MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question time.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am just wondering that when you delete a topic with say 30 replies all from different users. Does the system remove 1 post count from each of those users as well as 1 from the topic author?

I am making a simple forum which i am wondering about things like that may be too database intensive?
I believe it does it in MyBB 1.2.x, so yes, it does it in 1.4.

It does do a fair number of queries, however, typically people don't delete that many large threads Toungue
Yeah i was thinking of doing it but it did occur to me it would be quite a few queries but then i also though that i doubt many forums would be deleting whole topics a lot, and i doubt they would even delete posts all that much.

Another question > I am kinda stumped on how to do new forum and new post markers if the users hasn't seen them yet.
I think there's two things that are checked:
1) User's last visit time as opposed to the last post time of a forum
2) Whether the user has read the forum or not

Haven't confirmed that, but I think that's how it works.
Ah so each forum table has a last post time that is updated when a new post is made?

But then wouldn't each user need a row in another table for each forum to with their last visited time?

Also wouldn't you need to update the last visit time on every page?
(2008-06-21, 11:28 AM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]Ah so each forum table has a last post time that is updated when a new post is made?
Yes
(2008-06-21, 11:28 AM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]But then wouldn't each user need a row in another table for each forum to with their last visited time?
Yes (lastvisit in mybb_users, and mybb_threadsread)
(2008-06-21, 11:28 AM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]Also wouldn't you need to update the last visit time on every page?
Yes

Three for three! Smile
(2008-06-21, 11:26 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-06-21, 11:28 AM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]Ah so each forum table has a last post time that is updated when a new post is made?
Yes
(2008-06-21, 11:28 AM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]But then wouldn't each user need a row in another table for each forum to with their last visited time?
(2008-06-21, 11:28 AM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]Also wouldn't you need to update the last visit time on every page?
Yes

Three for three! Smile

I'm getting there now.

If the user has a "last visit time" in the user table row how do you know when they last visited each seperate forum to show if they have visited or not. Their last visit time is not necessarily the last time they visit each individual forum?
(2008-06-22, 12:23 PM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-06-21, 11:26 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]
Yes
Yes

Three for three! Smile

I'm getting there now.

If the user has a "last visit time" in the user table row how do you know when they last visited each seperate forum to show if they have visited or not. Their last visit time is not necessarily the last time they visit each individual forum?

mybb_forumsread and mybb_threadsread tables for tracking. These are new to MyBB 1.4
So each user would have a row in forumsread and threadsread for each forum and topic?

Seems a bit overkill, since for 5 forums and 20 members that is already 100 rows?
(2008-06-22, 05:23 PM)liamdawe Wrote: [ -> ]So each user would have a row in forumsread and threadsread for each forum and topic?

Seems a bit overkill, since for 5 forums and 20 members that is already 100 rows?

No, not for each user. Only when they've read the topic are they inserted. And then entries older than 24 hours are trimmed from the table. That is the default "cut-off".

There is a lot that goes into the system that you wouldn't understand without a lot of explaining, so I suggest you wait until 1.4 comes out and take a look at it and play with it yourself.
Pages: 1 2