn what appreciation is REALLY about. It is sad but all i am starting to see is people here with nothing but $$$ on the brain. So much for the giving/sharing spirit at mybb. What a sad turn of events for mybb. Sad

This software never had a chance as it seems it was populated with people who's only goal was/is to make money off of it's plugin system from get go. Sad

I apologize to all as i dont seem to have helped our case to keep this stuff free.Sad I suggest you all start looking for alternatives because it is clear these guys are just here to make a buck and i havent seen anyone step up to the plate and say hey i will do them and keep them ALL free. Either that are start hitting the ideas section to get your features included.

To the thread Starter
I have nothing against what your trying to do just try to give a little back to the community is all i ask. You seem to wanna do that so all is good. Good luck with it. Smile
HarryWx: You're acting as though we've started charging for the MyBB product itself. Please do keep in mind that MyBB developers too create features for MyBB, and sometimes even plugins.

I cannot make this any clearer to you. Do NOT continue posting if all you are trying to do is guilt people into not charging for a service that they have every right to charge for.

I am tempted to close this thread as I feel that no useful posts will be made - but I will leave it up to you, the community, to choose how you are dealt with for the actions you make.
rh1n0 Wrote:HarryWx: You're acting as though we've started charging for the MyBB product itself. Please do keep in mind that MyBB developers too create features for MyBB, and sometimes even plugins.

I cannot make this any clearer to you. Do NOT continue posting if all you are trying to do is guilt people into not charging for a service that they have every right to charge for.

I am tempted to close this thread as I feel that no useful posts will be made - but I will leave it up to you, the community, to choose how you are dealt with for the actions you make.

Wasnt what i was trying to do. I know you guys will continue to do your own plugins as well and i do thank you all for that as well. But anyways again i apologize. I'll remain silent from here on out on this issue.

Have a good one.
Most of us users in Third World countries cannot pay or even if we can afford it, we do not have the services to pay in the required manner. So I'd suggest and prefer, to keep it - FREE! Yuppie!
I am in favor of and am willing to pay to support the project and get access to the plugins and I'm not labrocca's "Bud", more like a virtual acquaintance. A bud is someone you know personally in real life.

I don't mind paying because I'd like to give initiative for plugin authors to continue to make great plugins and encourage them to keep working.

Paying will help plugins become better and will ensure any issues will be fixed faster as the author has an initiative to work harder. Paying will also guarantee I get support quicker if an issue arises and so on.

You get what you pay for, can you expect someone to give you something for free and then provide service for free as well? Think of this as a subscription as a service, you are not only paying for the access to the plugins but quicker support as well.

Personally it's his business if he wants to do this as he is the one doing the work so it's his call, and there are many willing to pay to support him and the projects he works on. With prices going up nearly everywhere now, it is ideal to add such a system to keep the project going. If he was to raveled up working a job all day everyday there would barely be time to work on plugins and provide support.

Once you code a plugin, it's your decision what you want to do with it so you should generally respect authors decisions like labrocca. Plugins do not necessarily fall under the same license Mybb does, as there are even projects under the GNU/GPL that offer paid services or paid access to extras in order to fund the project.Wink

Of course if you don't want to or can't pay for the subscription you are always welcome to use alternative plugins that provide some/most of the same functions but thats you're choice, no one is forcing you to pay a for the subscription.
Xtreme2damax Wrote:I am in favor of and am willing to pay to support the project and get access to the plugins and I'm not labrocca's "Bud", more like a virtual acquaintance. A bud is someone you know personally in real life.

I don't mind paying because I'd like to give initiative for plugin authors to continue to make great plugins and encourage them to keep working.

Paying will help plugins become better and will ensure any issues will be fixed faster as the author has an initiative to work harder. Paying will also guarantee I get support quicker if an issue arises and so on.

You get what you pay for, can you expect someone to give you something for free and then provide service for free as well? Think of this as a subscription as a service, you are not only paying for the access to the plugins but quicker support as well.

Personally it's his business if he wants to do this as he is the one doing the work so it's his call, and there are many willing to pay to support him and the projects he works on. With prices going up nearly everywhere now, it is ideal to add such a system to keep the project going. If he was to raveled up working a job all day everyday there would barely be time to work on plugins and provide support.

Once you code a plugin, it's your decision what you want to do with it so you should generally respect authors decisions like labrocca. Plugins do not necessarily fall under the same license Mybb does, as there are even projects under the GNU/GPL that offer paid services or paid access to extras in order to fund the project.Wink

Of course if you don't want to or can't pay for the subscription you are always welcome to use alternative plugins that provide some/most of the same functions but thats you're choice, no one is forcing you to pay a for the subscription.

Why do you all keep trying to make it about what is or isnt allowed here? ME AND EVERYONE ELSE is FULLY aware that MYBB allows this.

In either case he is one of very few who do this on the free scripts. Heck even most of the paid scripts like IPB and vB the mods/plugins are free. Funny how one sees appreciation for their work from another. Usually most ask for donations if they need funds to keep their sites alive. I know plenty of MUCH larger sites then his own where donations work very well. Only reason he is doing this is so he can earn his living at home. Has ZERO to do with wanting appreciation. So stop trying to make it about that. Why too no matter what anyone says i am now pretty sure he wont be changing his mind ( He obviously needs the money to stay home and work ) and thus why this will be my last post about the subject. He is free to do as he likes.
HarryWx Wrote:I'll remain silent from here on out on this issue.

Did you forget the contents of your previous post....

HarryWx Wrote:and thus why this will be my last post about the subject.

??

Several times you've made it clear how you feel about folks "selling" their mods/plug ins, there's no need to persist in trying to put your points across, you're beginning to sound like a record that's stuck on one spot!!

Hey all you other guys, let's have a "whip around" and get together $4.99 for a subscription to Labrocca's site, for HarryWx!! :p
I'll chuck in a dollar If I get another client, or is that blood-money? Hmmm.....
lufbra Wrote:Did you forget the contents of your previous post....

??

Several times you've made it clear how you feel about folks "selling" their mods/plug ins, there's no need to persist in trying to put your points across, you're beginning to sound like a record that's stuck on one spot!!

Hey all you other guys, let's have a "whip around" and get together $4.99 for a subscription to Labrocca's site, for HarryWx!! :p

ahero4heor Wrote:I'll chuck in a dollar If I get another client, or is that blood-money? Hmmm.....

Hmm, is it just me, or are these two posts clearly out of the limit of what this original post is about? Smile
Imo, having a paid system have its pros and cons.

Pros:
Attract more modders to release their plugins and provide more support to users. Most plugin makers release their plugin and disappear for a period of time, this system can have to attract them to stay longer. We waited like more than a year for someone to release a blog or gallery plugin and hopefully, this new system can motivate people to release one.

Cons:
Having problems attracting people to use MyBB.
MyBB is a great forum software but as compared to other popular software like PHPBB, the users are lacking.
Imo, this is because of the lack of modifications that is widely available for free like PHPBB. If every plugin maker walk this path, then eventually, MyBB will be a free script with paid add-ons. If i have to paid for every add-ons i need, i may as well saved the money and bought a paid forum software like Vbulletin where most of the mods i find here i can download for free.

To me is a double-edge sword, and to be honest, Labrocca and Lex- are of the most active plugin makers here, if they decided to charge a fee, it is hard to find a free alternative. Whether we like it or not, if we decided to use MyBB and we need a plugin that is made by them, we dont have a choice if we are not a programmer like them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4